Pretty good Bolero

Started by 12tone., December 10, 2007, 07:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12tone.

Youtubed Ravel's Bolero and got this.

Daniel Barenboim conducts...but doesn't do much.  You'll note at 4:09-4:17 on video part 1 he just stands there doing nothing.  He throws his hand in the air for a second and that's it.  Later on, still standing there, he throws punches and makes awkward, jolty moves.  Is this normal for him?  Where's keeping the 3/4 time (or 9/8)? 

Anyway, a pretty good performance!

MishaK

Quote from: 12tone. on December 10, 2007, 07:51:57 PM
Daniel Barenboim conducts...but doesn't do much.  You'll note at 4:09-4:17 on video part 1 he just stands there doing nothing.  He throws his hand in the air for a second and that's it.  Later on, still standing there, he throws punches and makes awkward, jolty moves.  Is this normal for him?  Where's keeping the 3/4 time (or 9/8)? 

There is nothing for him to do here, except indicate phrasings and dynamics. There is a constant meter provided by the snare drum. Absolutely no reason for the conductor to beat time. Any idiot can count bars if you have a competent percussionist manning the snare drum in this piece. And yes, Barenboim is not one to unnecessarily play traffic cop when there is no reason to do so.

BTW, this is from a "Latin Night" DVD of a Waldbühne concert of the BPO which is a lot of fun.

jochanaan

Daniel Barenboim conducts...but doesn't do much.  You'll note at 4:09-4:17 on video part 1 he just stands there doing nothing.  He throws his hand in the air for a second and that's it.  Later on, still standing there, he throws punches and makes awkward, jolty moves...
That just shows the orchestra knows what they're doing. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

karlhenning

Daniel Barenboim conducts...but doesn't do much.

Sometimes, less is more.

BachQ

Daniel Barenboim conducts...but doesn't do much. 

We only see what's above the waist .......

jochanaan

Quote from: D Minor on December 11, 2007, 12:42:06 PM
We only see what's above the waist .......
Reports I've heard from musicians who've seen Barenboim live suggest that he's no Elvis. ;D

MishaK

Quote from: jochanaan on December 11, 2007, 12:48:43 PM
Reports I've heard from musicians who've seen Barenboim live suggest that he's no Elvis. ;D

You evidently forgot the "Barenboim Hula".

MishaK

BTW, another great example of no need to keep the beat for the Berliners, because the percussion section knows what they're doing: http://youtube.com/watch?v=i84zyG_ts78&feature=related

MishaK

12tone,

I just ran across this radio interview with Max Raimi, one of the CSO violists. Some wonderful anecdotes as to why Barenboim sometimes just gives no beat at all.

http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=15,1,39,3

12tone.

Quote from: O Mensch on December 26, 2007, 12:48:57 PM
12tone,

I just ran across this radio interview with Max Raimi, one of the CSO violists. Some wonderful anecdotes as to why Barenboim sometimes just gives no beat at all.

http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=15,1,39,3

Thanks for that.  Sounds kind of weird though...telling the orchestra that the timpanist is the conductor.  That's a bit minimalist for me.  I like more action-oriented conductors.  ;)

jochanaan

Quote from: 12tone. on December 28, 2007, 05:36:34 PM
Thanks for that.  Sounds kind of weird though...telling the orchestra that the timpanist is the conductor.  That's a bit minimalist for me.  I like more action-oriented conductors.  ;)
And yet, as an orchestral player myself, I understand exactly why Barenboim does this: to force the orchestra to think musically, rather than mechanically, as Mr. Raimi describes.  I've heard enough wonderfully sensitive performances from Barenboim's orchestras to make me respect him as much as any conductor working today.  I know of no conductor working today that draws a similar kind of flexibility and sensitivity from orchestras.  (Historically, Wilhelm Furtwängler, Bruno Walter, Fritz Reiner, Günter Wand, Sergiu Celibidache, and Wolfgang Sawallisch among others had such flexibility.  George Szell, Herbert von Karajan, and Lorin Maazel, on the other hand, although they sometimes indulge in considerable tempo fluctuation, seem to do so with calculation rather than with Barenboim's apparent spontaneity.)

MishaK

Quote from: 12tone. on December 28, 2007, 05:36:34 PM

A conductor is not simply there to give a beat like a metronome. Or as Haitink put it "I'm not a traffic cop".