Recordings of Mahler's 7th

Started by Montpellier, December 15, 2007, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crudblud

Gielen gets this symphony so well. From the way he reads the tremolo strings in the very opening bars to just, well... everything. It's so, so good! If I had to pick desert island discs it would probably be on the list.

Ken B

Boulez, Klemperer, Abbado, Abravanel, Levine. As usual with Mahler Bernstein is in the bottom half of the class.

Heck148

Abbado/CSO/DG
Bernstein/NYPO I, CBS, 60s...

kishnevi

Abbado/BPO
As best I remember, I thought Rattle was meh.
Sinopoli is another good one, and so is MTT/SFO
And I kind of liked Klemperer.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 27, 2016, 07:33:10 PM
And I kind of liked Klemperer.

Considering what most poeple think of it, that comes as a resounding endorsement  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

springrite

I really like the Tennstedt LIVE (On Memories label), and the Boulez on DG.

But the best LIVE I have attended was Gielen (LA Phil)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Jay F

1. My favorite Mahler 7 is part of this box set. [asin]B005SJIP1E[/asin] It's a much better deal to buy it than the single CD, and it features DSD sound.

2. This is my next favorite, Bernstein on DG ($2.99 on eBay): http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAHLER-SYMPHONIE-NO-7-Bernstein-/222296997935?hash=item33c1ef002f:g:uTcAAOSwxg5X1dxt

3. Then there's Abbado's original version with the Chicago SO, in its original 2-CD release:  [asin]B00000E2WI[/asin]

4. Later, I discovered Barenboim's M7, and it became a new favorite. [asin]B000EGDMSC[/asin]

5. Same with MTT: [asin]B000QZUZZO[/asin]

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I just listened to this one, which I now like very much

Mirror Image asked me what I thought in WAYLTN............

Quote from: jessop on October 29, 2016, 09:41:00 PM
Quote from: Mirror Image on October 29, 2016, 08:36:41 PM
What do you think of that performance, Jessop?
I hadn't heard it before but it's very good. It is very grand but not quite as grand as Sinopoli's. The thing about this symphony is how much the tempi vary in each interpretation. Chailly takes his time to the most wonderful effect I have heard in the more lyrical subjects in the exposition and recapitulation and the changes tempo are imperceptible, almost like Elliott Carter and his metric modulation. The only thing about this interpretation is that there are times in some of the most heroic or climactic moments of the first movement that it feels a bit restraint. Perhaps because Chailly views things on more of a macro level in terms of the underlying pace of the movement. Personally I think that there could have been a bit more variety in the phrasing in these moments in the work, but the way Chailly builds up from 23:48 to 24:03 is absolutely thrilling. The middle movements are all pretty good to me, but where this interpretation really shines is in the finale where the fast pace is really complemented by wonderful micro-phrasing and really obvious articulations and accents that bring the movement to life. Around the 2nd minute and the 3rd minute of the last movement this is really apparent, with the music always seeming to be moving forwards to the next idea, the next colour, the next mood, in what always sounds logical fashion. The timpani+trumpet combination sound bright and dazzling, and the last couple of minutes (which are my favourite last minutes in any Mahler symphony) have that kind of heightened passion and intensity that I felt was missing at times in the recap/coda of the first movement.

KevinP

This is Mahler's most challenging works for the conductor. It's easy for a name conductor to get each movement right, but much harder to get the movements to fit together. The darkness of the earlier movements and the sunshine of the final are not easily reconciled.

Marc

The Oldies are good enough for me.
Most of them are Dead Oldies, btw.

In no particular order:

Bernstein/NYPh
Solti/ChSO
Haitink/Concertgebouw (1985 Xmas Matinee)
Abbado/ChSO

Marc

PerfectWagnerite

A recent favorite of mine is Masur/Gewandhaus. At a tad over 71min one of the fastest on record. The first movement whizzes by at a little over 19 min where a typical timing is more like 22min. The main Allegro really whizzes by but still with a lot of detail. The tenor horn solo is played mezzo-piano instead of forte as marked, giving the music a much more sinister feeling.

Mirror Image

I'm not a huge fan of Rattle's Mahler, but I recall his 7th being particularly good. I think he was the first conductor who made this work click for me, but it was Abbado/CSO and Bernstein/NYPO (DG) that sealed the deal for me.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2016, 07:32:04 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Rattle's Mahler, but I recall his 7th being particularly good.
Is that with the City of Birmingham SO or is there another one?

Quote from: Marc on October 31, 2016, 10:55:10 AM
Concertgebouw Amsterdam, December 25th, 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/v/IEoYrRBAGqA
Wow that is some superb playing !

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 06, 2016, 11:13:07 AMIs that with the City of Birmingham SO or is there another one?

It's with Birmingham.

VonStupp

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on November 21, 2021, 01:19:40 AM

I've never really got on with Mahler's 7th, which is why this disc, given away free with BBC Music Magazine, is the only version I own. It's a decent enough performance, but I should probably acquire another (Chailly or Abbado maybe?).

Yes, of Abbado's with Berlin, I think the 7th is my favorite of his cycle. Otherwise, I have kept Bernstein/NY, Solti/Levine (70's), and Klemperer close at hand.

I was very, very surprised a decade or so ago when Gerard Schwarz leading the RLPO gave a strong reading of the 7th. I still find myself coming back to it when I have a Mahler hankering.

Perhaps it has been too long since I dipped into the Mahler well; it has been a while.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vers la flamme

I really like the Michael Tilson Thomas/LSO on RCA Victor. Just got it recently.

André

Quote from: Marc on October 31, 2016, 10:55:10 AM
Concertgebouw Amsterdam, December 25th, 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/v/IEoYrRBAGqA

A truly fantastic performance. What an orchestra !

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Haven't seen much mention of this one, but I recently picked up Haitink's 2nd (non-cycle) recording, made about 1982.

Although it's early digital, it sounds great, with tons of detail and a nice ambience. Haitink takes a fairly leisurely stroll through the score and at times I wanted more energy, but he's good on atmosphere. 
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

JBS

Quote from: VonStupp on November 21, 2021, 06:35:44 AM
Yes, of Abbado's with Berlin, I think the 7th is my favorite of his cycle. Otherwise, I have kept Bernstein/NY, Solti/Levine (70's), and Klemperer close at hand.

I was very, very surprised a decade or so ago when Gerard Schwarz leading the RLPO gave a strong reading of the 7th. I still find myself coming back to it when I have a Mahler hankering.

Perhaps it has been too long since I dipped into the Mahler well; it has been a while.

VS

Definitely agree the Abbado.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk