Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhor

vers la flamme

Debussy died 102 years ago today. Rest in peace.

I'm listening to La Mer, the recording with Jean Martinon and the ORTF Orchestra. Great piece.

ritter

Cross-posted from the WAYLTN thread:

Quote from: ritter on April 07, 2020, 07:29:38 AM
First listen to this new arrival:

[asin]B083MVG5PD[/asin]
TBH, after reading the program notes written by Robert Orledge, I cannot get out of my head the image of him salvaging the contents of Debussy's waste paper basket, painstakingly gluing the scraps of paper together, and completing those bits that are beyond repair. And yet, there was some damn interesting stuff in that basket, and Mr. Orledge does a splendid job in his reconstructions (clearly a labour of love). He's also very straightforward about how he tackled each piece. We have first versions of well-known works (the beginning of La fille aux cheveux de lin, and Brouyères), a discarded movement from Le martyre de Saint-Sébastien, some longer stuff  (the ballet No-Ja-Li ou le palais du silence—which actually has been recorded before), and concert paraphrases of Mr. Orledge's reconstructions of the two operas based on Poe (which in themselves already required a lot of intervention by the arranger). Fortunately, all the base material stems from Debussy's maturity, so we're spared any juvenilia that would be devoid of interest if it weren't connected to the famous composer's name. On the other hand, and contrary to what the blurb on the CD's back cover states, there's no lost masterpieces here. What we do get is a rather successful (and most enjoyable) approximation of "what might have been", beautifully played by Nicolas Horváth, and most of it sounds like Debussy. Pastiche, or musicological feat? Does it really matter?
To expand to my comment above, do note that both the ballet No-Ja-Li and the Devil in the Belfry paraphrase include narration (in French). The narration is particularly intrusive in the latter piece, which seems to need it to hang together (so to speak), as this is probably the sketchiest work as far as original material is concerned ( and, to these ears, the least Debussy-like sounding).

Madiel

Who's listened to Diane au bois?

It apparently was recorded for the first time for the Warner complete set. It's a fragment of a planned stage work, but a very substantial one lasting nearly half an hour.

And after listening to it twice today, I think it's pretty fabulous, actually. Debussy started it a bit before winning the Prix de Rome, and then did some more work on it in Rome before abandoning it.

Not that I have any idea of what's being sung, and apparently Warner didn't include vocal texts for the box in any form? Which is pretty disappointing if true. But the music is quite lovely (particularly when the tenor is singing, his voice is a real pleasure to listen to). And it's pretty fascinating because it's one of the largest things Debussy had written up to that time.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

*crickets chirping*

Righto. Next question.

I've decided I'd like to try watching Pelleas and Melisande rather than just listening to it. Does anyone have recommendations about video versions? Ideally ones that are readily available on the internet (I know there are at least a couple up on Youtube for example).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Anyone done anything special with the preludes Bk 2 over the past 10 years - I mean something imaginative and provocative?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on April 11, 2021, 11:25:52 AM
Anyone done anything special with the preludes Bk 2 over the past 10 years - I mean something imaginative and provocative?

Russell Sherman has a disc from 2008 if you haven't heard it yet. I think it is both provocative and imaginative but more so in Estampes and Images than the Book 2 Preludes.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mandryka on April 11, 2021, 11:25:52 AM

Jumppanen on Ondine and Sasaki on Piano Classics are both admirable performances that are quite different in approach.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on August 19, 2020, 05:47:52 AM
*crickets chirping*

Righto. Next question.

I've decided I'd like to try watching Pelleas and Melisande rather than just listening to it. Does anyone have recommendations about video versions? Ideally ones that are readily available on the internet (I know there are at least a couple up on Youtube for example).

I'm rather late to this I know, but do check out this one from Boulez:

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 11, 2021, 07:11:18 PM
I'm rather late to this I know, but do check out this one from Boulez:

Your reminder is timely. OperaVision put up a new version of Pelleas just 2 days ago, and that means they currently have TWO up from different companies! I hadn't looked for a while.

They also have Poulenc and Ravel operas on offer. I think I need to spend a bit of time on OperaVision now...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on April 11, 2021, 08:55:18 PM
Your reminder is timely. OperaVision put up a new version of Pelleas just 2 days ago, and that means they currently have TWO up from different companies! I hadn't looked for a while.

They also have Poulenc and Ravel operas on offer. I think I need to spend a bit of time on OperaVision now...

8) I never heard of OperaVision. Is it free?

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 11, 2021, 09:54:03 PM
8) I never heard of OperaVision. Is it free?

Yes. A website and a Youtube channel, high quality video, from a variety of smaller European opera companies, performances are usually available for about 6 months each.

Old San Antone

Quote from: Madiel on April 11, 2021, 08:55:18 PM

Thanks for this, I too had never heard of OperaVision.  Now subscribed.   ;)

Another grateful GMG member.    ;D

Mandryka

Thanks for the recommendations, in fact an old one has rather caught my attention, Kars

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Quote from: Old San Antone on April 12, 2021, 12:01:53 AM
Thanks for this, I too had never heard of OperaVision.  Now subscribed.   ;)

Another grateful GMG member.    ;D

It's a really great way to become more familiar with opera. I can't remember how I found out about it, but I was quite amazed to find something completely free that offers hours and hours of material.

DavidW

Quote from: Madiel on April 11, 2021, 10:38:57 PM
Yes. A website and a Youtube channel, high quality video, from a variety of smaller European opera companies, performances are usually available for about 6 months each.

Thanks!  Subscribed!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on April 11, 2021, 10:38:57 PM

Thank you very much, Madiel. I'll have to investigate this site and see what's on it.

Symphonic Addict

What would you consider his magnum opus and why? The work that condenses the best of the composer.

Btw, happy birthday, Claude!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 22, 2021, 05:35:31 PM
What would you consider his magnum opus and why? The work that condenses the best of the composer.

Btw, happy birthday, Claude!

That is a difficult question, but I think the Préludes capture the essence of composer. The reason why is I feel this work is incredibly descriptive and conjures up aural images through just the piano and Debussy did this better than most.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 22, 2021, 07:10:10 PM
That is a difficult question, but I think the Préludes capture the essence of composer. The reason why is I feel this work is incredibly descriptive and conjures up aural images through just the piano and Debussy did this better than most.

Thank you, John. Precisely, yesterday I gave them a listen and my perception of them is different now. It's good when you don't give up trying music that you didn't consider appealing initially.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky