Bach's Bungalow

Started by aquablob, April 06, 2007, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Gordo on April 20, 2014, 07:12:05 PM
Interesting opinions, Jeffrey.

I generally prefer the Teldec Edition as a whole. The only exceptions are the keyboard works (when played on period instruments) and the organ works which are, IMO, fully competitive (keyboard works) or on a par (organ works) with the Teldec Edition.

IMO, those flute sonatas are some of the worst disks of the Hänssler Edition.
The only other recording of the flute works I have is the one in the Teldec box, and frankly neither performance impressed me, so I am left thinking this part of Bach's output is not among his best. 

Wakefield

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 20, 2014, 07:18:37 PM
The only other recording of the flute works I have is the one in the Teldec box, and frankly neither performance impressed me, so I am left thinking this part of Bach's output is not among his best.

Well, you're not alone, some people think this way. I'm not one of them, though.

If you decide to try again in the future, I would suggest to try this superb disk:

[asin]B000023XE7[/asin]
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 20, 2014, 07:18:37 PM

You might be onto something... :-) http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/04/bach-is-next-to-godliness-flute-not_8.html

DavidW

While I agree that the flute sonatas do not rank among Bach's greatest works, I still enjoy them.  I like this recording, which I've heard through streaming... I really need to buy it.

[asin] B00AG8HSZG[/asin]

Wakefield

Definitely my standpoint is very different here: I don't experience any boredom when I listen to Barthold Kuijken (DHM), Masahiro Arita (Denon) or the aforementioned Hantaï (Virgin), IMO the finest exponents in this repertoire.

On the other hand, my experience with Oliva was disappointing. The mixing flute/piano was really soporific, not just because of the instruments, but because of the light touch of Hewitt, too.

That said, are these works and the partita the greatest masterpieces of Bach? No, of course, they are not and their story is full of unanswered questions. But, IMO, there is a lot of enjoyment to be found there.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Quote from: DavidW on April 21, 2014, 06:20:10 AM
While I agree that the flute sonatas do not rank among Bach's greatest works, I still enjoy them.  I like this recording, which I've heard through streaming... I really need to buy it.

[asin] B00AG8HSZG[/asin]

Bless me!  I have that recording but completely forgot about it last night.  Well, it is better than the Hanssler recording,  but not enough to make me a fan.   I will wishlist Jens' suggestion (at his link)  but at the current prices for the Hantai,  that will have to wait for a reissue.

kishnevi

BTW,  I'm listening to Boris Pergamenshikow performing the cello suites now (from the Hanssler box),  and it's a first rate performance;  I get to leave the set with one of its high points, apparently.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 21, 2014, 07:43:47 AM
Bless me!  I have that recording but completely forgot about it last night.  Well, it is better than the Hanssler recording,  but not enough to make me a fan.   I will wishlist Jens' suggestion (at his link)  but at the current prices for the Hantai,  that will have to wait for a reissue.

I wonder who plays 'em on the Flash Edition . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

Quote from: karlhenning on April 21, 2014, 08:43:39 AM
I wonder who plays 'em on the Flash Edition . . . .

Leopold Stastny [plus Frans Brüggen (BWV 1039)]
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

premont

Quote from: Gordo on April 21, 2014, 09:26:31 AM
Leopold Stastny [plus Frans Brüggen (BWV 1039)]

Not all of them, a few are recorded om MI by Rampal and co. At least the Partita is considered authentic.

Partita for Flute solo in A minor, BWV 1013 by Johann Sebastian Bach
Performer:  Jean-Pierre Rampal (Flute)
Written: ?1720s; ?Cöthen, Germany

Sonata for Flute and Harpsichord in E flat major, BWV 1031 by Johann Sebastian Bach
Performer:  Jean-Pierre Rampal (Flute), Robert Veyron-Lacroix (Harpsichord), Jordi Savall (Bass Viola da gamba)
Written: circa 1734; Leipzig, Germany

Sonata for Flute and Harpsichord in C major, BWV 1033 by Johann Sebastian Bach
Performer:  Jordi Savall (Bass Viola da gamba), Robert Veyron-Lacroix (Harpsichord), Jean-Pierre Rampal (Flute)
Written: Germany
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 24, 2014, 09:35:32 AM
Not all of them, a few are recorded om MI by Rampal and co. At least the Partita is considered authentic.

Partita for Flute solo in A minor, BWV 1013 by Johann Sebastian Bach
Performer:  Jean-Pierre Rampal (Flute)
Written: ?1720s; ?Cöthen, Germany

Sonata for Flute and Harpsichord in E flat major, BWV 1031 by Johann Sebastian Bach
Performer:  Jean-Pierre Rampal (Flute), Robert Veyron-Lacroix (Harpsichord), Jordi Savall (Bass Viola da gamba)
Written: circa 1734; Leipzig, Germany

Sonata for Flute and Harpsichord in C major, BWV 1033 by Johann Sebastian Bach
Performer:  Jordi Savall (Bass Viola da gamba), Robert Veyron-Lacroix (Harpsichord), Jean-Pierre Rampal (Flute)
Written: Germany

Yes, it's right. But we were talking about the flute sonatas, so the partita didn't come to my mind.

Regarding the sonatas BWV 1031 and BWV 1033, I agree they could be included or not as a part of a complete set. For instance, Barthold Kuijken didn't include any of them as part of his set on DHM; but later the sonata BWV 1033 appears as part of his disk on Accent. 

Do you have some strong favorite here?
-- Voltaire

HIPster

Pardon the interruption, but I see that this about to be released on Alpha:

http://www.outhere-music.com/en/albums/sonates-solo-pour-la-flute-traversiere-alpha-186

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH
SONATES & SOLO POUR LA FLÛTE TRAVERSIÈRE
Thomas Dunford - Jean Rondeau - Les Musiciens de Saint-Julien
Lucile Boulanger - François Lazarevitch
As director of Les Musiciens de Saint-Julien, François Lazarevitch has enabled us to discover numerous treasures stemming from dance and folk music. For the first time on Alpha, he has recorded a solo album, devoted to Johann Sebastian Bach's Flute Sonatas. His approach to these works benefits from his experience as the conductor of an ensemble, enriched by the particularly varied musical experiments he has carried out.

So this disc offers us an especially interesting and singular interpretation of these treasures by Bach with a rhythmic approach not lacking in swing, and backed up, it is true, by a basso continuo featuring first-rank instrumentalists.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Wakefield

Quote from: HIPster on April 24, 2014, 03:51:46 PM
Pardon the interruption, but I see that this about to be released on Alpha:

http://www.outhere-music.com/en/albums/sonates-solo-pour-la-flute-traversiere-alpha-186

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH
SONATES & SOLO POUR LA FLÛTE TRAVERSIÈRE
Thomas Dunford - Jean Rondeau - Les Musiciens de Saint-Julien
Lucile Boulanger - François Lazarevitch
As director of Les Musiciens de Saint-Julien, François Lazarevitch has enabled us to discover numerous treasures stemming from dance and folk music. For the first time on Alpha, he has recorded a solo album, devoted to Johann Sebastian Bach's Flute Sonatas. His approach to these works benefits from his experience as the conductor of an ensemble, enriched by the particularly varied musical experiments he has carried out.

So this disc offers us an especially interesting and singular interpretation of these treasures by Bach with a rhythmic approach not lacking in swing, and backed up, it is true, by a basso continuo featuring first-rank instrumentalists.

Excellent: a new release to explore.

Talking about Outhere's labels, I have also considered this Ramée disk (flute/pianoforte): http://www.ramee.org/0404gb.html

-- Voltaire

G. String

Quote from: Gordo on April 24, 2014, 02:30:32 PM
Do you have some strong favorite here?

Good BWV1030-1035s: Beznosiuk & Nicholson & Tunnicliffe, Galway & Moll & Cunningham (fav), Hazelzet & Ogg & Linden (fav), Petri & Jarrett (fav), Preston & Pinnock & Savall Rampal & Pinnock & Pidoux, See & Moroney & Springfels

Good BWV1013s: Beznosiuk, Galway, Preston (fav), Rampal

Wakefield

Quote from: G. String on April 25, 2014, 03:08:05 AM
Good BWV1030-1035s: Beznosiuk & Nicholson & Tunnicliffe, Galway & Moll & Cunningham (fav), Hazelzet & Ogg & Linden (fav), Petri & Jarrett (fav), Preston & Pinnock & Savall Rampal & Pinnock & Pidoux, See & Moroney & Springfels

Good BWV1013s: Beznosiuk, Galway, Preston (fav), Rampal

Thanks, G. String!

I have all the interpretations on period instrument and Rampal.

Among those mentioned, I also prefer Hazelzet (btw, he has a previous recording as a member of Musica Antiqua Köln).

Some years ago I enjoyed quite a lot Janet See, but currently I'm bit exasperated by her extremely slow tempi. Beznosiuk, on the contrary, has never conquered my attention (a little bit... boring?).

I'm considering Petri/Jarret (played on recorder, right?), so your opinion is welcomed.

As I said before my personal favorites are Hantaï (Virgin), Kuijken (DHM) and Arita (Denon). Of course, Hantaï is not a "complete" set. 

Then Preston (almost at the same level of the previous three, re-released on BC) and Brüggen (SEON).

After them the excellent Joshua Smith (on Delos Records).  :)
-- Voltaire

G. String

Quote from: Gordo on April 25, 2014, 06:50:51 PM

I'm considering Petri/Jarret (played on recorder, right?), so your opinion is welcomed.

I'm not a fan of Jarrett but I am of Petri. Yes, it's a recorder but one with a modern pitch. The recorder sounds colder than flute for sure but it is way more lucid. They are a bit faster than Hazelzet's take but, with Petri in her top form, they all sound fluent instead of rushed. I like their Handel sonatas, too and I's recommend this set, too.

premont

Among those mentioned, I also prefer Hazelzet (btw, he has a previous recording as a member of Musica Antiqua Köln).

Some years ago I enjoyed quite a lot Janet See, but currently I'm bit exasperated by her extremely slow tempi. Beznosiuk, on the contrary, has never conquered my attention (a little bit... boring?).

As I said before my personal favorites are Hantaï (Virgin), Kuijken (DHM) and Arita (Denon). Of course, Hantaï is not a "complete" set. 

Then Preston (almost at the same level of the previous three, re-released on BC) and Brüggen (SEON).

Excactly my preferences and even in identical order. I recently acquired Beznosiuk, but I feel, that the music never really takes off under her fingers.

Petri, yes recorders, she plays more expressive than usual, somewhat like the Händel sonata CD also with Jarrett.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

G. String

Beznosiuk, on the contrary, has never conquered my attention (a little bit... boring?).

I have Goebel's chamber music set with Hazelzet and Bouman but I'm not a fan of any in that set.

I like listening to Beznosiuk's 1013.

I'll listen to Suzuki/Arita today again. I'm not sure I have Hantai unless it's in a box set or something

Moonfish

I "tortured" my kids with this BBC Bach documentary today! Pretty interesting overall (as an overview)!   :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkKd1fjgqKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkKd1fjgqKI
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé