Started by aquablob, April 06, 2007, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SurprisedByBeauty

Classical CD Of The Week: Johann Sebastian Clown

http://bit.ly/CDoftheWeek054

Johann Sebastian Clown: For all those unafraid of garish colors, subwoofer-busting bass, and liberal applications of tremulant and celeste, this is the ticket!

milk

Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr.: The Fight for Bach: Guest: Rosalyn Tureck
https://www.youtube.com/v/uyvuITxVgd4

SurprisedByBeauty

Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier: Forget-Me-Nots And Intimations Of Mortality (Classical CD Of The Week)

And Eff the "(C?)Avi" label for not being able to make its mind up about how they should be called or spelled. What a nuisance and what a moronic strategy to be ambiguous about one's name.

Mandryka

I thought Dantone's was a characterful interpretation of Book 2, more so than Rousset's in fact. I don't mean this as a value judgement at all. What are the contradictions that Zhu Xiao Mei's meddles? 

How did you chose those recordings to review?

Your website keeps crashing on my iPad, other websites don't.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mandryka on October 11, 2017, 08:49:12 PM

Your website keeps crashing on my iPad, other websites don't.

That's a pity; not my website, of course, but it would probably be much appreciated if you made Forbes aware of that problem at feedback@forbes.com. Sounds annoying.

I thought Dantone's was a characterful interpretation of Book 2, more so than Rousset's in fact.

I've not listened to Dantone a whole lot; enough to like it a lot, though. [Thanks, Qobuz!] Less forced and with a bit more air than Rousset, probably... whose WTC is very peated, if you will.

What are the contradictions that Zhu Xiao Mei's melds? 

Math and Joy. Seriousness and ecstasy. Day and Night. Her's an interpretation that either seems to defy simple tagging or allows to concurrently associate either end of the emotional spectrum. It's not scientific, I'm afraid. But it's my instinctive reaction to it.

How did you choose those recordings to review?

I pulled them off my shelf, basically... The two on the piano are recent recordings; one I had reviewed for a German magazine... they seemed to offer a nice contrast. And I wanted to write about Rousset, so I wedged him into this. Also to make sure that there's no danger of associating these works with the piano, too much.  :-\

SurprisedByBeauty

SurprisedByBeauty

On Bach's 333rd Birthday:

Classical CD Of The Week: Anton Batagov's Bach Is For Tripping

Every click helps keeping classical music coverage (of which I am sadly the only exponent) alive on Forbes.com. Which, even if you don't like it much or think me an ass, is better than it not being there, right?

Karl Henning

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 21, 2018, 11:24:34 AM

Every click helps keeping classical music coverage (of which I am sadly the only exponent) alive on Forbes.com. Which, even if you don't like it much or think me an ass, is better than it not being there, right?

Zowie.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sammy

Although extremely slow, I've been enjoying Batagov's take on the Partitas.  It's not a version to hear when you feel full of energy.

Mahlerian

Doesn't sound like my kind of Bach, but at least there are people to enjoy it.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Baron Scarpia

Have started going through the Angela Hewitt recordings again and enjoyed her recording of the Partita number 1. I like that she generally plays the repeats of the tertiary movements differently, and I find she hits the sweet spot of using the dynamic capabilities of the piano to elucidate the music, without becoming too "romantic."

San Antone

Quote from: Sammy on March 21, 2018, 01:21:59 PM
Although extremely slow, I've been enjoying Batagov's take on the Partitas.  It's not a version to hear when you feel full of energy.

Me too; I liked what I've heard so far.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 21, 2018, 01:27:17 PM

In a way it's beyond Bach. It's an experience; an immersion.

NikF

I heard Bach (Book I): Nos. 1-12 for the first time tonight. Quite an experience. Despite most of it being over my head it's still clear how monumental it is. And although a clichéd way to describe it, there were moments that sounded like the construction of a bridge that supports itself, bearing it's own weight, then slowly disassembling, only to take another approach. There are another four concerts in the series which I've already tickets for. Good stuff.
http://events.glasgowlife.org.uk/event/1/gusztv-feny-plays-the-complete-preludes-fugues-of-bach-and-shostakovich-15
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

San Antone

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 21, 2018, 02:28:42 PM
In a way it's beyond Bach. It's an experience; an immersion.

For some time now, Batagov has been primarily an experimental composer and no doubt going "beyond Bach" is part and parcel of why he performed/recorded this music.

aukhawk

The number 333 is known in some circles as 'triple nelson' and is considered (like any other multiple of 111) to be unlucky.  The bad luck may be averted by standing on one leg.
I only mention this because some aspects of Bach's music are thought by some to have numerological significance.  :-X

QuoteSouth Africa needed 111 runs to win at exactly 11:11 on the 11th day of the 11th month in 2011. The scoreboard read 11:11 11/11/11. Cricket South Africa asked all the fans in the crowd to stand on one leg for the duration of that minute and with the healthy Newlands crowd hopping about, umpire Ian Gould got into the spirit too.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-australia-2011/content/story/540090.html

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 21, 2018, 01:27:17 PM

It must be "out there" . . . I am curious, but my curiosity does not burn  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aukhawk

Quote from: Sammy on March 21, 2018, 01:21:59 PM
Quote from: Marcabru on March 21, 2018, 02:23:36 PM
Me too; I liked what I've heard so far.

Get back to us in a week's time, when the music's finished  :laugh: