Bug Report 2024

Started by Dungeon Master, January 27, 2024, 02:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 04:05:55 AM@Dungeon Master   What about installing one of those "Prove that you are not a bot" guards that one has to do before they can access the website?  Too expensive or complicated to set up?  And how effective are they?

Just a thought.  :)

PD

Are you volunteering to solve one of those silly puzzles every time you like a post? :)

It would certainly cut down on frivolous posting. (Are there any posts here that are not frivolous?)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 08:10:52 AMAre you volunteering to solve one of those silly puzzles every time you like a post? :)

Check all images with a crosswalk  ;D

I hate it!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on Today at 08:26:41 AMCheck all images with a crosswalk  ;D

I hate it!

Does anyone here get out enough to recognize a crosswalk? Check all boxes with a diminished seventh chord.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 08:34:36 AMDoes anyone here get out enough to recognize a crosswalk? Check all boxes with a diminished seventh chord.

Check the boxes with the best three recordings of Bax's Tintagel is more like GMG.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on Today at 08:57:53 AMCheck the boxes with the best three recordings of Bax's Tintagel is more like GMG.  ;D

That could start a war.

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 09:21:42 AMThat could start a war.

From Wikipedia, AD 3576:

The War of the Tintagels, aka the GMG Civil War, is the longest flame war in history. It started in 2024 and is still being fought today. It took the lives of 17,685,432 pages and still counting.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 08:10:52 AMAre you volunteering to solve one of those silly puzzles every time you like a post? :)

It would certainly cut down on frivolous posting. (Are there any posts here that are not frivolous?)
lol  No, what I was thinking about (and I should have stated) was that people be required to login...as in become a member in order to have access to the forum.  And have it so that one would have to prove that they were a human (so to speak) in order to register (and perhaps for subsequent logins?  That might be a bit too much though.).  Sorry, but I had thought that the unsaid part of this was obvious, but it wasn't.  :-[

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 09:44:25 AMlol  No, what I was thinking about (and I should have stated) was that people be required to login...as in become a member in order to have access to the forum.  And have it so that one would have to prove that they were a human (so to speak) in order to register (and perhaps for subsequent logins?  That might be a bit too much though.).  Sorry, but I had thought that the unsaid part of this was obvious, but it wasn't.  :-[

PD

Requiring people to be logged in to view the forum would make it difficult to attract potential new members to the site.

I wonder if the site software has features that can be activated to block this sort of thing. Refusing to accept a request from a given address until a fixed time has passed since the previous request (a second or two) would throttle it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 10:01:31 AMRequiring people to be logged in to view the forum would make it difficult to attract potential new members to the site.

I wonder if the site software has features that can be activated to block this sort of thing. Refusing to accept a request from a given address until a fixed time has passed since the previous request (a second or two) would throttle it.
Your first comment had also crossed my mind...wondering how much it might deter people.  We classical music lovers are a determined group however!  8)  ;)

Your second point is an interesting one.  Also, is there a way to block downloading of pages/topics/threads?  Would that be possible?  Just throwing out some ideas.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on Today at 08:57:53 AMCheck the boxes with the best three recordings of Bax's Tintagel is more like GMG.  ;D

I bet most of us would agree on Boult and Barbirolli.  It is the third one where the fight begins!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 10:09:08 AMYour first comment had also crossed my mind...wondering how much it might deter people.  We classical music lovers are a determined group however!  8)  ;)

Your second point is an interesting one.  Also, is there a way to block downloading of pages/topics/threads?  Would that be possible?  Just throwing out some ideas.

PD

I seem to remember on a different classical music site I would occasionally be told that I had to wait a few seconds before hitting like, or something similar.

VonStupp

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 07:17:16 AMOn the other hand, what could an malicious actor want from this site? To gain unauthorized access to our preference for Bruckner symphonies? :)

Profiling lovers of Havergal Brian perhaps? ;D
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 08:08:44 AMYes, it took me forever to like this post. :)

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot