Bach's Violin Sonatas & Partitas (solo)

Started by MISHUGINA, December 16, 2007, 01:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: jlaurson on September 18, 2009, 05:46:48 AM
No... not really. Rather "smooth". As if there was no difficulty involved in playing it... honeyed rather than edgy--but not treacly. "Singing" perhaps, is a better word than "honeyed".

This sounds like Mozart's decription of how music should be played - it must "flow like oil". I kind of like that description...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

snyprrr

Like butta...

Well, I ended up getting the Sitkovetsky on Hanssler (formerly Orfeo)...it was only $6... Mintz was just a few dollars more... hey, every penny right now $:)!$$$ 0:)

I have Mintz playing Shostakovich's Violin and Viola Sonatas, and he tears up Paganini. He always delivers the goods in spades.

I have Sitkovetsky playing DSCH and Prokofiev concertos. Great set.

prémont

Quote from: snyprrr on September 18, 2009, 08:41:36 PM
Well, I ended up getting the Sitkovetsky on Hanssler (formerly Orfeo)...

Two different recordings AFAIK.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

snyprrr

Quote from: premont on September 19, 2009, 04:52:39 AM
Two different recordings AFAIK.

I was reading one of the reviews on Amazon, and my impression was that Hanssler had gotten the Orfeo recording for Hanssler's "Complete Bach" set?

Can anyone concur?...either way?

prémont

Quote from: snyprrr on September 19, 2009, 10:18:34 AM
I was reading one of the reviews on Amazon, and my impression was that Hanssler had gotten the Orfeo recording for Hanssler's "Complete Bach" set?

Can anyone concur?...either way?

According to JPC´s website the Orfeo recording was made in 1985 and the Haenssler recording in 1997.
I also remember some review long time ago comparing the two as if they were two different recordings.
I own the Haenssler, but not the Orfeo, and can not make the comparison.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

snyprrr

Just listened to the Sitkovetsky/Hanssler...

First of all, I can't remember if or when I listened to the whole thing in one sitting, but my friend and I were just sitting there in awe of this supreme music...it just goes on and on like the Energizer bunny, just endlessly spinning webs of music before your ears. WOW!!!

So, as I was listening, I was thinking that the only thing a performer could do would be to be "invisible", and just let the music speak. Now, I think I could enjoy a performance where the player was gasping and straining, but, of course, Sitkovetsky is in the "effortless" class of performer. The sensation I got most often was that the music was "flying".

Sometimes, his attack sounded like it was coming out of nothing, and the actual sound of the violin seemed to take on a very rarified tone of delicacy. All the double-,triple-, and quad-stops are executed in mind boggling fashion. I started acting like Herbert Lom in the PinkPanther movies...little tiks developed as the mind blowing factor increased!!! The music is just some overwhelming that you're just left shaking your head.

Now, I don't have any compares to Sitkovetsky, but, I can imagine the Mintz takes this to the next level. Not that Sitkovetsky is any slouch, but Mintz's reputation is pretty formidable. Frankly, I'm starting to wonder how oldies like Milstein... well, I guess I've just got to hear him!

I guess Sitkovetsky sounds as if he's playing with reserve, as if he's got chops to spare. There were points in the C Major Sonata that Sitkovetsky was using every ounce of aplomb, but he never really shows any strain whatsoever. Trust me, I'm so blown away by this cd that Sitkovetsky could be playing a banana for all I care.

This music is so supreme I honestly can't write anymore. Just thinking about it gives me chills. And, I think, for me, I now prefer Bach solo violin to Bach solo cello. I've tried to master listening to the cello suites for years (Ma or Rosty), but these violin works got me from the first listen.

WOW!!! Now I know what the words transcendant and sublime were invented for!

Antoine Marchand

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this recording (or performer)?

J.S. Bach - Sonaten & Partiten für Violine BWV 1001-1006
3 CDs
Susanne Lautenbacher, violin
Documents, ADD, 1974

Listening to some excerpts, it seems rather expressive and well permormed. Am I wrong?

:)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 13, 2010, 03:35:01 PM

J.S. Bach - Sonaten & Partiten für Violine BWV 1001-1006  3 CDs  Susanne Lautenbacher, violin
Documents, ADD, 1974

Antoine - I cannot comment on her in the Bach performances, but suspect that she does then well!

However, I do own the 2-CD set w/ her below in the Biber Rosary Sonatas - she is fabulous - do not much about her and am not sure that I own any other recordings w/ her!  Dave  :D

Marc

3 CDs
Documents, ADD, 1974

Listening to some excerpts, it seems rather expressive and well permormed. Am I wrong?

:)

Well, if your ears are still OK .....  ;)

Lautenbacher's (2nd) recording (originally produced by VOX) is kind of a 'classic', and is merely considered a 'spiritual' reading. I must admit though that it wasn't my cup of tea. Recording too shrill, too much legato playing. But it's been some time since I listened to it. So, who knows, maybe my ears did change in the meantime! :)

prémont

3 CDs
Documents, ADD, 1974

Actually one of my favorite recordings on non period instument, but the release on Documents can not be recommended because of rather harsh sound quality. Instead the Vox CD rerelease of the same recording is preferable for sound quality.

F.I. here:
http://www.cd101.net/

She recorded the works for Beyer some years before the Vox recording, and the Vox is the better. Her Biber CDs are also very recommendable.

Some discussion of the works and among others the Lautenbacher recordings here:

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16257
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Thanks, Dave, Marc and Premont for the info. I didn't know anything about Lautenbacher, but she seems an important performer and those S & P look enticing.

BTW, I was reading the informative posts on Zero Gain, when the naked girl and her broken violin appeared there... again.  :)

Marc

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 13, 2010, 05:32:56 PM
Thanks, Dave, Marc and Premont for the info. I didn't know anything about Lautenbacher, but she seems an important performer and those S & P look enticing.

BTW, I was reading the informative posts on Zero Gain, when the naked girl and her broken violin appeared there... again.  :)
Yes, it was stolen from my hard drive by my cousin Larry, who's got sort of a personality disorder and thinx he's my twin brother. Don't pay attention to his comments! ;D

Topic duty: before going to bed, I listened to the non-VOX reissue of Lautenbacher (1st sonata & partita) at my very modest portable radio/cd/mc-recorder. There are some advantages with this machine: rather average, more wool(l)y and less sharp sound. Combined with a good working treble button I have to admit that my disliking of her playing must have been caused mainly by the harsh sound quality. So, if I were you, I'd follow Premont's advice and get the VOX-reissue.

For the recordings of non-baroque violinists that I know, I still prefer Zehetmaier and Szeryng though.

prémont

Quote from: Marc on January 14, 2010, 03:17:54 AM
Yes, it was stolen from my hard drive by my cousin Larry, who's got sort of a personality disorder and thinx he's my twin brother. Don't pay attention to his comments! ;D

Problem is, that he writes in your name. :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Vladimir

Quote from: Mandryka on July 16, 2010, 01:55:30 PM
I'm trying to get a copy of the Sonatas and Partitas recording by Christian Ferras -- but impossible to find.

If anyone sees a copy for sale, I'll be really pleased if they could let me know where!
Lovely but poor sonics even for a bootleg like this.
I have once seen its rip shared through the Russian torrent tracker now suppressed.

Mandryka

Listening today to the third sonata BWV 1005, played by Isabelle Faust

This  is a real challenge. Dry tone, pretty limited colour palate,  and the recording is cold and unfriendly. There were times when I thought she left the music behind – the fugue just seems to show no logic, no structure, no thread of argument. And the Allegro is taken so fast you can hardly hear the music in there.

The slower movements are more successful. Her style is what I think of as modernist:  not a hint of romanticism; very sparse ornamentation. Nevertheless she is subtle and quite lyrical in the Adagio  and  Largo --  I'm going to keep this CD.

Maybe the whole  performance will grow on me in time: there may be all sorts of ideas in the faster movements which have so far passed me by.

But I'm not really relishing the idea of  going back to it. Give me Ferras or Szigeti as antidote please.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Peregrine

Quote from: Mandryka on September 04, 2010, 07:45:21 AM
Listening today to the third sonata BWV 1005, played by Isabelle Faust

This  is a real challenge. Dry tone, pretty limited colour palate,  and the recording is cold and unfriendly. There were times when I thought she left the music behind – the fugue just seems to show no logic, no structure, no thread of argument. And the Allegro is taken so fast you can hardly hear the music in there.

The slower movements are more successful. Her style is what I think of as modernist:  not a hint of romanticism; very sparse ornamentation. Nevertheless she is subtle and quite lyrical in the Adagio  and  Largo --  I'm going to keep this CD.

Maybe the whole  performance will grow on me in time: there may be all sorts of ideas in the faster movements which have so far passed me by.

But I'm not really relishing the idea of  going back to it. Give me Ferras or Szigeti as antidote please.

Have you heard Edinger?
Yes, we have no bananas

Mandryka

Peregrine

I'ld say she sounds the opposite to how you describe Faust. Would class them as deep, lush, romanticised readings. Maybe too drawn out for some, but I find them very profound.

Here's a couple of samples -

http://www.mediafire.com/?15g2y57a54gkf
Yes, we have no bananas

Mandryka

Quote from: Peregrine on September 05, 2010, 02:29:57 AM
I'ld say she sounds the opposite to how you describe Faust. Would class them as deep, lush, romanticised readings. Maybe too drawn out for some, but I find them very profound.

Here's a couple of samples -

http://www.mediafire.com/?15g2y57a54gkf

Very generous samples too -- much appreciated.

So far I have listened just once to the B minor partita. I was struck by the purity of her intonation. And everything is so mellifluous -- the articulation and inflection seem to serve the melody. Tempos are sometimes a bit slower than I am used to, but that's not at all a problem. On the contrary.

Thanks for introducing me to this artist.

Peregrine

Quote from: Mandryka on September 06, 2010, 01:15:07 PM
Thanks for introducing me to this artist.

No worries. It was some tub thumping at RMCR that first piqued my interest and very pleased I am with the set too.
Yes, we have no bananas