Recordings of Mahler's 7th

Started by Montpellier, December 15, 2007, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

The Vanska M7 is very satisfying and keeps me entranced throughout the entire progression of the work. It's detailed oriented which works really well for the 7th. The phrasing is conscious with intent and really swings well, played with élan! 

relm1

Quote from: Leo K. on September 21, 2022, 04:59:39 AM

The Vanska M7 is very satisfying and keeps me entranced throughout the entire progression of the work. It's detailed oriented which works really well for the 7th. The phrasing is conscious with intent and really swings well, played with élan!

How is his phrasing?  Some of his Mahler phrasing in other works - I can't remember if M2 or M8, I felt were trying to be novel but felt odd.  Slowing when it should speed up or vice versa. 

Leo K.

The phrasing feels natural and well shaped - and no irritating rubato as far as I can tell.  It's a real tight ensemble throughout.

LKB

How is the opening of the first movement, are the string articulations distinct or does it sound like tremolo?
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

lordlance

Quote from: LKB on September 22, 2022, 07:52:45 PM
How is the opening of the first movement, are the string articulations distinct or does it sound like tremolo?

It's easy to sample it: https://www.youtube.com/embed/vuf4hXL1TD8
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Leo K.