Recordings of Mahler's 7th

Started by Montpellier, December 15, 2007, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

I enjoy Neumann/Czech Phil

Neumann is not one to wear his heart on his sleeve in Mahler, which is good for the 7th, since no on seems to agree on what the "message" of the symphony is.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 21, 2021, 06:54:28 PM

Neumann is not one to wear his heart on his sleeve in Mahler, which is good for the 7th, since no on seems to agree on what the "message" of the symphony is.

I've seen you mention this Neumann cycle several times. It certainly makes me think I'm missing something. I own the set, but I don't think I've really given the attention it deserves.

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2021, 07:40:16 PM
I've seen you mention this Neumann cycle several times. It certainly makes me think I'm missing something. I own the set, but I don't think I've really given the attention it deserves.

It's on my shopping list.
So many other things, too!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2021, 07:40:16 PM

I like it because Neumann eschews histrionics, lets the music speak for itself. Similar, in that way, to the Haitink cycle. And the Czech Philharmonic produces beautiful sonorities. A matter of taste, of course.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

amw

I've picked up several recordings but since I only listen to Mahler once every couple of years, attention paid has probably been insufficient.

Solti [Decca] - I have heard this once and don't remember anything about it
Kondrashin [Melodiya] - Generally my favourite. Kondrashin tends to be, in general, the fastest and most neurotic Mahler conductor and therefore tends to divide opinion for that reason. (People also have a variety of opinions regarding Soviet brass.)
Bernstein [Sony] - Also pretty good; hard to go wrong with, in general
Gielen [SWR] - usually described as "modernist"; I'm not really sure what's modernist about it in all honesty. Never had a strong opinion about it
Klemperer [EMI] - Has all the usual tradeoffs of slow tempi, but I don't hate it; just usually need a break after Nachtmusik I
Haitink [RCO Live 1969] - I'm not sure I have actually listened to this
Neumann [Berlin Classics] - This is the Leipzig Gewandhaus recording. Probably the best-sounding one in my collection, at least in terms of orchestral playing. Definitely prachtvoll and, yes, somewhat impersonal. This is usually the other one I listen to most often

I'm not sure what the critical consensus is; professional critics seem to like Bernstein, Mahler anoraks lean more towards Gielen or Abbado (which I'm sure I used to have, but it doesn't appear to be in my collection anymore) etc.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on November 21, 2021, 07:43:58 PM
It's on my shopping list.
So many other things, too!

Yeah, my to-listen-to pile is ridiculous at this juncture. :)

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 21, 2021, 07:45:00 PM
I like it because Neumann eschews histrionics, lets the music speak for itself. Similar, in that way, to the Haitink cycle. And the Czech Philharmonic produces beautiful sonorities. A matter of taste, of course.

Sounds like a fine alternative to Bernstein and Solti. Of course, I love all kinds of Mahler conductors. One for every mood.

Daverz

Last recording that really impressed me was Alexandre Bloch:

Roasted Swan

+1 for Neumann's Mahler.  Absolutely the antithesis interpretatively of say Bernstein (not better just different) but I do love the actual sound the Czech PO make in this music - a unique cycle in this respect.  Also the choral contributions in 2 & 8 are very fine.  Those East European choirs produce a focussed sound certainly Brit choirs cannot match

staxomega

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 21, 2021, 07:13:57 AM
I really like the Michael Tilson Thomas/LSO on RCA Victor. Just got it recently.

This is one of my favorites as well.

Just curious, do you hear any noise reduction on this box? I was sampling the Kletzki Beethoven reissue box on Supraphon and it does have some noise reduction, the earlier CDs from the 90s sounded better.

André

Macal's fine Czech Phil recording on Exton boasts excellent playing and sound. They also recorded the 3rd (splendid) and 4th symphonies - but the series ended there.

Que

Quote from: hvbias on November 24, 2021, 04:42:58 AM
Just curious, do you hear any noise reduction on this box? I was sampling the Kletzki Beethoven reissue box on Supraphon and it does have some noise reduction, the earlier CDs from the 90s sounded better.

You just made me feel much better!  :)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: hvbias on November 24, 2021, 04:42:58 AMJust curious, do you hear any noise reduction on this box? I was sampling the Kletzki Beethoven reissue box on Supraphon and it does have some noise reduction, the earlier CDs from the 90s sounded better.

I had several volumes from the early release and, although I have not made side-by-side comparisons, the complete set doesn't sound any different to me. These recordings are from the late 70's and noise reduction is generally not appropriate for recordings of that era.

lordlance

Thoughts on the latest Mahler 7s from two of BPO's music directors?

Petrenko with Bavarian State Orchestra:

Simon Rattle with Berliner Philharmoniker:

If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

DavidW

Quote from: amw on November 21, 2021, 07:57:57 PM
Gielen [SWR] - usually described as "modernist"; I'm not really sure what's modernist about it in all honesty. Never had a strong opinion about it

I sometimes think that anyone that provides some transparency, detail and avoids the hyper-romanticism of DG Bernstein ends up labeled as either a modernist or a classicist in Mahler.  I was recently relistening to the 2nd and 9th from the Gielen set and finding myself wondering why I bought into that narrative.  Gielen is not even as emotionally cool as Boulez or Ivan Fischer.

staxomega

Quote from: hvbias on November 24, 2021, 04:42:58 AM
This is one of my favorites as well.

I bought the Supraphon cycle shorted after this discussion and listened to it a couple of times, these were so good that I decided to give the incomplete Exton cycle a try, it only has symphonies 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9. I also bought Neumann's recording of 8 with Czech Phil on Pro-Arte that is different from the Supraphon cycle, both 8s are good performances but won't make my personal greatest ever (some not top tier singing). I found the performances superior on the Exton cycle and in considerably better recording quality.

LKB

Quote from: lordlance on April 12, 2022, 01:45:59 AM
Thoughts on the latest Mahler 7s from two of BPO's music directors?

Petrenko with Bavarian State Orchestra:

Simon Rattle with Berliner Philharmoniker:

Rattle and the BPO toured with M7 in 2017. Since my greatest concert experience was M7 as realized by Haitink with his RCO in 1982, l was keen to hear what Rattle would make of the piece with his orchestra.

I was so bored, l left the hall during the third movement to use the facilities; the usher let me back in after a bit of sweet-talking.

The one saving grace was Jonathan Kelly's oboe playing, but for his efforts I'd have counted the evening as a bust.

( Corrected the year of Haitink's concert - LKB )
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

lordlance

Quote from: LKB on July 03, 2022, 06:58:48 AM
Rattle and the BPO toured with M7 in 2017. Since my greatest concert experience was M7 as realized by Haitink with his RCO in 1984, l was keen to hear what Rattle would make of the piece with his orchestra.

I was so bored, l left the hall during the third movement to use the facilities; the usher let me back in after a bit of sweet-talking.

The one saving grace was Jonathan Kelly's oboe playing, but for his efforts I'd have counted the evening as a bust.

Have you tried any of other Rattle's Mahler?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

vers la flamme

My favorites for this symphony include:

Michael Tilson Thomas/LSO (rather new to me, but so, so good)
Abbado/Chicago (I've been told many times that the Berlin is even better; I'll get it eventually, I'm sure)
Bernstein/NY (first I ever heard, but it's been a while)
Boulez/Cleveland (the only Boulez Mahler recording to which I would apply the Boulez cliches of "clinical" performance, but it's a magnificent realization of the piece)

I also have the Klemperer but cannot make heads or tails of it.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 16, 2022, 02:59:52 AM
My favorites for this symphony include:

Michael Tilson Thomas/LSO (rather new to me, but so, so good)
Abbado/Chicago (I've been told many times that the Berlin is even better; I'll get it eventually, I'm sure)
Bernstein/NY (first I ever heard, but it's been a while)
Boulez/Cleveland (the only Boulez Mahler recording to which I would apply the Boulez cliches of "clinical" performance, but it's a magnificent realization of the piece)

I also have the Klemperer but cannot make heads or tails of it.

See what you make of Haitink in London in the 1980s - I just happened to listen to the first four movements a few weeks ago and enjoyed the small scale and transparent vibe  (I never listen to the end of this one unless forced)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8KlgokOJrfk
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

LKB

Quote from: lordlance on August 16, 2022, 01:37:33 AM
Have you tried any of other Rattle's Mahler?

( Reading that as, " Have you tried any of Rattle's other Mahler? " )

I quite enjoy the M2 he recorded back in the '80's with the CBSO on EMI,  with Baker and Auger. I still have the CD box in storage.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...