The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach's St. Matthew Passion

<< < (82/84) > >>

DavidW:

--- Quote from: Handelian on February 09, 2021, 01:14:41 PM ---Just acquired the second Herreweghe recording. It really is a fabulously beautiful performance of the great work. I have his first but I think this is even better. Another recording to my somewhat extensive library!

--- End quote ---

Is that performance OVPP?

Handelian:

--- Quote from: DavidW on February 09, 2021, 02:56:33 PM ---Is that performance OVPP?

--- End quote ---

No with choir and orchestra. HIP though of course

Papy Oli:
bumpity bump.

For a maiden exploration of this lengthy work, what would be the key/"famous" Choruses / Arias / Recitatives worth focusing on when sampling the various recordings of the SMP please ?

Thank you.

OrchestralNut:

--- Quote from: Papy Oli on April 12, 2022, 12:44:50 AM ---bumpity bump.

For a maiden exploration of this lengthy work, what would be the key/"famous" Choruses / Arias / Recitatives worth focusing on when sampling the various recordings of the SMP please ?

Thank you.

--- End quote ---

Mache dich, mein Herze, rein

The final aria for bass voice. Still one of the most beautiful movements in all of music, for me.

Biffo:

--- Quote from: Papy Oli on April 12, 2022, 12:44:50 AM ---bumpity bump.

Thank you.

--- End quote ---

You could try the beginning and the end - the opening chorus of Part I and the closing scene of Part II, No 64 onwards, beginning with the recitative 'Am Abend da es kuhle war'. They contain some of my favourite bits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version