Bach's St. Matthew Passion

Started by Bogey, December 10, 2007, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Marc on February 08, 2009, 10:25:47 AM
But I agree, Arleen Augér would be a fine choice for one of the soprano parts.

Regrettably, she is deceased - a great loss for the musical world... :-\

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on February 08, 2009, 11:08:59 AM

Q

She was one of the very few American-born sopranos that really hit it big internationally ...

Marc

Quote from: Que on February 08, 2009, 11:08:59 AM

Q

Alle Menschen müssen sterben, but Augér died far too young, indeed.

Love her truly in Bach's 'Aus Liebe will mein Heiland sterben', but also in Haydn/Mozart/Schubert songs and/or aria's. In the seventies and eighties, she was a well-known face and voice in the Netherlands, with a lot of broadcast performances in the Concertgebouw. No punishment at all to watch and hear her sing!

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on February 08, 2009, 11:58:52 AM
Alle Menschen müssen sterben, but Augér died far too young, indeed.

We also lost Lorraine Hunt two years ago ...

Marc

Quote from: Coopmv on February 08, 2009, 12:07:02 PM
We also lost Lorraine Hunt two years ago ...

I know, these are sad stories, but let Bach's music (or any other's) be a comfort to us, then. Even when it is sung or played by our mourned favourites.

Composers and musicians die. Their music doesn't. To me, that's a comforting thought .... which I can enjoy while I'm still alive. And after that ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Q6rxdPT7A

Novi

Quote from: Coopmv on February 08, 2009, 08:16:28 AM
I like Peter Schreier in the role of the Evangelist in Karl Richter's DVD and have warmed up to Dietrich Henschel.  I have yet to listen to the set by Herreweghe where Ian Bostridge was the Evangelist ...

I've been eyeing the Herreweghe II for some time, but don't like Bostridge very much, so that's been putting me off. Mind you, I like Herreweghe I and that has Rene Jacobs (singing) :-\. But I suppose the Evangelist is altogether more omnipresent a role.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

knight66

Quote from: Mandryka on February 08, 2009, 08:07:34 AM

The other was in a great stages production, made for the BBC, by Jonathan Miller.

And if you can ever see a video recording of the Miller production, do so -- it was beautiful.

This also was terrific. I saw it on TV, so perhaps at some point it will surface. It may even have had more impact as a film, than in the cavernous ENO theatre.

http://www.andante.com/article/article.cfm?id=16555&highlight=1&highlightterms=&lstKeywords=

I also admire Schreier as the Evangelist. I was in some performances with him, (choir), he was taking that part and the tenor singing the arias, Philip Langridge, fell ill. Schreier simply took over and sang all the tenor music. He was magnificent.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Coopmv

Quote from: Novi on February 08, 2009, 12:41:50 PM
I've been eyeing the Herreweghe II for some time, but don't like Bostridge very much, so that's been putting me off. Mind you, I like Herreweghe I and that has Rene Jacobs (singing) :-\. But I suppose the Evangelist is altogether more omnipresent a role.

I actually like Ian Bostridge.  The guy has a PhD from Cambridge but decided he prefers a career in singing/performing sacred works and I respect that.  He was in the following Harnoncourt's DVD with Bernarda Fink I own and both impressed me.

Novi

Quote from: Coopmv on February 08, 2009, 01:19:29 PM
I actually like Ian Bostridge.  The guy has a PhD from Cambridge but decided he prefers a career in singing/performing sacred works and I respect that.  He was in the following Harnoncourt's DVD with Bernarda Fink I own and both impressed me.

Haha, he chose well. Singing (at his level) is a helluva lot less stressful and a thousand times more lucrative than an academic career ;D.

I guess it's just a matter of preferences. I've heard some of his Schubert, on disk with Uchida, and live with Pappano, and found his style a bit mannered and didn't like the way he kind of over-enunciates. It didn't help that he mugs about a bit in performance, lolling over the piano. I'm very much on my L plates in vocal music though and strangely enough, Bostridge's voice is perhaps the only one that I can recognise blind.

(I've not heard any of his Bach though).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen

Coopmv

I enjoyed this Richter's St Matthew Passion DVD.  The singing was quite good and this may be the only game in town if you want something more than just the audio ...

Bulldog

Quote from: Novi on February 08, 2009, 01:53:14 PM

I guess it's just a matter of preferences. I've heard some of his Schubert, on disk with Uchida, and live with Pappano, and found his style a bit mannered and didn't like the way he kind of over-enunciates. It didn't help that he mugs about a bit in performance, lolling over the piano. I'm very much on my L plates in vocal music though and strangely enough, Bostridge's voice is perhaps the only one that I can recognise blind.

(I've not heard any of his Bach though).

I've only heard Bostridge in Bach and find him exceptional.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on February 08, 2009, 02:19:03 PM
I've only heard Bostridge in Bach and find him exceptional.

The same here.  Perhaps Bostridge is really over-extending himself beyond his expertise?

Novi

Quote from: Coopmv on February 08, 2009, 03:44:36 PM
The same here.  Perhaps Bostridge is really over-extending himself beyond his expertise?

I doubt very much. The problem is probably in my ears :).

Having said that, Mark Padmore is also someone who I find impressive in Bach but less so in Schubert. And to go back on topic, I like Padmore's Evangelist for McCreesh very much, although I think the McCreesh recording was panned by many critics.

Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen

Jay F

Quote from: Bulldog on February 08, 2009, 08:17:13 AM
Don't forget Herreweghe's first recording, also on Harmonia Mundi.

It is my favorite, too. One of my favorite recordings of any kind.

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Matth%C3%A4us-Passion-Blockwitz-Chappelle-Herreweghe/dp/B000000767 (How do I make < this into a link that just says "St. Matthew Passion"?)

Bulldog

Quote from: nicht schleppend on February 08, 2009, 04:37:32 PM

Sir, you have superb musical taste. 8)

Novi

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Matth%C3%A4us-Passion-Blockwitz-Chappelle-Herreweghe/dp/B000000767 (How do I make < this into a link that just says "St. Matthew Passion"?)

Do you mean like this?

St. Matthew Passion

If you quote this post, you'll see the url commands :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen

Jay F

Quote from: Novi on February 08, 2009, 04:53:34 PM
Do you mean like this?

St. Matthew Passion

If you quote this post, you'll see the url commands :).

St. Matthew Passion

Look. I did it.

Another fishing lesson.

Coopmv

When I was ripping the second St Matthew Passion recording by Herreweghe to my desktop, the Windows Media Player somehow matches the same CD artwork from the first recording, as shown in your link to the tracks I have ripped.  Whoever that maintains these album information certainly is not up to date ...

Marc

Quote from: Coopmv on February 08, 2009, 02:07:17 PM
I enjoyed this Richter's St Matthew Passion DVD.  The singing was quite good and this may be the only game in town if you want something more than just the audio ...
[image link]

Here's another one:
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Matthew-Passion-Guttenberg-Neubeuern/dp/B00006LPED/ref=pd_cp_d_2?pf_rd_p=413864101&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000EBGF18&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1D5627VPFBS95CGM4CDV

And for the 'HIP' lovers, there's also a DVD available:
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Matthew-Passion-Jorg-Durmuller/dp/B000EBGF18

Coopmv