Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on December 07, 2022, 05:41:34 PMMandryka speaks perfect English. His ideas are weird, not his English.

Mandryka is English, that's why I took DBK's remark as a witticism and not as an insult.  ;)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on December 08, 2022, 07:49:38 AMWhat do you think of my "Present the music as a suggestion of something ineffable which lies behind the real, rather than as a picture of the real." as an account of what Debussy's up to in the poem/music relation in that song I mentioned,  L'ombre des arbres from Ariettes oubliées?

This is entirely apt, but you initially used that phrase in relation with "her music is worldly, rather than metaphysical", which is incongruous.  ;)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on December 08, 2022, 08:00:06 AMThis is entirely apt, but you initially used that phrase in relation with "her music is worldly, rather than metaphysical", which is incongruous.  ;)

Mandryka's description was a response to Todd's question "what," which could be about worldly music or metaphysical music. Mandryka just responded with the answer for the latter, and it was so obvious that nobody got confused.

If this is really a critically important issue for you, a separate thread for this matter will serve you better.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on December 08, 2022, 07:57:27 AMMandryka is English, that's why I took DBK's remark as a witticism and not as an insult.  ;)

You might know that, and I might know that, but did DBK know that? Or did he just read a signature line in a foreign language and draw conclusions?

I don't find anything witty about suggesting that the English nation don't know how to speak English.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: ritter on September 19, 2021, 07:51:56 AMSome Debussy this afternoon: Théodore Paraskivesco plays the Deux arabesques, La plus que lente, Le petit nègre, L'isle joyeuse, and the Douze études.

Even if it has never enjoyed wide circulation (it was originally released on the Calliope label, and then reissued by Indesens!—both rather niche operations), this is one of the great traversals of Debussy's complete(ish) piano music I know, with Paraskivesco achieving the perfect balance between, on one hand, a rhythmically alert and "percussive" attack, and, on the other, a full, warm, and enveloping sound, and he let's the music flow naturally (despite the rather fast tempos). His was the first recording of the two books of Images I ever heard, and it's still among my favourites.

Just discovered it, listening to the etudes, it's well worth hearing. (And I just noticed he has recorded some Fauré with Anne Marie Rodde - who's one of my favourite Debussy singers.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 18, 2022, 07:51:09 AMJust discovered it, listening to the etudes, it's well worth hearing. (And I just noticed he has recorded some Fauré with Anne Marie Rodde - who's one of my favourite Debussy singers.)

Yes, vg recording.

Mandryka

I never realised Lubimov  recored this music twice, till ten minutes ago. Sounds good, without being metaphysical.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 19, 2022, 01:33:47 PM

I never realised Lubimov  recored this music twice, till ten minutes ago. Sounds good, without being metaphysical.

Yes, vg. Spontaneous, playful, and non-commercial music. The sound of instrument is not my thing, so I guess Steinway?  ;D   Still it sounds good. I may want a little more rhythmic accentuations personally, but the performance sounds natural and excellent. Picturesque.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I think I prefer the Lubimov to the Kars, which is also very good.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Takayuki Ito: Debussy: Oeuvres pour piano, vol. 4.

Gentle interpretation with some nice hesitations and space. Good effort.

Mandryka

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pqe6u5kCLcA
https://anthonydibonaventura.com/

Anthony da Bonaventura's etudes recording is the one which I like the most, and it's been like that for a long long time. I got a wonderful new transfer of the LP for Xmas - I haven't checked the sound quality of that YouTube. I've just seen that he has quite a bit of Chopin on YouTube - so that's something to check later. One comment in the youtube

One of the best album recordings ever. 34:00 - 39:00 = probably the single greatest interpretation and recording in all of music.

though it sounds silly -- I can understand the enthusiasm.

Di Bonaventura was a music teacher in Boston. Just a handful of recordings, including Chopin, Prokofiev (which I haven't heard but is streaming), Chopin, Scarlatti, Rachmaninov and this Debussy.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on December 27, 2022, 12:30:01 AMhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pqe6u5kCLcA

Anthony da Bonaventura's etudes recording is the one which I like the most, and it's been like that for a long long time.

Except that I forgot Vedernikov this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPrNw6uPg2Q

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying the Catherine Collard album. Not a power-oriented performance. It's lyrical and impressionistic.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 27, 2022, 12:10:21 PMMET article about Katsushika Hokusai and Debussy.

https://www.metmuseum.org/blogs/now-at-the-met/2014/debussy-la-mer

Thanks for that link!  I love Japanese woodblock prints--and Debussy, so it was interesting to read.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Cassard's piano is just amazing really - I've been listening to Etudes Bk 2.

Who else has recorded Debussy on special, wonderful sounding pianos?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 27, 2022, 12:30:01 AMhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pqe6u5kCLcA

Anthony da Bonaventura's etudes recording is the one which I like the most, and it's been like that for a long long time. I got a wonderful new transfer of the LP for Xmas - I haven't checked the sound quality of that YouTube. I've just seen that he has quite a bit of Chopin on YouTube - so that's something to check later. One comment in the youtube

One of the best album recordings ever. 34:00 - 39:00 = probably the single greatest interpretation and recording in all of music.

though it sounds silly -- I can understand the enthusiasm.

Di Bonaventura was a music teacher in Boston. Just a handful of recordings, including Chopin, Prokofiev (which I haven't heard but is streaming), Chopin, Scarlatti, Rachmaninov and this Debussy.

Yes the performance sounds vivid and very good! Excellent pianist. Thank you for the post.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on December 28, 2022, 12:20:05 PM

Who else has recorded Debussy on special, wonderful sounding pianos?

Debussy on Bechstein

Answer Lubimov (ECM)
Veronique Bonnecaze

Debussy on Érard

Alexander Melnikov

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Chieko Hara - another Japanese student of Lazare Levy and Alfred Cortot in Paris.

Mandryka

There must be a book on the way Western classical music was taken up by Japanese performers and composers. One thing that's interesting is that it was all one way as far as I can see - not many western performers are playing Japanese music.