Charles Valentin Alkan

Started by alkan, May 16, 2007, 04:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Yes! This thread is loaded with good info!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

SonicMan46

REPOST from the listening thread - been previewing my Alkan collection - own just 8 CDs (6 are double-disc sets in the top row below) - this morning as stated I listen to the bottom two recordings off Spotify - Wee is outstanding, but Smith & Gibbons play the same Symphony/Concerto Etudes and the BIS price is not cheap - I rarely listen to Alkan and am curious if the 'fans' here might help in their comments about the older recordings w/ Smith and Gibbons?  Thanks.  Dave :)

QuoteAlkan, Charles-Valentin (1813-1888) - Top row of double-CD sets in my collection (own just 2 others w/ M-A Hamelin) - bottom two listened off Spotify this morning - Wee is astounding but the BIS disc is not cheap; love Martin in the Esquisses and ordered from Amazon - reviews attached of Wee & Martin, for those interested.  Dave :)

QuoteCharles-Valentin Alkan was a French Jewish composer and virtuoso pianist. At the height of his fame in the 1830s and 1840s he was, alongside his friends and colleagues Frédéric Chopin and Franz Liszt, among the leading pianists in Paris, a city in which he spent virtually his entire life. (Source)

Leo K.

I really love Alkan. Not only is his music technically astounding, but I find his musical ideas to be very fresh and exciting (and catchy gorgeous melodies). His piano writing is idiosyncratically unidiomatic which to my ear sounds mysterious and haunting - like some deep down places in Paris (now forgotten in time).

Leo K.

Wow, the Grand Sonata is incredible - what a great recording.

staxomega

Quote from: Leo K. on October 28, 2022, 11:02:19 AM
I really love Alkan. Not only is his music technically astounding, but I find his musical ideas to be very fresh and exciting (and catchy gorgeous melodies). His piano writing is idiosyncratically unidiomatic which to my ear sounds mysterious and haunting - like some deep down places in Paris (now forgotten in time).

What are your favorite Alkan albums? I have to admit I've never been that taken with him.

Leo K.

Quote from: hvbias on November 02, 2022, 04:59:29 AM
What are your favorite Alkan albums? I have to admit I've never been that taken with him.

Sorry for the delay! I have the Esquisses with Stephan Osbourne, and I love the releases played by Viner (sorry not able to post the photos today), thanks!