Feldman's Very Short Trumpet Piece (on Eb tuba)

Started by Catison, December 10, 2007, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catison

Hey guys,

For my department talent show, I thought I would do something a little interesting.  I play tuba in a brass band and in a brass quintet.  I don't get a lot of chances to play contemporary, modern music, so I thought I would play some Feldman for this talent show.  It would acquaint some of my labmates with the type of music I find like.

The only problem is that Feldman didn't write anything for tuba.  So I found A Very Short Trumpet Piece and decided to play it on tuba.  I think it will work well.  I am also going to project pictures of clouds behind me and a randomly selected sequence.  I think Feldman would have liked it.

I just recorded myself very quickly with very poor equipment.  I missed a few notes, but I was trying to keep the mic positioned correctly as I was playing.  I added some artificial reverb so that the recording didn't sound completely dry, as this was done in my living room.

My question is this:  for those of you who know what Feldman is supposed to sound like, does this sound like Feldman to you?  Any big picture suggestions?

For reference, there is a recording available on this site of a trumpet playing the piece.  The pitches are different because my tuba is in Eb while the trumpet is in Bb.

Again sorry for the poor quality.
[mp3=200,20,0,center]https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/btstewart/Music/feldman_tuba/feldman-short_trumpet_on_tuba_Brett.mp3[/mp3]
-Brett