The Worst First!

Started by Cato, December 11, 2007, 11:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: André on October 25, 2017, 12:34:58 PM

There's no doubt in my mind that Dvorak's 1st is pure, unadulterated dreck. It has its defenders of course. They're the same that send pics of their pet to the Ugliest Dog contests  :P.

Quote from: Biffo on March 29, 2018, 06:39:19 AM
I don't think Dvorak's first qualifies as the worst ever first, just as Dvorak's weakest. I know from previous discussions elsewhere that many people like it but I don't. Playing the long exposition repeat in the 1st movement - necessary for some, it seems  - only makes it worse.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 29, 2018, 08:52:34 AM
Exactly.

This morning I started to revisit the Dvorak Symphony #1 (i.e. I heard most of the first movement before needing to break off).  I had not heard it for many years until today: for some reason I was filled with a desire last week to revisit all the symphonies (I have the recommended-by-Sarge    8)   set by Witold Rowicki ).

I was struck by a resemblance now and then to the works of Jan Kalliwoda, which is understandable.  However, I have no idea whether Dvorak knew much or any of his predecessor's music.

Anyway, my previously low opinion of the work began to change: we shall see!  0:)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

For the record, I've never sent a picture of a pet anywhere.  Retract that calumny, André8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 27, 2018, 06:42:44 AM
For the record, I've never sent a picture of a pet anywhere.  Retract that calumny, André8)

I'm sure you have pet peeves, Karl. Esp. the orange mutt kind :laugh:

prémont

The worst first?

Wouldn't that be Trump first?

I think I have heard this before.

Excuse for being off topic.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on December 11, 2007, 11:29:07 AM
Yes, in Germany you always eat the Wurst first!   8)

But we are talking about SYMPHONIES now!

Since the forum loves lists and rankings, how about your opinions on the Worst First Symphony by a composer?

Dvorak's Bells of Zlonice?  (Anybody?  Anybody?)

Khachaturian?  (Can you even find a recording of it?)

Copland?   :o

How many people have I just outraged with these suggestions?   0:)

Responding only eleven years late. I think that Khachaturian's First Symphony is excellent but you need to hear Tjeknavorian's LSO performance to hear it at its best.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on July 31, 2018, 04:20:21 AM
Responding only eleven years late.

;)

QuoteI think that Khachaturian's First Symphony is excellent but you need to hear Tjeknavorian's LSO performance to hear it at its best.

Okay, I have found that performance via my classical music on-line service (called, oddly enough, Classical Music On-Line,  ;)   a Russian company), so I will give it a try!   0:)

Karl Henning

Well, you knew there had to be a Melodiya recording of the Khachaturian First!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Capeditiea

my first selection would be biased.
but Saint Saens First. ...well i dislike his symphonies in general and haven't come to terms with listening to his chamber works... it's just that i get far too frustrated trying to figure out who i am listening to.

but all in all subjectively i would say Sibelius' it really kinda was a let down.

That or Walton's (which is in my favourite key.)

For a while i would have said Brianps Gothic, but i revisited it and was amazed, (my answers subjectively will change, but it will always be Saint Saens for me.)

*insert rant about Saint Saens here, followed by a few dozen headbangs into the wall from presto rall. larghissimo shortly after a fermented pause falling over.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Capeditiea on September 02, 2018, 06:08:32 AM
my first selection would be biased.
but Saint Saens First. ...

I wasn't even aware that Saint Saens composed a first symphony.

Capeditiea

he composed a few. let me check the number he had, *checks, he had three.  as well as a few non numbered symphonies

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Capeditiea on September 02, 2018, 06:58:22 AM
he composed a few. let me check the number he had, *checks, he had three.  as well as a few non numbered symphonies

I know, I was being poorly sarcastic  8) 
I do like the Organ Symphony a little, but honestly can't remember last time I listened to it, or wanted to. Other than that the only time I listen to Saint Saens is when Aquarium from Carnival is being used in a movie or commercial. So not by choice.

Capeditiea

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 02, 2018, 07:03:24 AM
I know, I was being poorly sarcastic  8) 
I do like the Organ Symphony a little, but honestly can't remember last time I listened to it, or wanted to. Other than that the only time I listen to Saint Saens is when Aquarium from Carnival is being used in a movie or commercial. So not by choice.

*nods, i think his second was the first symphony i ended up turning off and switching to Joe Hisaishi's Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite to recover from the madness. :O (that piece was my personal health potion if i hear horrid music. but now it is Marin Marais' Gall Bladder Operation. :D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Capeditiea on September 02, 2018, 07:11:52 AM

*nods, i think his second was the first symphony i ended up turning off and switching to Joe Hisaishi's Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite to recover from the madness. :O (that piece was my personal health potion if i hear horrid music. but now it is Marin Marais' Gall Bladder Operation. :D

You had me at Joe Hisaishi.

Capeditiea

:D yay :D i have found someone with similar music tastes. *nods.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 02, 2018, 07:03:24 AM
I do like the Organ Symphony a little, but honestly can't remember last time I listened to it, or wanted to.

Curiously, we have heard the piece twice live in Symphony Hall.  We like it, but . . . it would be a funny world, if we all thought the same  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Capeditiea

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 02, 2018, 09:17:17 AM
Curiously, we have heard the piece twice live in Symphony Hall.  We like it, but . . . it would be a funny world, if we all thought the same  8)

i agree with you there. :3 but it would be a scary world. :O

vandermolen

Is Bruckner's First Symphony any good?
Never heard it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mahlerian

Quote from: vandermolen on September 02, 2018, 01:24:18 PM
Never heard it.

The first one he wrote (the F minor "Study Symphony") or the one he gave the number 1 to (the second one he wrote, in C minor)?

The F minor isn't all that distinctive, but the C minor does have some fine things in it.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on September 02, 2018, 01:24:18 PM
Never heard it.

Of course it is good!!! It's Bruckner!  8)

Symphony "0" (Die Nullte) is also worth your time!  Mahlerian is correct!

vandermolen

Thanks Mahlerian and Cato. I'd forgotten about Symphony No.0.