The Worst First!

Started by Cato, December 11, 2007, 11:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: kyjo on October 25, 2017, 12:22:31 PM
I've never been too fond of the first symphonies of Shostakovich and Prokofiev, despite being great admirers of both composers.

I've never taken to Shostakovich's 1st either, but I love Prokofiev's !

There's no doubt in my mind that Dvorak's 1st is pure, unadulterated dreck. It has its defenders of course. They're the same that send pics of their pet to the Ugliest Dog contests  :P.

I have to give it to the man, though: he deserves a prize for the most amazing learning curve in the history of music!

Karl Henning

The Worst First is a symphony none of us has heard, nor will ever hear 8)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: André on October 25, 2017, 12:34:58 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that Dvorak's 1st is pure, unadulterated dreck.

;D :D ;D  ...I love the dreck, especially the first movement.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on October 25, 2017, 12:22:31 PM
I've never been too fond of the first symphonies of Shostakovich and Prokofiev, despite being great admirers of both composers.

I agree with the Shostakovich's. In fact, his symphonies 1-3 don't get much attention from me. But I disagree about the Prokofiev's. It's so amusing and joyful.

I'd say the first symphony by Vincent d'Indy (Symphonie Italienne). It's too weak. Sadly, a few works of this composer appeals me.

Ken B

Schnittke. Pick a number: Schnittke.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Ken B on March 28, 2018, 01:28:47 PM
Schnittke. Pick a number: Schnittke.

What? Schnittke's symphonic oeuvre is a downhill journey after the first. ;D

amw

Generally a safe bet that any withdrawn first symphony is not going to be that great, eg Bruckner's "No. 00" or Szymanowski's First etc.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: amw on March 28, 2018, 04:36:10 PM
Generally a safe bet that any withdrawn first symphony is not going to be that great, eg Bruckner's "No. 00" or Szymanowski's First etc.

Yes but safe bets are not fun.

I'm picking Brahms 1.

Ken B

Quote from: jessop on March 28, 2018, 03:24:54 PM
What? Schnittke's symphonic oeuvre is a downhill journey after the first. ;D
It is. But worst 2nd, Schnittke; worst 3rd, Schnittke; etc.

amw

Schnittke's 2nd can't be worse than Britten's (Spring Symphony) >.>

Jaakko Keskinen

Read only the first 10 pages or so but have to confess I'm surprised that Vaughan Williams's Sea Symphony gets so much dislike. It was the first VW work I heard (seems logical to start from the first symphony, no?) and I loved it.

Walton's 1st is good but not IMO on a par with Belshazzar's Feast or some of his film scores.

I cannot mention Mozart's 1st as a contender for this thread because, weak as it is, it was composed by a child.

Has anyone mentioned or heard Richard Strauss's First? Although it was written by a teenager so it's not much fairer to mention it than Mozart's, whether or not it is a good work.

Although I like it nowadays much more, I would still think Robert Schumann's first symphony is a strong contender for the answer to the thread's question. There is much in it that shows potential but also a large dose of sheer boredom.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Biffo

I don't think Dvorak's first qualifies as the worst ever first, just as Dvorak's weakest. I know from previous discussions elsewhere that many people like it but I don't. Playing the long exposition repeat in the 1st movement - necessary for some, it seems  - only makes it worse.

Cato

Have ELEVEN years gone by, since I posed this question?!

Some early answers:

Quote from: karlhenning on December 11, 2007, 11:30:57 AM
Elgar

Quote from: BachQ on December 11, 2007, 11:32:43 AM
Elgar

Quote from: EmpNapoleon on December 11, 2007, 11:34:51 AM
Thirded.  Some composers can't handle pressure.

Quote from: jochanaan on December 11, 2007, 12:21:57 PM
The least satisfactory First I know is Gounod's.  It's pleasant enough--but against such formidable contenders for good Firsts as Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich and even Bizet, it's simply not in the running.

We now have a home for Gounod under the Composer topic.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 12, 2007, 02:14:27 AM
I just listened to Rachmaninov's first symphony and I think it's even worse than Beethoven's. :P

Wow!  The Rach and Beethoven First Symphonies are all-around faves!

Quote from: Alberich on March 29, 2018, 06:18:48 AM

Read only the first 10 pages or so but have to confess I'm surprised that Vaughan Williams's Sea Symphony gets so much dislike. It was the first VW work I heard (seems logical to start from the first symphony, no?) and I loved it.

That dislike was surprising!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on December 11, 2007, 11:29:07 AM
Yes, in Germany you always eat the Wurst first!   8)

But we are talking about SYMPHONIES now!

Since the forum loves lists and rankings, how about your opinions on the Worst First Symphony by a composer?

Dvorak's Bells of Zlonice?  (Anybody?  Anybody?)

Khachaturian?  (Can you even find a recording of it?)

Copland?   :o

How many people have I just outraged with these suggestions?   0:)

I really like the Khachaturian and Copland's Organ Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Biffo on March 29, 2018, 06:39:19 AM
I don't think Dvorak's first qualifies as the worst ever first, just as Dvorak's weakest.

Exactly.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on March 29, 2018, 07:46:39 AM
Have ELEVEN years gone by, since I posed this question?!

Some early answers:

Quote from: karlhenning on December 11, 2007, 11:30:57 AM
Elgar

Oh, I must have been . . . reacting to certain circs  8)

No, I do not at all believe that the Elgar qualifies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF

I'm not voting for Prokofiev's first, however, to my (relatively uneducated) ear it has often sounded something of a catch-all; less of a nod and perhaps more of an appeasement of what came before. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed fine, lively performances (especially in a concert setting) where it has almost served as an aperitif for what follows on the programme.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Baron Scarpia

Prokofiev's first may be a trifle, but it is not bad by any means. That's what he meant.

I saw Brahms 1st mentioned. That seems too silly to reply to. Clearly just a provocation. I also saw Schumann 1. Except, IIRC, Schumann 4 was written before Schumann 1. I like both a lot.

Shostakovich 1st. I'm sure it's bad, I've never heard it. I've never gotten it on an individual disc and the notes of every Shostakovich cycle I have warn me off it. Must be really bad. :)

If we ever nominate a thread for worst last symphony, I nominate Nielsen.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 29, 2018, 09:57:43 AMI also saw Schumann 1. Except, IIRC, Schumann 4 was written before Schumann 1. I like both a lot.

The original version of Schumann's Fourth was written after the First but before the Second or Third.  There was an abandoned G minor symphony, though, that predates any of the others and isn't nearly as distinctive.  He only completed two movements of it.

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 29, 2018, 09:57:43 AMShostakovich 1st. I'm sure it's bad, I've never heard it. I've never gotten it on an individual disc and the notes of every Shostakovich cycle I have warn me off it. Must be really bad. :)

I think the first two movements of the symphony are actually quite fine, especially for a student work, but the latter two are weaker.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

DaveF

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 29, 2018, 09:57:43 AM
If we ever nominate a thread for worst last symphony, I nominate Nielsen.

Go on, start one - that opinion will provoke lots of interesting discussion!

For a rather poor "first", Tippett's symphony "no.0" in B flat, which was broadcast on the BBC recently and is I believe going to be included in Brabbins' ongoing cycle, sounded very tentative, unmemorable and confused, as well as being totally un-Tippettlike,
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison