Bach's Violin Sonatas & Partitas (solo)

Started by MISHUGINA, December 16, 2007, 01:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on August 21, 2009, 02:03:45 PM
Yes, and he is one of my modern instruments favorites. Clean, noble and without idiosyncrasies.
Not unlike Kaler.

A new Gidon Kremer?

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on August 23, 2009, 03:45:49 AM
A new Gidon Kremer?

I have never heard any of Kremer´s recordings, so I can not tell.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jwinter

Anyone heard Rudolf Gahler's version, played with a curved bow?  Wondering what difference it makes as far as the sound of the violin, and if it's an interpretation worth exploring....
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

prémont

Quote from: jwinter on August 23, 2009, 11:03:12 AM
Anyone heard Rudolf Gahler's version, played with a curved bow?  Wondering what difference it makes as far as the sound of the violin, and if it's an interpretation worth exploring....

Theoretically the possibility of activating three or four strings at the same time seems to be an irresistible option. In practice it does not add much of importance to the music. To be honest: These CDs have not spun much on my deck. Maybe part of the explanation is, that Gähler does not compare to the great alternatives without curved bow.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jwinter

Quote from: premont on August 23, 2009, 12:27:20 PM
Theoretically the possibility of activating three or four strings at the same time seems to be an irresistible option. In practice it does not add much of importance to the music. To be honest: These CDs have not spun much on my deck. Maybe part of the explanation is, that Gähler does not compare to the great alternatives without curved bow.

Much as I suspected, thanks... :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Franco

Quote from: jwinter on August 23, 2009, 11:03:12 AM
Anyone heard Rudolf Gahler's version, played with a curved bow?  Wondering what difference it makes as far as the sound of the violin, and if it's an interpretation worth exploring....

I'm confused, it is easy to make the wood curve, but how does one make the bow hairs curve?

EDIT: After a quick Google, the hairs are loosened.  Not sure if this is an unqualified good thing.

ccar

Quote from: dirkronk on March 13, 2009, 05:19:10 AM

Alas, I have to agree that Enescu waited too late to record the works. Same IMO with Szigeti. However, both artists are so insightful in places that I keep their sets around anyway, even though I listen only on rare occasion.

Dirk

I fully agree. Not for the purists or perfectionists.  But for magical phrasing and individual artistry I also do come back to Szigeti (and Enescu).
Apart from the later complete set (1955-1956) Szigeti earlier versions of Sonatas n. 1 (1931 and 1946) n.2 (1933 and 1949) and Partita n.3 (1949) are worth hearing and always a refreshing oasis in a desert of so many academic, historically informed, perfectly recorded but insipid versions .    

prémont

Quote from: ccar on September 12, 2009, 05:04:01 AM
.. historically informed, perfectly recorded but insipid versions .    

Would you please put a name (or two) on these (do I suppose) many historically informed, perfectly recorded but insipid versions?

BTW this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DavidW

Welcome to the forum ccar, would have been nice if you had bothered to introduce yourself in the introductions room first. :P

It's kind of like taking off your hat and your coat and greeting the host before helping yourself to the champagne. ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: premont on September 12, 2009, 07:05:31 AM
Would you please put a name (or two) on these (do I suppose) many historically informed, perfectly recorded but insipid versions?

BTW this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

I'm curious about that too. Of course, I greatly prefer ALL Bach to be played as though it was composed 200 years later, but still, I'd like to know who I can compare it against... ::)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Constance Keene - Hummel Sonata #9 in C for Piano WoO 3 1st mvmt
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

WI Dan

Another vote for Milstein on EMI, for both.   :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Dan on September 12, 2009, 08:38:44 PM
Another vote for Milstein on EMI, for both.   :)

I bought this 2-CD set about 2 months ago.  Both the SQ and performance were excellent.  I believe Milstein recorded these Bach works for both DG and EMI ...

I somehow forgot to add the CD photo ...    ???

WI Dan

I should have made clear that mine are these remastered old timers, originally from the 1950's, I believe:

WI Dan

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2009, 12:42:46 AM
They are the same recording as:

Q

Ah, .. I see.  Thanks, Que.
That double CD set is now OOP, according to Amazon.

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2009, 12:42:46 AM
They are the same recording as:

Q

The DG set is stereo.  It is an excellent set and I am glad I finally picked up some recordings by Milstein.

snyprrr

After studying this thread and other sources I have settled on a choice to get to know these works, but I can't choose... any opinions between Sitovetsky vs. Mintz?

Please don't judge my choices. I know... there are others out there I would also like to try, including the Milstein (both versions vying for attention!), but, honestly, the prices for some of the sets I saw on Amazon were pretty high... I did see a version of the Szyrig/DG (sic) for cheap, but, I'm just NOT gonna pay a lot for that muffler!

jlaurson

Quote from: snyprrr on September 15, 2009, 07:22:02 PM
After studying this thread and other sources I have settled on a choice to get to know these works, but I can't choose... any opinions between Sitovetsky vs. Mintz?

Please don't judge my choices. I know... there are others out there I would also like to try, including the Milstein (both versions vying for attention!), but, honestly, the prices for some of the sets I saw on Amazon were pretty high... I did see a version of the Szyrig/DG (sic) for cheap, but, I'm just NOT gonna pay a lot for that muffler!

Milstein, DG & Podger, Channel Classics would be my top two choices (if I were thus limited).
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2004/07/dip-your-ears-no-2.html

But I find Mintz terrific, too... certainly the most mellifluous account of the S&P that I've heard to date.

And if you feel like spending the big bucks, after all, there's Mullova on Onyx, and that's really grown on me.
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=563

prémont

Quote from: jlaurson on September 18, 2009, 02:22:27 AM
But I find Mintz terrific, too... certainly the most mellifluous account of the S&P that I've heard to date.

Do you mean romantic?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MN Dave

Quote from: Coopmv on September 13, 2009, 03:37:49 AM
The DG set is stereo.  It is an excellent set and I am glad I finally picked up some recordings by Milstein.

I listen to that all the time.

jlaurson

Quote from: premont on September 18, 2009, 03:43:12 AM
Do you mean romantic?

No... not really. Rather "smooth". As if there was no difficulty involved in playing it... honeyed rather than edgy--but not treacly. "Singing" perhaps, is a better word than "honeyed".