Rimsky-Korsakov recommendations?

Started by rw1883, December 11, 2007, 06:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: head-case on December 13, 2007, 11:10:16 AM
Buy this CD and  you'll never need another Rimsky-Korsakov recording.

How would you know whether the OP needs another RK recording? How many Scheherazades have you heard? Is this another one of your bone-headed nutjob recommendations?

head-case

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on December 13, 2007, 02:32:28 PM
How would you know whether the OP needs another RK recording? How many Scheherazades have you heard? Is this another one of your bone-headed nutjob recommendations?
I happen to know these are the finest R-K available, and that R-K didn't manage to compose enough decent orchestral music to spill over on to a third CD.  0:)

hautbois

Quote from: head-case on December 13, 2007, 03:24:28 PM
I happen to know these are the finest R-K available, and that R-K didn't manage to compose enough decent orchestral music to spill over on to a third CD.  0:)

That's crap!

A truly exuberant Tsar Bride overture (Gergiev is not even CLOSE with his lack of detail and precision with Kirov, sad to say), a Snow Maiden with extreme beauty (with modern sound and precision that embarrasses Ansermet and his gang), a Scheherazade that is interpretatively and technically comparable to any big name in the catalogue etc, the MPO/Kees Bakels on BIS is the way to go. Of course there are better recordings of each individual one, for example, Kodrashin's RCO Scheherazade has a more organic sense in tempi choices while Bakels is more Reiner like, slightly forward, which i don't like. But for the sound and the price, you can't go wrong. And what a hall too!

Howard

XB-70 Valkyrie

He wrote some interesting songs as well. "A Flight of Passing Clouds" is an absolutely ravishing, haunting piece. I have this sung by Jennie Tourel on an old Columbia LP, but I don't know whether it is available on CD.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

david johnson

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on December 13, 2007, 02:32:28 PM

the ansermet is a great collection and worth having for r-k fans.

dj

MichaelRabin

The most stunning Capriccio espagnole for me is the BPO/Maazel on DG Originals that even tops Argenta & Dorati!

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: david johnson on December 16, 2007, 02:52:11 AM
the ansermet is a great collection and worth having for r-k fans.

dj
That I agree with completely.

Harry

Quote from: hautbois on December 15, 2007, 06:44:55 PM
That's crap!

A truly exuberant Tsar Bride overture (Gergiev is not even CLOSE with his lack of detail and precision with Kirov, sad to say), a Snow Maiden with extreme beauty (with modern sound and precision that embarrasses Ansermet and his gang), a Scheherazade that is interpretatively and technically comparable to any big name in the catalogue etc, the MPO/Kees Bakels on BIS is the way to go. Of course there are better recordings of each individual one, for example, Kodrashin's RCO Scheherazade has a more organic sense in tempi choices while Bakels is more Reiner like, slightly forward, which i don't like. But for the sound and the price, you can't go wrong. And what a hall too!

Howard

Could not agree more Howard....as I said earlier in this thread the same. :)

vandermolen

Apart from the obvious, I would recommend The Invisible City of Kitezh and the charming Christmas Eve with its lovely ballet of the stars.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sarastro

Quote from: techniquest on December 11, 2007, 10:47:04 PM
As well as the obvious, I would suggest getting the suite from Le Coq d'Or.

Why only the suite? The opera itself is quite fun. As far as I know, it was supposed to ridicule and expose the Russian tsarist regime of the time. The libretto is sometimes hilarious. And beside that, the opera is very coherent with great music. The first part takes place at King Dodon's palace, but then they meet Queen of Shemakha, and from that time on there is a lot of music resembling the Sheherazade suite in style. Beside ethereal Queen of Shemakha arias, there are several orchestral pieces, such as the dance at the Queen's pavilion and the wedding procession, with the Arabian and the Dodon's motives blending. The Astrologer's music is somewhat "Chinese", and the tenor has to have the high E-flat, so some of them transpose the role.
Anyway, I am just totally exalted with the opera and think that it would be interesting to those who enjoy the Sheherazade suite.

Xenophanes

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on December 16, 2007, 04:24:15 AM
That I agree with completely.

Yes, the Ansermet R-K collection is great.  My favorite Scheherazade along with a very fine Tsar Saltan Suite, Russian Eastern Festival Overture, May Night, and Christmas Eve.

Coopmv

I like this 2-CD set and have the set ...

vandermolen

This is my favourite RK CD set too:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

eyeresist

See also http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,9104.0.html

I've picked up sets of the Rimsky symphonies by Jarvi, Svetlanov and Kitajenko, and also have the Ansermet 2-disc set on Australian Decca Eloquence (including Antar).

The 1st and 3rd symphonies I think confuse interpreters because they cannot be included with Rimsky's "exotica". They are in fact much more classical in style. I love the 1st under Kitajenko - he makes it sound like early Schubert, which I think is how it should sound. Svetlanov heavily Russo-fies it, which is interesting especially if you enjoy that flavour, but the andante is deformed into a Slavic funeral - not at all what Rimsky intended. Jarvi by contrast is swifter but entirely arbitrary compared to Kitajenko. Kitajenko's pretty good in the 3rd too, but unfortunately is just too slow in the scherzo. Apparently Rohzdestvensty is great in the 3rd, but that recording is totally OOP.

Jarvi, Svet, Kitajenko and Ansermet are all decent in Antar, but none really reaches the top level, as far as I'm concerned. The last movement in particular, and the end of the last movement in especial particular, really need to be weightier and more impressive IMO. What other good recordings are there of this from the last 30 years?

"Ansermet in Rimsky suites" may sound like a done deal - and the result is pleasant if immediately forgettable. However, if you get the Regis disc of Svet in the Rimsky suites, you'll find something much more gripping and effective. I think assuming Ansermet is all you need in this area is a real mistake.

EDIT: One advantage of Ansermet is he includes the female choir in the Snow Maiden suite (they sound suspiciously like Rhine maidens).

I haven't encountered the operas yet, but from what I've heard about their exotic settings and crazy plots, they'd make fine DVD fodder.

Grazioso

I agree with the others who recommend the BIS set under Bakels: generally very fine performances, spectacular sound (befitting Rimsky's colorful orchestration), and a good bargain.

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Harry

Another good bargain is from Chandos, a very pleasant surprise when I've bought this from Amazon. Spectacular performances and sound, on the same level as Bakels, which is also in my possession.

Harry

Quote from: Coopmv on July 12, 2009, 04:46:18 PM
I like this 2-CD set and have the set ...

This set was a huge disappointment for me. Jarvi isn't really into the music of RK.

Daverz

Quote from: Harry on March 01, 2010, 02:29:52 AM
This set was a huge disappointment for me. Jarvi isn't really into the music of RK.

Järvi is a highly variable conductor (though I haven't heard this DG set).  His set of Rimsky-Korsakov suites on Chandos is fabulous.

[I see I've already recommended the Järvi/Chandos set in this thread...more than 2 years ago!]

alkan

I really enjoyed the quintet on this CD.     

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

cosmicj

I have the Gergiev Sadko CDs and have heard Gergiev do the Invisible City of Kitzeh (twice).  I highly recommend both pieces.  Kitezh, in particular, is a beautiful, visionary work.  The opera Sadko cannot be judged by the symphonic poem of the same name, which is uninspired in comparison.  I think the negative comments about R-K partly reflect an understable but wrongheaded focus on the incorrect part of his work. 

BTW, no mention of the Reiner Scheherazade on this thread?  This has always been the strongly recommended version of the work and has just been rereleased on SACD to enthusiasm.