Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on December 02, 2022, 02:16:22 PMEven if I thought Debussy (or any music) could be played (let alone recorded) in a metaphysical manner, Henkemans is one of the last pianists I would describe as playing in such a manner.  I don't know Demus in this music, but nothing I've heard from him indicates that he plays anything in such a manner.  I've never heard Werner Haas that I can recall.

Again, people certainly approach listening to music in wildly different ways. 

You know, it basically just means the playing is slow.

You know what, I know you have listened to Debussy for decades, and I am a dilettante and I only partially listen to what is broadly called classical music. You maybe right and I may be only listening to the surface. It doesn't matter. Just a music. Thank you for your responses though.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 02, 2022, 11:25:23 AMHe's expressing something beyond the words, something sublime and exalted.

Yes.

Madiel

Words aren't "real" in the first place, though. The meaning of words is constructed.

I find it very odd to describe words, even poetry, in deliberately mundane terms just so that music can be labelled as sublime. Why aren't words sublime?

One can love music without fetishising it or putting down other art forms.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on December 02, 2022, 02:16:22 PMYou know, it basically just means the playing is slow.

I think that what happens in moments where there is a consensus that time stands still is that there is movement and stasis near or simultaneous  - the emphasis here on "think" because really I'll need more time to think about it and I could be wrong. It's something I'm interested in because in some of Ferneyhough's music there are moments where time stands still - it sort of emerges out of all the busy complexity. His string trio is an example. That's why I'm keen to explore it (I like Ferneyhough!)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Live from Wigmore Hall here. Stephen Osborne. Etudes. Being broadcast on bbc. He's about to come on. Electric atmosphere of anticipation.

Watch this space for updates.

First six done. Metaphysical moments where time stands still. Big symphonic treatment. Not sure about this .

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on December 05, 2022, 04:02:06 AMLive from Wigmore Hall here. Stephen Osborne. Etudes. Being broadcast on bbc. He's about to come on. Electric atmosphere of anticipation.

Watch this space for updates.
Thanks for telling us about this; I just turned it on (via computer).  :)

PD

Mandryka

Conclusion. Impeccable playing of course. Not much magic. I suspect the big approach isn't my style - big piano is wrong possibly (a real monster Steinway)

Now having tea in The Wallace Collection caf.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on December 05, 2022, 05:23:01 AMConclusion. Impeccable playing of course. Not much magic. I suspect the big approach isn't my style - big piano is wrong possibly (a real monster Steinway)

Now having tea in The Wallace Collection caf.
That's what I (sadly) felt too.  :( Not my cuppa tea; however, enjoy yours!  Any sandwiches, etc. to go with it?

PD

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 05, 2022, 05:46:02 AMThat's what I (sadly) felt too.  :( Not my cuppa tea; however, enjoy yours!  Any sandwiches, etc. to go with it?

PD

Banana bread.

Good you tuned in. At the end of the day I blame the piano. It's ok for Beethoven but it doesn't do Debussy any favours.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Claude Debussy Arranged for Ten-Stringed Guitar. Anders Miolin.

Not a most sophisticated performance or sharp execution. But for some reason, the music sings and shines. Sounds atmospheric and very attractive.

Irons

A ridiculous cover image of the composer, but within the CD box some excellent Debussy. Including an outstanding Preludes (both sets) played by Michel Beroff.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 01, 2022, 11:39:37 PMPresent the music as a suggestion of something ineffable which lies behind the real, rather than as a picture of the real. I've not heard the CD in question but I think Kars is quite a metaphysical Debussian.

Yes, the Kars is very good. Aura.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying Korstick's albums. Lyrical music with great rhythmic sense. Nice performance.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on December 01, 2022, 11:39:37 PMPresent the music as a suggestion of something ineffable which lies behind the real, rather than as a picture of the real.

The above strikes me as the exact opposite of her music is worldly, rather than metaphysical, which is what you purportedly tried to explain by the above. I'm greatly puzzled.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 01:01:15 PMThe above strikes me as the exact opposite of her music is worldly, rather than metaphysical, which is what you purportedly tried to explain by the above. I'm greatly puzzled.

Forgive him, people in his country don't speak English like you and I.

Madiel

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 07, 2022, 02:43:02 PMForgive him, people in his country don't speak English like you and I.

I think it's most unfortunate that you ascribe the idiosyncrasies of one very particular person to an entire nation.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Madiel on December 07, 2022, 03:28:05 PMI think it's most unfortunate that you ascribe the idiosyncrasies of one very particular person to an entire nation.

Forgive me, the education I had is not as good as yours.

George

Quote from: Todd on August 16, 2013, 08:10:14 AMGieseking's pre-war Debussy, and his smattering of post-war radio broadcast Debussy, are better than his EMI set, but that written, his EMI set is still one of the benchmark sets, at least in my estimation, plus it's a(n almost) complete set.  For me, the best Gieseking Debussy is:

Great performances for sure, though I prefer the transfers in the Great Pianist series.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Madiel

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 07, 2022, 04:05:24 PMForgive me, the education I had is not as good as yours.

What's it got to do with education?

Mandryka speaks perfect English. His ideas are weird, not his English.

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 01:01:15 PMThe above strikes me as the exact opposite of her music is worldly, rather than metaphysical, which is what you purportedly tried to explain by the above. I'm greatly puzzled.

What do you think of my "Present the music as a suggestion of something ineffable which lies behind the real, rather than as a picture of the real." as an account of what Debussy's up to in the poem/music relation in that song I mentioned,  L'ombre des arbres from Ariettes oubliées?