Bach's Bungalow

Started by aquablob, April 06, 2007, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 22, 2018, 02:42:25 AM
It must be "out there" . . . I am curious, but my curiosity does not burn  0:)
I think his Byrd is much better. I couldn't stomach the Bach.

Mandryka

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 21, 2018, 01:42:30 PM
Have started going through the Angela Hewitt recordings again and enjoyed her recording of the Partita number 1. I like that she generally plays the repeats of the tertiary movements differently, and I find she hits the sweet spot of using the dynamic capabilities of the piano to elucidate the music, without becoming too "romantic."

Yes she has lots of ideas about dynamics, I'm guessing they're her ideas rather than taken from someone else's edition. Another thing that impressed me was how distinctively light her touch is. I think that the conception is very poised and classical, an interesting contrast with the more empfindsamer stil approach of Wolfgang Rübsam.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on April 28, 2018, 04:36:47 AM

#morninglistening to #Bach's #StJohnPassion w/ #MarcMinkowski & @mdlgrenoble on @warnerclassics

: http://a-fwd.to/Tp2gPAY

(cheating on @naiveclassique w/ @eratofrance ???)

Anyone get the feeling that this release was never properly marketed... that it kindof snuck up on us? It should have been a big deal... but wasn't. And it's odd that Erato licensed this, and not Naive... even though Minkowski has not become a Warner artist.

Moonfish

I know it's a bit silly, but this clip always makes me smile in celebration of the sheer joy of music-making.

https://www.youtube.com/v/9ep9wONkU2c
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SurprisedByBeauty

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

premont

But who are the performers? That's the decisive  point.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 27, 2018, 02:24:10 PM
But who are the performers? That's the decisive  point.

May I direct your eyes to the right of these columns? (Don't know your computer set-up; it may involve scrolling.)

Very interesting mix, esp. in the cantatas.

aukhawk

CD 181/182 catches my eye.

premont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 27, 2018, 11:59:35 PM
May I direct your eyes to the right of these columns? (Don't know your computer set-up; it may involve scrolling.)

Thanls, yes it did involve scrolling.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 30, 2018, 03:19:59 AM

Thanls, yes it did involve scrolling.  :)

I see, that I already own about 90 % of the recordings. And most of the rest don't interest me.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

JBS

Alain I
Release date listed as 24 August

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Wakefield

Quote from: JBS on August 22, 2018, 04:03:47 PM
Alain I
Release date listed as 24 August

Thanks for this alert! I see it just today the day of the release.  :)

Now I'm listening to the organ trio sonatas on Tidal (FLAC, master quality 24/96 kHz Stereo). So far, wonderful sound quality and interpretation.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

milk

Not ashamed to admit I quite like this, piano and all. 

SurprisedByBeauty

SurprisedByBeauty

Moonfish

Regarding the upcoming Bach 333 release.   I came across a news item that indicates that there will be two language versions: English and German. Has anybody else heard anything that contradicts this information? I'm surprised that there isn't a French or Spanish version. Really?

"Bach 333 is released worldwide on October 26th in two language versions – English and German".

from https://www.bach333.com/en

So - obviously Bach 333 sold in the US and UK would be in English and the ones sold in Germany in German. I wonder which language version that is marketed in France?  Hmmmmm

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/deutsche-grammophon-decca-bach-333/

Anna Lappé

milk

How do people feel about the Rubsam violin and cello transcriptions for lautenwerk?

aukhawk

I don't much like the cello suites transcriptions - the polyphonic nature of the keyboard seems to work against the "single string polyphony" that is the essence of the Cello suites - everything sounds too obvious, too simple, no challenging blanks left for the brain to fill in. 
The violin transcriptions seem much more successful to me because those works are by no means single-string.  In fact the way he plays them turns the music on its head - arpeggiated effects on the keyboard replacing plain double-stopping on the violin.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: milk on October 29, 2018, 05:56:49 AM
How do people feel about the Rubsam violin and cello transcriptions for lautenwerk?

I love Rubsam and his lautenwerk recordings, but the Cello Suites are too perfect to allow any transcription to invade my ears.