Bach's Bungalow

Started by aquablob, April 06, 2007, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: Scarpia on February 07, 2011, 10:13:58 AM
The viola da gamba sonata is not typical called a trio sonata but has its essential form.

No indeed.  The viola da gamba sonatas were called 'sonate a cembalo e viola da gamba' in contemporary sources, and the trio sonata BWV 1039 is typically called a transcription of the gamba sonata BWV 1027.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Quote from: Opus106 on February 07, 2011, 10:16:46 AM
I don't know. However, BWV 1025, scored for violin and harpsichord, is called Trio in A major. (I'm quoting from Christoph Wolff's Johann Sebastian Bach: The Learned Musician, p. 357.)

http://www.bach-digital.de/receive/BachDigitalSource_source_00001140

It's Bach's transcription of a solo 'sonata' (suite) by Weiss.  "Trio..." in another person's hand.  Oh well.  My curiosity is satisfied.  ;)  Thank you both.

http://www.youtube.com/v/7AaeJOvf7vI

http://www.youtube.com/v/YxWvJ5obJSs

http://www.youtube.com/v/5yGSyIYmfY8

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: masolino on February 07, 2011, 10:10:31 AM
Did Bach call them 'trio' sonatas himself?

Well, not exactly "trio sonatas", but apparently the name "harpsichord trios" was used in the Bach circle:

QuoteWriting in the 1770s, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach still admired these pieces: 'The six harpsichord trios are amongst the finest works of my dearly beloved father. They still sound excellent and give me great pleasure, although they are over 50 years old. There are several Adagios in them which even nowadays could not be set in a more singing style.'

IIRC the quote is from a letter to Forkel.

jlaurson

Immortal Bach
(via Schickele)

Standing erect, he was two feet wide.

http://www.youtube.com/v/vtW7cu56MRs

Antoine Marchand

Two new versions of the Johannes-Passion are announced for the next weeks:

J.S. Bach - St John Passion, BWV245
Mark Padmore (Evangelist), Hanno Müller-Brachmann (Jesus), Peter Harvey (Pilatus), Benarda Fink, Joanna Lunn & Katharine Fuge
The Monteverdi Choir & The English Baroque Soloists
Sir John Eliot Gardiner, direction
Rec. in Königslutter in 2003
2-CD set, SDG

J.S. Bach - Johannes Passion BWV 245
Maria Keohane, soprano; Carlos Mena, countertenor; Hans Jörg Mammel, tenor; Valerio Contaldo, tenor; Matthias Vieweg, bass; Stephan
MacLeod, bass
Ricercar Consort
Philippe Pierlot
2-CD set, Mirare

:)

Opus106

There's also Brüggen's.

Markus Schäfer (Evangelist), Thomas Oliemans (Jesus), Carolyn Sampson (soprano), Michael Chance (alto), Marcel Beekman (tenor) & Peter Kooij (bass)
Cappella Amsterdam & Orchestra of the 18th Century, Frans Brüggen (direction)

Glossa
Regards,
Navneeth

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on February 23, 2011, 05:31:16 AM
There's also Brüggen's.

Markus Schäfer (Evangelist), Thomas Oliemans (Jesus), Carolyn Sampson (soprano), Michael Chance (alto), Marcel Beekman (tenor) & Peter Kooij (bass)
Cappella Amsterdam & Orchestra of the 18th Century, Frans Brüggen (direction)

Glossa

Great! Recorded live, as usual with Brüggen. 

prémont

One has got to be a hard-boiled completist to think of acquiring three SJP´s in one breath  :o
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: James on February 26, 2011, 06:16:37 AM
[asin]B0000027TV[/asin]
Anner Bylsma has recorded the suites twice, both times on Baroque instruments with gut rather than metal strings, thus making for a warmer and more diffuse sound.

Anyway, the "Servais" cello doesn't have all-gut strings, but more exactly metal-overspun gut strings.

Marc

Quote from: aulos on February 23, 2011, 01:06:36 PM
One has got to be a hard-boiled completist to think of acquiring three SJP´s in one breath  :o

Go for it, then! :D

And don't forget a 'new' SMP by De Nederlandse Bachvereniging & Jos van Veldhoven, expected to be released on Bach's 326th birthday.

Hurrah! ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on February 26, 2011, 07:28:51 AM
Go for it, then! :D

And don't forget a 'new' SMP by De Nederlandse Bachvereniging & Jos van Veldhoven, expected to be released on Bach's 326th birthday.

Hurrah! ;D

Will it be released in SACD format?  I am still trying to nail down Veldhoven's last SMP, which has turned out to be much harder to find ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: aulos on February 23, 2011, 01:06:36 PM

Guilty.  :-[

I will probably purchase all those three versions in the future, but at the moment I desesperately need just one of them.  :)   

Marc

Quote from: Coopmv on February 26, 2011, 07:55:35 AM
Will it be released in SACD format?

Yep. Probably hybrid (I hope).

Opus106

Excellent. Thanks for the links, James.
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: James on March 05, 2011, 07:06:16 AM
To those who don't have the original classic recordings .. just spotted this new box that will have it all under one roof.

[asin]B004I4HCUA[/asin]

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/cat/single?PRODUCT_NR=4779510

The Brandenburg Concertos on this set can conceivably have better SQ than the first remastered BC set, as the original recording was analog and remastering technology has made tremendous strides since the early 1980's.

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on March 05, 2011, 01:40:10 PM
The Brandenburg Concertos on this set can conceivably have better SQ than the first remastered BC set, as the original recording was analog and remastering technology has made tremendous strides since the early 1980's.

If you mean the BC set by EC (English Concert) ;), no the original recording was not analogue, but rather early digital recording.

Coopmv

Quote from: FideLeo on March 06, 2011, 03:37:54 AM
If you mean the BC set by EC (English Concert) ;), no the original recording was not analogue, but rather early digital recording.

Are you sure?  I have this recording on LP (besides a twofer CD), which does not say digital.  During the period leading up to the ultimate near-demise of LP's when record companies released many recordings both on LP and CD, any recordings that were made digitally but released on LP would have "Digital Recording" prominently displayed on the LP jacket but I did not find such label ...

Bulldog

Quote from: FideLeo on March 06, 2011, 03:37:54 AM

Yes, it was digital all the way.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Scarpia

Working on my traversal of the complete works of Bach.  I'm up to BWV 3.   ;D  Seriously, that is a fine piece, particularly the duet for soprano and alto (I think, maybe two sopranos) with oboe d'amore.  Astonishing counterpoint among those two voices.   I'm listening to Rilling.  What is the finest recorded performance of that piece?