Bach's St. Matthew Passion

Started by Bogey, December 10, 2007, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Bill,

I really enjoyed this DVD set by Ton Koopman.  Excellent performance that was expertly filmed IMO ...

Marc

Quote from: Coopmv on June 06, 2010, 03:20:34 AM
[....]
I am eagerly awaiting for the release of the SMP by Veldhoven and the Netherlands Bach Society.  I like Johannette Zomer in her other soprano roles and would like to hear how she did in Veldhoven's SMP ...
Van Veldhoven is a solid choice for this repertoire. I value his (live) recording of the SMP above his (studio) recording of the 1724 SJP .... though just by a small margin.

Quote from: SonicMan on July 01, 2010, 05:28:53 PM
[....]
Hopefully, I can pick up a couple more versions of this work which are best appreciated by all - thanks for any input! [....]

To me, this recording by Hermann Max is one of those 'silent favourites'. Fast yet not hasty. Good singers, good choir, good spirit. Wonderful readings of some arias, especially 'Erbarme dich, mein Gott'.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Marc on July 03, 2010, 10:38:53 AM
Van Veldhoven is a solid choice for this repertoire. I value his (live) recording of the SMP above his (studio) recording of the 1724 SJP .... though just by a small margin.
To me, this recording by Hermann Max is one of those 'silent favourites'. Fast yet not hasty. Good singers, good choir, good spirit. Wonderful readings of some arias, especially 'Erbarme dich, mein Gott'.

Marc - thanks for the comments; I've heard and culled a number of recordings of the SMP, and was just surprised that I had just one!  I do like the Max and it will remain in my collection, but could easily add at least one or possibly 2 more (that should be enough for me) - will be keeping notes - Dave  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on July 03, 2010, 12:39:04 PM
Marc - thanks for the comments; I've heard and culled a number of recordings of the SMP, and was just surprised that I had just one!  I do like the Max and it will remain in my collection, but could easily add at least one or possibly 2 more (that should be enough for me) - will be keeping notes - Dave  ;D

The version by van Veldhoven should be my last SMP to purchase since I already have 15 versions, not including the big box from BC, the 22 CD-set by Gardiner and the 60-CD Harnoncourt Complete Cantatas set.  I have Ton Koopman's SMP on a 2-DVD set and probably will not bother with the identical audio CD set ... 

van Veldhoven is a more recent discovery for me, thanks to Q for the recommendation on his Veldhoven's Bach Christmas Oratorio ...

Marc

Quote from: SonicMan on July 03, 2010, 12:39:04 PM
Dave, my first advice will be: read the thread. :)
It can be fun, reading some interesting comments of members who have heard more than a handful recordings.

My personal fave would probably be the recording by Gustav Leonhardt et al, mainly because I think it's a very committed and consistent protestant reading which gives me the feeling of a true sermon, with dramatic 'intermissions'.
But I do realize that this all-male performance might not be everyone's cup of tea.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Marc on July 03, 2010, 12:57:43 PM
Dave, my first advice will be: read the thread. :)
It can be fun, reading some interesting comments of members who have heard more than a handful recordings.

My personal fave would probably be the recording by Gustav Leonhardt et al, mainly..............................

Marc - thanks for your continued comments - I did read through much of the thread the other night; of course, lots of 'hiccups & repetitions' w/ posters coming in at different times and w/ the same questions, like me!  :-\

But, I'm gravitating toward Harnoncourt, Herreweghe, Leonhardt, & McCreesh (the latter seems a must have but not a first choice, esp. if a collector wants just one?) - now I could pick up several more (3 would be enough for me) and McCreesh appears a 'must hear' - now as to the others?

The set below w/ 5 discs and including two passions seems like a great bargain, plus on my list - I know that this offering has been discussed in the past, but would appreciate any updated thoughts (and I could certainly use another performance of the alternate passion) - thanks all!  Dave  :)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on July 04, 2010, 02:59:05 PM

The set below w/ 5 discs and including two passions seems like a great bargain, plus on my list - I know that this offering has been discussed in the past, but would appreciate any updated thoughts (and I could certainly use another performance of the alternate passion) - thanks all!  Dave  :)

Have it and love it, Dave!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on July 04, 2010, 08:18:20 PM
Have it and love it, Dave!

Dave,

Same here.  I think Bill and I got the set right around the same time ...

ccar

One of the most underrated and magnificent interpretations of the St. Mathew Passion is back. Tahra Records recently issued Scherchen's 1953 Westminster recording with the Vienna State Opera Orchestra and Hughes Cuénod as the Evangelist. For me it still is one of the most illuminating and "spiritual" renditions of this work.

There were some previous CD releases in the 1990's – MCA and Victor Japan – but they are OOP for years. The Victor is a superb transfer. But this new Tahra edition is also important for the magnificent essay from Francis Jansky included in the notes – one of the most politically incorrect but important musical reflections I read in years.       

http://www.amazon.fr/Passion-Selon-Saint-Mathieu-Jean-Sebastien/dp/B003PN5TWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1284297179&sr=1-1

czgirb

Does anybody make a comparison between Harnoncourt 1st & 3rd? what is your opinion.
Does anybody would do a favor by delivered me the MP3's file of the same movement to compare?
Because I wish to buy the 1st ... but 3rd won the Best Choral Work ... that's why I confused.
Thank you.

FideLeo

Quote from: czgirb on January 21, 2011, 12:02:41 AM
Because I wish to buy the 1st ...
Thank you.

Someone put the entire '1st' on youtube, and this is the opening movement plus the first recitatives and chorale.

http://www.youtube.com/v/8AQzG3JuJPc

Listen for yourself.  Equiluz's work as the Evangelist has been highly praised by many.

ps. Another poster has uploaded the opening movement from the '3rd' as well
http://www.youtube.com/v/tVPUpyvdO1g

I have both in my collection but listen to OVPP more these days for the 'choral' parts myself.  Massed voices really confuse the already complicated texture of this music for me.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: masolino on January 21, 2011, 02:04:17 AM
Someone put the entire '1st' on youtube, and this is the opening movement plus the first recitatives and chorale.

Listen for yourself.  Equiluz's work as the Evangelist has been highly praised by many.  I listen to OVPP SMP more these days for the 'choral' parts. 

Is this version generally well regarded? I have a definite opinion of it based just on this.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

FideLeo

Quote from: ukrneal on January 21, 2011, 02:13:45 AM
Is this version generally well regarded? I have a definite opinion of it based just on this.

The first?  In the LP days very much, because it was the only HIP attempt to do that music known to the public at the time.  Won the Edison plus several other international record prizes.  The Evangelist did brilliant work as well.  But I am not sure whether that revered status is still well deserved these days.  Some of the boy sopranos and falsetto altos especially can sound a bit of a trial to today's audience.  To my ears, Harnoncourt's work as a 'director' (music as drama) seems a bit flaccid as well in retrospect.  That he has much improved in the third recording.  Thirty years of experience counts. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: masolino on January 21, 2011, 02:24:39 AM
The first?  In the LP days very much, because it was the only HIP attempt to do that music known to the public at the time.  Won the Edison plus several other international record prizes.  The Evangelist did brilliant work as well.  But I am not sure whether that revered status is still well deserved these days.  Some of the boy sopranos and falsetto altos especially can sound a bit of a trial to today's audience.  To my ears, Harnoncourt's work as a 'director' (music as drama) seems a bit flaccid as well in retrospect.  That he has much improved in the third recording.  Thirty years of experience counts.
Sorry -was referring to the first. I definitely did not like that (and that's putting it nicely). The 3rd version (the other youtube version) was much better. The first one seemed totally flaccid to me. The other has much better energy (and flow).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

FideLeo

Quote from: ukrneal on January 21, 2011, 02:37:34 AM
I definitely did not like that (and that's putting it nicely). The 3rd version (the other youtube version) was much better. The first one seemed totally flaccid to me. The other has much better energy (and flow).

Yes I certainly agree with that as a listener from the 20th-21st centuries.  :)  The views and values in aesthetic matters would have been different in Bach's own time, but it's hard to tell to what extent even with musicological work.

czgirb

Quote from: masolino on January 21, 2011, 02:04:17 AM
Listen for yourself.  Equiluz's work as the Evangelist has been highly praised by many.
I have both in my collection but listen to OVPP more these days for the 'choral' parts myself.  Massed voices really confuse the already complicated texture of this music for me.

Thank you very very much ...
Thank you too for your explanation.
Firstly, I found both clips on YouTube and give myself a listen ... and confused. which one is the 1st and which one is the 3rd.
Because the clips, which you said to be the 1st is used 3rd's Cover ... http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Vocal/BWV244-Harnoncourt.htm
While the other used Manuscript only.
But today ... thank you very very much.

Quote from: ukrneal on January 21, 2011, 02:37:34 AM
... the 3rd version ... was much better ...

Yup! I absolutely agree with you ...

czgirb

I also see Koopman' & Richter's live performance for the same work ...
I find Koopman's style is much more funny & enjoyable than Richter, which looks like to formal.
I just say the CLIP ... not the RECORDING's

To me ... Richter (1959), Herreweghe (1984), and Gardiner ... both are top notch.
Planning ... Harnoncourt 2000.

Coopmv

Quote from: czgirb on January 21, 2011, 05:29:36 PM
I also see Koopman' & Richter's live performance for the same work ...
I find Koopman's style is much more funny & enjoyable than Richter, which looks like to formal.
I just say the CLIP ... not the RECORDING's

To me ... Richter (1959), Herreweghe (1984), and Gardiner ... both are top notch.
Planning ... Harnoncourt 2000.

I have the SMP dvd sets by both Koopman and Richter.  I found Richter conducting with a very disarming charm - absolutely relaxed and almost lack of any intensity.  To be sure, the two conducting styles were very different.  On the other hand, I found Harnoncourt very intense compared with both Koopman and Richter.

One also has to watch Richter conducting the Brandenburg Concertos to realize he should not be dismissed as totally non-HIP.  He clearly scaled his Munich Bach Chamber Orchestra according to the particular concerto the group was performing, which was only clear from watching the dvd.

czgirb

Quote from: Coopmv on January 21, 2011, 05:44:01 PM
... I found Harnoncourt very intense compared with both Koopman and Richter ...

Would you mind to lead me where to see it? I wish I can see Harnoncourt on SMP ...

Quote from: Coopmv on January 21, 2011, 05:44:01 PM
One also has to watch Richter conducting the Brandenburg Concertos to realize he should not be dismissed as totally non-HIP.  He clearly scaled his Munich Bach Chamber Orchestra according to the particular concerto the group was performing, which was only clear from watching the dvd.
Yes ... I have that too.

Coopmv

Quote from: czgirb on January 21, 2011, 05:58:01 PM
Would you mind to lead me where to see it? I wish I can see Harnoncourt on SMP ...
Yes ... I have that too.

My apology as my last post was not so clear.  Harnoncourt does not have an SMP performance on DVD.  I was just comparing his general conducting style I have observed for the Bach Cantatas and Brandenburg Concertos ...