The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 12, 2023, 12:24:54 PMI wonder if the young host was working at a college radio station? 

PD

Many moons ago, from a college radio station which played classical music, I heard the announcer say:

"And now, the Symphony #2, by Gene Cybil Leeus."    :o  ???  :D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vers la flamme

Is there a good biography/life-and-works type book of Sibelius out there?

Madiel

I had my eye on the one by Andrew Barnett but I don't THINK I've actually read it...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Scion7

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 12, 2023, 05:43:19 PMIs there a good biography/life-and-works type book of Sibelius out there?

I have these - I greatly enjoy the man's work but am not a fanatic and have not poured over these tomes in the same manner I would for, say, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, etc.  One day I suppose I need to spend a week and read them cover to cover.  ;D

Sibelius - Andrew Barnett
Sibelius: A Composers Life and the Awakening of Finland - Glenda Goss
Sibelius: Illustrated Lives of the Great Composers - David Burnett-James
Sibelius - Robert Layton

There is the New Grove entry on him, of course - fairly extensive.

I wish that R.A. Leonard had done a whole chapter on Sibelius in his authoritative book, The Stream of Music, but we just have his short entry:
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vers la flamme

Quote from: Scion7 on December 12, 2023, 07:44:52 PMI have these - I greatly enjoy the man's work but am not a fanatic and have not poured over these tomes in the same manner I would for, say, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, etc.  One day I suppose I need to spend a week and read them cover to cover.  ;D

Sibelius - Andrew Barnett
Sibelius: A Composers Life and the Awakening of Finland - Glenda Goss
Sibelius: Illustrated Lives of the Great Composers - David Burnett-James
Sibelius - Robert Layton

There is the New Grove entry on him, of course - fairly extensive.

I wish that R.A. Leonard had done a whole chapter on Sibelius in his authoritative book, The Stream of Music, but we just have his short entry:

Thanks!