Bach's Bungalow

Started by aquablob, April 06, 2007, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Yes I know what aukhawk is getting at in the cello suites. You'll get a good feel for the problem if you listen to the prelude of the 6th, it's as if there's not enough for his left hand to do.

Nevertheless what he's done is charming enough I think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on October 29, 2018, 09:15:04 AM
Yes I know what aukhawk is getting at in the cello suites. You'll get a good feel for the problem if you listen to the prelude of the 6th, it's as if there's not enough for his left hand to do.

Nevertheless what he's done is charming enough I think.
I can never get enough Bach but, as with the organ transcriptions for piano, it's sometimes a matter of "be careful what one wishes for."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 30, 2018, 01:36:12 AM
Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/v/eDFFUIGoBUc
It's not bad at all. I don't know if you know American TV but, mark my words, this music will show up in some future episode of Fargo.

Karl Henning

It is very good, indeed.

I do not know American TV (by choice) . . . and it may be overly fastidious of me, but my enjoyment of the movies Twelve Monkeys and Fargo leaves me rather incurious about TV series spin-offs . . . .

Parenthetically:  Much of what I enjoy about M*A*S*H (the movie) is the tone.  I understand that the TV series is widely loved, but personally, M*A*S*H with a laugh track feels all wrong, to this viewer.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 30, 2018, 03:30:45 AM
It is very good, indeed.

I do not know American TV (by choice) . . . and it may be overly fastidious of me, but my enjoyment of the movies Twelve Monkeys and Fargo leaves me rather incurious about TV series spin-offs . . . .

Parenthetically:  Much of what I enjoy about M*A*S*H (the movie) is the tone.  I understand that the TV series is widely loved, but personally, M*A*S*H with a laugh track feels all wrong, to this viewer.
Fargo is clever. It's not really a spin-off per se. It's hard to explain but the runner is an excellent writer and he makes a kind of genre out of Fargo with no characters from the films. This music is the kind of thing that pops up on the series' soundtrack. It should at least.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SurprisedByBeauty

SurprisedByBeauty

SurprisedByBeauty

Don't know where else to post this, but it might be of interest to several Bach-nutty GMGers:

The best thing in published scores in my lifetime, the new 23 vol #CarusVerlag ed. of the complete sacred vocal works, is on sale for only a little longer:

https://www.carus-verlag.com/en/composers/bach/cantatas/all-bach-cantatas/johann-sebastian-bach-the-sacred-vocal-music.html?&force_sid=97a962444334c920bdcdf34a121e80c8 ...

(By the time I will have written about it, the steep discount is going to be history, alas.)

One of my more cherished memories is having gone over parts of it (the Matthew Passion, primarily) with the much-missed, late Enoch zu Guttenberg, comparing it to his 50-year old score (with all its countless markings and scribblings).

SurprisedByBeauty

Latest interview on "Church and Culture" is all about Bach!

https://t.co/m6jBvZSoD1

First half about transcriptions, second about the Matthew Passion -- all about why Bach is the Alpha and Omega... and tried to squeeze in a tribute to the beloved and much missed Enoch zu Guttenberg.

Apologies - to anyone who might actually listen - about the bad SQ. Don't know why that is myself... trying to make them work on it.

TheGSMoeller

SurprisedByBeauty

SurprisedByBeauty

Latest in the US Catholic Herald: Protestant Bach!

'Truly this was the Son of God'

(not my headline, but hey...)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on April 04, 2019, 11:26:03 AM
Latest in the US Catholic Herald: Protestant Bach!

'Truly this was the Son of God'

(not my headline, but hey...)

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on April 04, 2019, 11:23:03 AM
GSMoeller: FYI here's the essay about it (though maybe not with much new material re: the performance) that I promised. Was published earlier today: https://catholicherald.co.uk/magazine/truly-this-was-the-son-of-god/

Thank you so much for sharing, Jens! It's truly a lovely essay.
I just received my new copy of this Passion the other day, and plan to start listening tonight. I've made some markings in the booklet to listen for sections you've focused on in both the linked article above, and from your Real Top 10 Bach Recordings, I'm not familiar enough with this piece to know when the "Barabas" cry is, where in this piece will I find this?
The CD booklet does mark each track with the corresponding score sections. And I currently have O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden, and Wahrlich, dieser ist Gottes Sohn gewesen marked, which are sections you have so eloquently written about with this performance.
Thanks again, Jens, I'm sure I'll write more later once I've begun my journey. 

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 04, 2019, 05:10:31 PM

Thank you so much for sharing, Jens! It's truly a lovely essay.
I just received my new copy of this Passion the other day, and plan to start listening tonight. I've made some markings in the booklet to listen for sections you've focused on in both the linked article above, and from your Real Top 10 Bach Recordings, I'm not familiar enough with this piece to know when the "Barabas" cry is, where in this piece will I find this?

At the end of 45(a).

Cheers & thanks for the kind words.

SurprisedByBeauty

aukhawk

Quote from: Jens review
On her terms, she succeeds terrifically. But something is missing. I have a feeling it is the effort, actually.

Without having listened to it (yet) - that is exactly what I would expect.

milk