The Worst First!

Started by Cato, December 11, 2007, 11:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m_gigena

Quote from: 71 dB on December 12, 2007, 04:10:30 AM
I don't want to be hostile. I want to be friendly and I want other people be friendly too

Quote from: 71Who are you to say what I know? Elgar is my favorite composer! It means I have spend a lot of time and effort to understand him and his music. Just because I don't repeat the general mantras of music does not mean I don't understand or know anything.

Then, would you answer my previous question?

Quote from: ManuelWhy?

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on December 12, 2007, 05:07:05 AM
I'll happily take your word there;  that's not one I'm beating any path to listen to . . . .

Has anyone heard Rimsky-Korsakov's First?

Yes, and it is actually better than his Third Symphony!

The Second ("Antar") is the best of the three.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on December 12, 2007, 06:36:55 AM
Yes, and it is actually better than his Third Symphony!

The Second ("Antar") is the best of the three.

I don't remember having heard the Third; Antar is good!

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on December 12, 2007, 06:40:06 AM
I don't remember having heard the Third; Antar is good!

I have the complete symphonies with Neeme Jarvi conducting on DGG, and was excited about hearing the Third Symphony when I ordered the set, since I had never heard it, and then was very disappointed that it was not even close to "Antar"!

The First is okay: as I recall it is the product of his late teens/early 20's, and Balakirev helped him with revising it.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on December 12, 2007, 06:59:24 AM
I have the complete symphonies with Neeme Jarvi conducting on DGG, and was excited about hearing the Third Symphony when I ordered the set, since I had never heard it, and then was very disappointed that it was not even close to "Antar"!

Ah, but wait!  Perhaps the fault is not Nikolai Andreyevich's, but Järvi's!

71 dB

Quote from: Manuel on December 12, 2007, 06:35:15 AM
Then, would you answer my previous question?

Sorry, can you explain what exactly you want to know.  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

m_gigena

Quote from: 71 dB on December 12, 2007, 07:30:57 AM
Sorry, can you explain what exactly you want to know.  ???

You are excused.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 11, 2007, 05:34:09 PM
Elgar's first symphony is perhaps the most matured and sophisticated first symphony ever.

karlhenning

Sharp uptick in shovel futures.

71 dB

Quote from: Manuel on December 12, 2007, 07:46:12 AM
You are excused.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 11, 2007, 05:34:09 PM
Elgar's first symphony is perhaps the most matured and sophisticated first symphony ever.

Because Elgar was so talented! He created his own style combining the best part of masters before him. This style is sophisticated, multidimensional and brilliantly orchestrated. Richter introduced the music by saying to the orchestra: "Gentlemen, let us now rehearse the greatest symphony of modern times, written by the greatest modern composer - and not only this country."
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on December 12, 2007, 07:56:25 AM
Because Elgar was so talented!

Bzzzzt! Thank you for playing!

Many of the composers of first symhonies were also, so talented!

karlhenning

Quote from: boilerplate
He created his own style combining the best part of masters before him. This style is sophisticated, multidimensional and brilliantly orchestrated.

BachQ

Because Elgar's ... style is sophisticated, multidimensional

I'm disappointed ......... You forgot to mention vibrational fields ..........

(NOTE TO ROB: Is there a way to make letters vibrate?)

m_gigena

Because Elgar was so talented! He created his own style combining the best part of masters before him. This style is sophisticated, multidimensional and brilliantly orchestrated. Richter introduced the music by saying to the orchestra: "Gentlemen, let us now rehearse the greatest symphony of modern times, written by the greatest modern composer - and not only this country."

Convincing enough. I'm wearing my Elgar cap now.

BachQ

Mark G. Simon

This constant schoolyard-style bullying of 71dB is exceedingly childish and mean-sprited. I would have thought you'd outgrown this behavior when you turned 15. But no, now that you don't have Pinkharp to kick around you've got to find someone else.

Children!

71 dB: If you really want to increase appreciation for Elgar's music, you would do best to stop talking about it. I think Elgar will do quite well on his own merits.

Bonehelm

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on December 12, 2007, 11:05:29 AM
This constant schoolyard-style bullying of 71dB is exceedingly childish and mean-sprited. I would have thought you'd outgrown this behavior when you turned 15. But no, now that you don't have Pinkharp to kick around you've got to find someone else.

Children!

71 dB: If you really want to increase appreciation for Elgar's music, you would do best to stop talking about it. I think Elgar will do quite well on his own merits.

Have you got an idea when he started all this vibrational madness? It was all the way from the old forum. Read every single post he made in the past, and tell us WHO is the more childish one. It's not only 1 or 2 members that are "making fun" of him. It's almost EVERYONE who has a brain...that CLEARLY shows that the problem is not on our side, but on HIS side.

MN Dave

PSmith08

I'll bite. Fair enough, but the same thing could be said of Gustav Mahler's 1st or Anton Webern's Symphony, op. 20 (which I'll count as his first). I had problems with "sophistication" as a justification for anything when Eric was still around, and my issues have not diminished. I'll ignore that, then. There are plenty of multidimensional (whatever that means, again) and brilliantly orchestrated works that aren't all that great. I, for example, cannot stand Richard Strauss' Alpensinfonie. Indeed, it is the only CD that I have ever given away out of disgust. It seems to me that you're defending Elgar's first on shaky grounds.

Before you start, though: I'm not suggesting that your apparent non-conformity with the musical establishment (though I wasn't aware that Elgar was an outsider artist) is a problem. I just want some better justification.

karlhenning

Well, I don't think that the Skryabin First could be the 'worst first,' because Skryabin was so talented! He created his own style combining the best part of masters before him. This style is sophisticated, multidimensional and brilliantly orchestrated.