The Worst First!

Started by Cato, December 11, 2007, 11:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2021, 05:33:17 AM
Interesting. Previn so often did so well.  Well, we all take the odd misstep.

It is always funny how sometimes a performer can do something exceptionally well and so you turn to something similar and then it is just mediocre.  As if they had an intense amount of passion and commitment for this one singular work and the other ones were by the numbers.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2021, 07:50:04 PM
Unpopular opinion time: I'm definitely not fond of Rachmaninov's 1st. In fact, I don't think it should've been rescued at all. >:D May the firing squads commence. ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 14, 2021, 06:42:00 AM

I was going to get out my bazooka but you beat me to it  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 06:53:30 AM
I was going to get out my bazooka but you beat me to it  ;D

Sarge

I was looking for the same one you use Sarge, but I did not want to infringe on any patent rights.  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on April 14, 2021, 12:39:13 AM
I was with you until recently, having heard only Previn/LSO which is an unqualfiied dud. Then I heard Nezet-Seguin/The Philadelphians and changed my mind.

Honestly, I never heard one performance that has convinced me of it's alleged greatness and I don't think I could stomach listening to it again no matter how well Nezet-Seguin conducts it. Sorry, dear Rachmaninov fans!

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on April 14, 2021, 05:39:10 AM
It is always funny how sometimes a performer can do something exceptionally well and so you turn to something similar and then it is just mediocre.  As if they had an intense amount of passion and commitment for this one singular work and the other ones were by the numbers.
Yeah! That always surprises me. It's especially true in the cases of composers with rather limited outputs - like a conductor who is really good in Elgar 1 but really bad in Elgar 2, or a Brahms cycle where one of the four is inexplicably way worse. It makes more sense in a case like Mahler or Shostakovich that maybe you don't love all 10-15 symphonies equally, but if you only love Rach 2 and 3, nobody is forcing you to do 1!

Mirror Image

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 14, 2021, 07:05:51 AM
Honestly, I never heard one performance that has convinced me of it's alleged greatness and I don't think I could stomach listening to it again no matter how well Nezet-Seguin conducts it. Sorry, dear Rachmaninov fans!

We can still be friends.  :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 10, 2021, 03:21:47 AM
I really like Taneyev's first.  :-[ :-X

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 10, 2021, 07:23:41 AM
I should give it a listen.

Back in 2007 someone recommended this Symphony and included a link to the JPC website...which led me to pull a paulb. I sampled the first 30 seconds and concluded it was repetitious crap ;D  So, yeah, I too should give it a proper listen.

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Symphonic Addict

I've come to think of Alfvén's as the least interesting first symphony, it pales in comparison with both his next attempts in the form and the ones of many of his compatriots.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

I'm sure that I replied before but I really like Khachaturian's First Symphony (especially the RCA LSO recording with Tjeknavorian).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2023, 09:38:57 PMI'm sure that I replied before but I really like Khachaturian's First Symphony (especially the RCA LSO recording with Tjeknavorian).

Count me as another fan of this exuberant symphony (I don't know that performance, nonetheless).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 28, 2023, 04:29:42 PMCount me as another fan of this exuberant symphony (I don't know that performance, nonetheless).
It's here Cesar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE6t0E5WCSw
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky