Bach's St. Matthew Passion

Started by Bogey, December 10, 2007, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

I agree with Shrunk. I was brought up on the Klemperer style performances. I always felt the sound needed to be massive. Years ago I started to follow the HIP recordings as they were issued and I have a number of treasured performances from the first Richter to the 2nd Harnoncourt. But to be left with only one performance I would save the McCreesh, as far away from massive as it is possible to get. Nevertheless it packs an emotional, spiritual and dramatic punch like few others.

However, as an only and possibly first, I think something more mainstream would be best and then move onto McCreesh.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

val

Regarding the old versions, my favorite is Jochum with the sublime Häfliger.

The version conducted by Wöldicke with Ebrelius and Stich-Randal is also very good.

After them, there is the very dramatic Harnoncourt, with Equiluz, in his first version (the second version with Pregardien is one the worst things Harnoncourt made this last years), and Gardiner with his sublime Monteverdi Choir.

But I am still waiting for THE version of this Passion. The other, the St. John's Passion has already THE version: Schreier.

Bogey

Still have not purchased a performance yet to take the place of my later Richter recording.

Listened to samples of this for quite some time last night Q and found that I truly enjoyed the choir, even more so than the Herreweghe I recording.  However, the soloists in all three of the recordings, the Herreweghe and the two Hanoncourts, I have found positives and negatives.  I even gave the McCreesh a solid try and enjoyed that as well.....soooooooo, I have decided two things:

1. One recording will not suffice here in the long run. ;D
2. I am going to give it a bit more sampling/time before finally deciding.  Usually I would just go with one quickly, but except for this piece, I am going to try to stay away from making any purchases this year where I am repeating a piece that I already have on the shelf, and only repeat if the repetition is coupled or included with piece/set that I do not already own.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

dave b

St Matthew's Passion. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great recording of this?

DavidW

Quote from: dave b on March 22, 2008, 02:44:47 PM
St Matthew's Passion. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great recording of this?

Karl Richter.

(poco) Sforzando

Helmuth Rilling on Hanssler. A mainstream approach between the old-fashioned style of a Klemperer and a more HIP style. Excellent vocal work from the quite dramatic Evangelist, Michael Schade, and the other vocal soloists.

His St. John Passion is also quite good, and has the advantage of presenting all the variant versions on a 3rd CD.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

dave b

Thanks. That was quick. I had just typed in my question and your answer came back. I appreciate it.

dave b

That thank you was first to David W and then to the second person. You folks know your stuff.  Maybe someday I will.....But I'm learning, and willing to learn.

Norbeone

Gardiner is the only recording I have and i'm perfectly happy with it. Though I suspect someone here will feel differently.   0:)

Don

Quote from: Norbeone on March 22, 2008, 04:32:21 PM
Gardiner is the only recording I have and i'm perfectly happy with it. Though I suspect someone here will feel differently.   0:)

Try to give the 1st Herreweghe set a listen.  I prefer it to his more recent recording - a little .more intense and has Barbara Schlick and Peter Kooy.

karlhenning

Not strictly the question . . . but it is now sounding at Symphony Hall even as we speak.

FideLeo

The new John Butt recording on Linn, in high-resolution, surround sound!
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

dave b

Hi again, karlhenning-----that is what made me ask the question. And I cannot get WCRB down here on the Cape, only WFCC, so I cannot hear it live on the radio as I could with WCRB.  So instead of listening to it, I am asking about it. A very very poor substitute indeed :)

hautbois

Even a slightly better than mediocre LIVE performance would be quite satisfying. Of course, it's ignorant to say that, but live performances tend to move far better than recordings if it is your first time listening to a piece. That said, Gardiner, Harnoncourt, Bloomstedt, Rilling and Veldhoven, all of them, has something profound to say in their interpretations.

Howard

The new erato

In which case my recommendation for McCreesh will be already on board. For another OVPP recording I am very interested in the new Linn recording, however I will seek out their Messiah first.

FideLeo

Quote from: erato on March 23, 2008, 02:07:49 AM
In which case my recommendation for McCreesh will be already on board. For another OVPP recording I am very interested in the new Linn recording, however I will seek out their Messiah forst.

I don't think you will be disappointed in either Butt's SMP or Messiah if you know what to expect -- definitely not some ultra stylised, polished singing/playing like in either Herreweghe, but something vital and refreshing.   It has been a joy for me to hear the orchestral/vocal details echo and flow into each other in this OVPP recording of SMP -- such is the balance and transparency of textures it's like reading the (sometimes fairly complex) score with one's own ears. The use of harpsichord continuo for one of the two "cori" (which in Schutz or Gabrieli are nearly always an OVPP formation) is really interesting and adds a welcomed variety to the overall sonority.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Guido

Hi all. I was just about to buy the Gardner version, but then noticed that it had countertenors in it, which I find difficult to stomach at the best of times (especially when they are singing Erbarme Dich). A shame because I like all the other singers on it (especially Barbara Bonney). So I was just wondering if there were any HIP recordings that use no countertenors?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Que

Quote from: Guido on March 23, 2008, 04:25:08 AM
So I was just wondering if there were any HIP recordings that use no countertenors?

Harnoncourt II has no countertenors.

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Guido on March 23, 2008, 04:25:08 AM
Hi all. I was just about to buy the Gardner version, but then noticed that it had countertenors in it, which I find difficult to stomach at the best of times (especially when they are singing Erbarme Dich). A shame because I like all the other singers on it (especially Barbara Bonney). So I was just wondering if there were any HIP recordings that use no countertenors?

The John Butt recording doesn't have one.  But he uses up to 8 singers only most of the time, and the singing style is not in the least bel canto-ish (some would readily dismiss it as amateurish I can imagine, but I think it's the director's choice).  I don't think that's everyone's cup of tea on a Good Friday afternoon.  ;)  Perhaps for the adventurous and the curious only!  Those who have access to Early Music magazine can search for Butt's reasoned and balanced contributions on the Bach - OVPP debate.  This recording vividly reflects his Bach scholarship.

Coopmv

This set just arrived from MDT today.  I think some of you consider this the best version of St Matthew ever ...