Bach's Bungalow

Started by aquablob, April 06, 2007, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: jlaurson on April 14, 2013, 07:56:28 AM
I think I have access to the whole thing via Qobuz, actually. Which is like a Spotify for classical, except the highest sound quality on Spotify is half the lowest on Qobuz, and they're properly indexed.

Then you're done because it's nearly a crime to listen to this music at poor bitrate. I think it won't be a waste of time for you.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

jlaurson

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 14, 2013, 08:05:39 AM
Then you're done set because it's nearly a crime to listen to this music at poor bitrate. I think it won't be a waste of time for you.  :)

Are you kidding? It needs much less encouragement to send me squirreling to listen to more Bach motets. Already put it on my playlist.

Mandryka

I just listened to Kooij/sette voce on quobuz's streaming. I thought that it's wonderful, thanks for posting.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Wakefield

Quote from: jlaurson on April 14, 2013, 07:56:28 AM
I think I have access to the whole thing via Qobuz, actually. Which is like a Spotify for classical, except the highest sound quality on Spotify is half the lowest on Qobuz, and they're properly indexed.

Thank you very much for this information, Jens.

I have visited this site and it looks great.

I'm enjoying the free 15-day trial, but I'm almost sure I will pay their monthly subscription (the basic service has a very good sound quality, indeed).  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Matthäus-Passion BWV 244
Conductor: Peter Dijkstra
Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Regensburger Domspatzen
Concerto Köln

http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Passion_St_Matthieu/

Soloists:
- Julian Prégardien (The Evangelist), tenor
- Maximilian Schmitt, tenor
- Karina Gauvin, soprano
- Gerhild Romberger, mezzo-soprano
- Michael Nagy (Arias/Pilatus), baryton :blank:
- Karl-Magnus Fredriksson (Jesus), baryton :blank:
-- Voltaire

Opus106

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 17, 2013, 08:13:16 AM
- Michael Nagy (Arias/Pilatus), baryton :blank:
- Karl-Magnus Fredriksson (Jesus), baryton :blank:

http://translate.google.com/?#fr/en/baryton :)

Thanks for the link. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Wakefield

Quote from: Opus106 on April 17, 2013, 08:40:14 AM
http://translate.google.com/?#fr/en/baryton :)

Thanks for the link. :)

You're welcome, Navneeth.

I am just a bit puzzled because usually Bach's works follow the pattern SATB: soprano;  alto (not mezzo-soprano); tenor & bass (not baritone).

Anyway, this video looks quite interesting, so I have planned to watch it this weekend.
:)
-- Voltaire

Opus106

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 17, 2013, 09:46:52 AM
I am just a bit puzzled because usually Bach's works follow the pattern SATB: soprano;  alto (not mezzo-soprano); tenor & bass (not baritone).

Ah, I hadn't noticed that discrepancy.

Anyway, this video looks quite interesting, so I have planned to watch it this weekend.
:)

There's a lot of video lag using my connection. I must find a work-around.
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

This is stunning Bach!

J.S. Bach
Transcriptions
for Piano Quintet, String Trio, Solo Piano, and Viola Sonata
Ensemble Contraste
la dolce volta

German link - UK link
incl. bits from: BWV659, 639, 12, 225, 854, 1079, 826, 244, 508

Amazing-amazingly gorgeous. Best of 2013 ticket booked!!!

milk

I attended an all-Bach concert by Jorg Demus in Kyoto, Japan today. He played the second half of WTC I and the Partita # 6. Not being musically educated, I can't describe it well but I enjoyed it immensely. He did a lot with tempos. I don't know: it seems to be somewhat romantic Bach. But it was very fresh. I was never bored. It was nice to see a master play in a small room. Perhaps there were 60 people there, almost all women - many with the score in hand (there was a lecture before). It doesn't seem like many men take up the piano these days in Japan. I got to take a picture with him afterwards. He's very approachable and kindly.

kishnevi

Quote from: milk on April 21, 2013, 06:15:53 AM
I attended an all-Bach concert by Jorg Demus in Kyoto, Japan today. He played the second half of WTC I and the Partita # 6. Not being musically educated, I can't describe it well but I enjoyed it immensely. He did a lot with tempos. I don't know: it seems to be somewhat romantic Bach. But it was very fresh. I was never bored. It was nice to see a master play in a small room. Perhaps there were 60 people there, almost all women - many with the score in hand (there was a lecture before). It doesn't seem like many men take up the piano these days in Japan. I got to take a picture with him afterwards. He's very approachable and kindly.

Sounds like a beatiful concert to be treasured! 
What instrument did he play?

milk

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 21, 2013, 06:19:33 PM
Sounds like a beatiful concert to be treasured! 
What instrument did he play?
He played a modern concert grand. I get the feeling that people aren't too aware of period pianos here in Japan. There are harpsichordists of course - I've seen some harpsichord recitals. And Kobe Shoin Women's university has a wonderful copy of a baroque organ - probably due to Masaaki Suzuki's affiliation with that institution. I was told that Demus has been coming to Japan and giving piano workshops for many years. It was a memory to treasure. I wish I had more musical knowledge to characterize what he was doing. He was very flexible with his agogics and dynamics (if I'm using these terms correctly). I think of Bach as building these grand structures of moods. I was surprised at the different kinds of structures Demus created (with different tempos and accents). I was often surprised and delighted. One of his students commented that he has a soft touch. But I didn't think that that was what he was doing at all. I thought he was quite forceful and even fearless. I'm also getting used to the difference between recordings and live performances. I guess a master like Demus is really present at every moment and is able to bring out something new in a performance. The manner of the performance was also interesting. He didn't use a score. Rather, he played three or four preludes and fugues, took applause, and then went to the back and sat down for about 30 seconds. And then came back to proceed with three or four more. He broke this up by playing the partita in the middle before an intermission. All in all, it was an extremely interesting afternoon. I hope to get the chance to see more intimate concerts with masters like him.   

Octave

Thanks for your account of this concert, milk; I enjoyed reading it.  Was the mostly-female audience typical of your concert-going experience in Japan?
You really should use the pic with Demus as your avatar....but only if you guys have arms over each other's shoulders and giving big "thumbs up" to the camera.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

milk

Quote from: Octave on April 22, 2013, 12:18:09 AM
Thanks for your account of this concert, milk; I enjoyed reading it.  Was the mostly-female audience typical of your concert-going experience in Japan?
You really should use the pic with Demus as your avatar....but only if you guys have arms over each other's shoulders and giving big "thumbs up" to the camera.
Yeah, I couldn't get him to do the thumbs up! Well, I think many of these people were students and I just don't think many young guys in Japan are taking up the piano. I suspect that boys might even be dissuaded from becoming serious about it (maybe more by unspoken peer pressure). It's not a way that most people can make a living and Japanese men don't have much time for hobbies I'm afraid. It's typical for Japanese men to work six or seven days a week and ten or twelve hours a day. At the bigger concerts I've been to, the audience is, perhaps, mostly women or retired people. If there is a Japanese person in the forum, they can comment on the validity of my suppositions. I could be wrong but it's what I've observed.

Karl Henning

Word in from Presto Classical that the Bach flash drive has despatched!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on April 29, 2013, 04:41:11 AM
Hm, I don't think I've noticed this spelling before, or have thought that it's just a typo.

This set does look excellent, though - although the massiveness might be a bit too much.
Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Gustav Leonhardt, Concentus Musicus Wien, Il Giardino Armonico, Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood, Ton Koopman, Scott Ross, Andreas Staier, Kurt Equiluz, Robert Holl, Thomas Zehetmair, Frans Brüggen, and many more ...
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

premont

Quote from: karlhenning on April 29, 2013, 04:41:11 AM

Would you  mind to provide a link to this release?
Thanks beforehand.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: North Star on April 29, 2013, 05:39:42 AM
Hm, I don't think I've noticed this spelling before, or have thought that it's just a typo.

This set does look excellent, though - although the massiveness might be a bit too much.

Presto spells it in that way:

Despatch notification
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 29, 2013, 05:51:39 AM
Would you  mind to provide a link to this release?
Thanks beforehand.

Courtesy of Nav.

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 29, 2013, 05:55:04 AM

Quote from: North Star on April 29, 2013, 05:39:42 AM

Presto spells it in that way:

Despatch notification

Yes, a variant spelling; found myself checking the dictionary, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

premont

Quote from: karlhenning on April 29, 2013, 06:00:02 AM
Courtesy of Nav.

Oh, that one. Fortunately I own almost all of the content already. Outstanding value for money.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν