Author Topic: What's the point of listening to so much music?  (Read 31538 times)

DavidW

Re: What's the point of listening to so much music?
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »
I am glad to say I have never been in the supermarket yet where the carrots were the spawn of Satan.

(Where do you go shopping, Ben?)

; )

It's gotta be walmart! ;D  Oh wait they don't have walmart in the UK do they?  What a heavenly place that must be. 0:)

Offline owlice

« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2010, 08:45:11 AM »
Karl, thanks for the bunnies!

(I'm hoping that someone will be able to answer my question over on the Great Recordings thread, about the piano on the Richter English Suites recording, because not knowing what the piano was is *really* bugging me! Please oh please let there be a piano credit on the recording, and let someone here have the recording and post that information!!)

must consider the possibility that WalMart is the spawn of Satan

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
It's gotta be walmart! ;D  Oh wait they don't have walmart in the UK do they?  What a heavenly place that must be. 0:)

God. I would KILL for a Walmart right now. Actually, I nearly killed for a Walmart a month ago, when Marks & Spencer had only one variety of pillow, the housewares store was "out" of all dishes and silverware, and I had to settle for 50% cotton sheets because the real cotton sheets were something like $40 each. Seriously, the perceived evil factor of Walmart is easy to tolerate when the alternative is an absurd concatenation of bad service, bad stocking, tiny selections, and silly hours.

...as I found out when I finally went to the English store chain which Walmart bought out a few years ago, and discovered that they do indeed have everything:

To give you an idea how loved ASDA is here, there are actually officially city buses, the red double deckers, which literally exist as ASDA shuttles. The little electronic signs in the windshields actually say, "To ASDA," and ASDA actually has a giant bus stop and several bus lanes for them all.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »
Oh, aye, he has a certain concrete consistency ; )

Lol...
"Competitions are for horses. Not artists." - Béla Bartók

Offline Benji

• Veteran member
    • Flickr
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2010, 10:46:49 AM »
I am glad to say I have never been in the supermarket yet where the carrots were the spawn of Satan.

(Where do you go shopping, Ben?)

; )

must consider the possibility that WalMart is the spawn of Satan

BINGO!  :D

Asda Walmart  >:D  They do in fact stock the Spawn of Satan - I bought a bag of spinach and it was crawling with the bane of my life: aphids!  >:D  >:D  >:D  Those little buggers killed off five of my chilli plants, my chives, and now my chervil. Those herbs are for my consumption!  :'(

karlhenning

« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »
At least they didn't charge you extra for the aphids . . . .

Quote from: Giant Toad Supermarkets
Don't worry about the flies: we won't weigh 'em!

Offline Benji

• Veteran member
    • Flickr
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
At least they didn't charge you extra for the aphids . . . .

Well I couldn't eat the stuff after that horrific revelation. They should have labelled it Big Bag of Pestilence.

karlhenning

« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
Oh, of course not! Ptui!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2021, 09:43:35 AM »
The composer writes music and NOBODY knows what he/she was thinking or how it should be played

Sorry to ressurect this topic but the phrase above is not true --- pace John.  0:)

Exhibit A : Mahler / Strauss / Willem Mengelberg.

Exhibit B:

Chopin said with respect to Carl Filtsch: "My God! What a child! Nobody has ever understood me as this child has...It is not imitation, it is the same sentiment, an instinct that makes him play without thinking as if it could not have been any other way. He plays almost all my compositions without having heard me [play them], without being shown the smallest thing - not exactly like me [because he has his own cachet], but certainly not less well."
"Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part."
 --- Claude Debussy