Bach's Bungalow

Started by aquablob, April 06, 2007, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Les Folies Francoises (Patrick Cohen-Akenine, violin & Beatrice Martin, harpsichord)
Label: Fontmorigny

I wonder if somebody knows these Bach's sonatas for violin & harpsichord.

Opus106

Where should one go for more music like the Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue?* I fell in love with the fantasia the first time I listened to it; and I'm sure the free and improvisatory nature has much to do with it. Apart from Bach's keyboard fantasias and toccatas (and perhaps Buxtehude's), which other composers' works of a similar nature would you recommend?

*A true Bachaholic, of course, knows that all the others are inferior. 0:) ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

..who starved to death between two piles of hay because he couldn't decide if he wanted to eat from the pile on the right or the pile on the left...

This arrived today

and now I'm faced with a serious "problem" (if only all our problems were no more serious than this one!)

Where should I begin listening?
start with CD1 and work through to the end, which means start with the cantatas and work through the other vocal works, then the organ works, and then the instrumental works?
start with the cantatas because they are the category of which I have the most unheard to date?
Or, since I'm not quite in the mood for cantatas at the moment,  start with the organ works, the second most underrepresented category in my collection?
Or start with the instrumental stuff because they're what I know best and then go back to the cantatas and organ works?
Or are there any individual performances I might want to listen to before anything else?

Bulldog

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 29, 2011, 02:00:00 PM
..who starved to death between two piles of hay because he couldn't decide if he wanted to eat from the pile on the right or the pile on the left...

This arrived today

and now I'm faced with a serious "problem" (if only all our problems were no more serious than this one!)

start with CD1 and work through to the end, which means start with the cantatas and work through the other vocal works, then the organ works, and then the instrumental works?
start with the cantatas because they are the category of which I have the most unheard to date?
Or, since I'm not quite in the mood for cantatas at the moment,  start with the organ works, the second most underrepresented category in my collection?
Or start with the instrumental stuff because they're what I know best and then go back to the cantatas and organ works?
Or are there any individual performances I might want to listen to before anything else?

Sell it as fast as you can - problem solved. 8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 29, 2011, 02:00:00 PM

This arrived today

Some recommendations to begin:  :)

Leon

I recently heard the recordings by Cafe Zimmermann of the orchestral works, Concerts avec plusieurs instruments and was impressed.

Anyone else know them?

:)

Marc

Quote from: Arnold on January 09, 2012, 04:55:24 AM
I recently heard the recordings by Cafe Zimmermann of the orchestral works, Concerts avec plusieurs instruments and was impressed.

Anyone else know them?

I do, for instance, and I think they're very good. And my guess is that I'm not the only one.

Here's a thread about Bach's orchestral works btw:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,981.0.html

Opus106

Well, the picture doesn't say much, but it's the complete Bach Edition from Warner/Teldec/Erato.

I just wish they would release the keyboard works -- those for harpsichord, specifically -- again, since it's much of that set which isn't easily available compared to the organ works, chamber/orchestal music, passions and canatatas.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Teldec/2564664202
Regards,
Navneeth

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on January 16, 2012, 01:02:52 AM

Well, the picture doesn't say much, but it's the complete Bach Edition from Warner/Teldec/Erato.

I just wish they would release the keyboard works -- those for harpsichord, specifically -- again, since it's much of that set which isn't easily available compared to the organ works, chamber/orchestal music, passions and canatatas.

Excellent news, Nav! Anyway I guess it will be available cheaper because Presto Classical is almost never the best option regarding big boxes.  :)

Que

Quote from: Opus106 on January 16, 2012, 01:02:52 AM

Looks decidely scary! :o Though if any company, Waner has the best back catalogue for such a project, but from the decription it seems they decided on "mixed" performers for groups of works - I'd hate that...

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 16, 2012, 04:43:42 AM
Looks decidely scary! :o Though if any company, Waner has the best back catalogue for such a project, but from the decription it seems they decided on "mixed" performers for groups of works - I'd hate that...

Q

I think it's simply a reissue of the Bach 2000 Edition.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 16, 2012, 04:49:51 AM
I think it's simply a reissue of the Bach 2000 Edition.
Would seem so. They each have the exact same number of discs.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Color coded by genre, eh? So I should guess the wheat color is the cantatas &c. YMMV, of course, but that's more Bach cantata than I require.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Here's news of a quasi-dramatised SMP. Has anyone watched it yet? Oh, and if you haven't, Peter Sellars was involved in it.

Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on June 04, 2012, 03:32:19 AM
. . . Peter Sellars was involved in it.

Faugh.

There: got it out of my system.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Leo K.

kishnevi

(Responding to a conversation in Haydn's Haus that can be traced back starting here:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,54.msg692832.html#msg692832)

Quote from: karlhenning on January 30, 2013, 09:07:00 AM
And how do we know that this is specifically what he meant by the solo harpsichord?

I've always thought that he specifically meant "My music and my harpsichord playing will equally knock your socks off!"*

There is an argument that Musical Offering has a sort of philosophical intention behind it, meaning a defense of "old school" against the up and coming galantaries of the mid 18th century, but even that had a specificallyl musical context to it.   Beyond that, I've never seen anything to indicate that his non-choral works had any meaning behind them in the way that Mandryka proposes.   He may have supported social equality but that does mean he was determined to illustrate it through his instrumental compositions.

The article Sanantonio provided is informative, though I'm not really convinced by it;  but it does seem to disagree with Mandryka's reading, which in itself is a strong data point for this discussion.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 30, 2013, 09:39:06 AM
The article Sanantonio provided is informative, though I'm not really convinced by it [....]

Most informative . . . at the outset, he owns that it is purely speculative, which does not diminish the interest (nor the epochal resonance).  Still, not firmly applicable to the piece.  And, as you say, the Baroque practice of allegorical reflection is entirely different to the Romantic Expression of the Individual.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 30, 2013, 09:39:06 AM
(Responding to a conversation in Haydn's Haus that can be traced back starting here:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,54.msg692832.html#msg692832)

I've always thought that he specifically meant "My music and my harpsichord playing will equally knock your socks off!"*

There is an argument that Musical Offering has a sort of philosophical intention behind it, meaning a defense of "old school" against the up and coming galantaries of the mid 18th century, but even that had a specificallyl musical context to it.   Beyond that, I've never seen anything to indicate that his non-choral works had any meaning behind them in the way that Mandryka proposes.   He may have supported social equality but that does mean he was determined to illustrate it through his instrumental compositions.

The article Sanantonio provided is informative, though I'm not really convinced by it;  but it does seem to disagree with Mandryka's reading, which in itself is a strong data point for this discussion.
Agreed, but what about the Ciaccona?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Opus106

Quote from: North Star on January 30, 2013, 10:11:33 AM
Agreed, but what about the Ciaccona?

What about it? The Romantics certainly saw something in it and went on a transcription spree, to the point of almost forgetting the rest of the partita, but do you think Bach really had a message attached to it?
Regards,
Navneeth