Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2018, 07:03:14 PM
This post might interest you, Peter:

Hmm, interesting viewpoints John! In a sense one can argue for both perspectives: The "complete Warner" to get exposure to more unknown pieces and the DG for the realm of excellence.  I often find it difficult to encounter recordings of the more unknown repertoire of a given composer.  Is a "poor" version of a rare piece better than none at all?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

GioCar

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2018, 06:06:04 AM
Better than Abbado and Boulez?
Neither better nor worse, just different. To be honest I don't know the Boulez but I can easily guess the Jordan rendition to be quite the opposite. What I like of the Jordan is the sense of drama, not an easy task in Pellèas. On the other way Abbado is great in "painting" the scenes. Sorry I cannot find better words. I like them both, anyway.

GioCar

Quote from: Moonfish on May 13, 2018, 07:05:18 AM
Hmm, I usually listen to Boulez's rendition, but now I definitely have to check out Jordan's!  How do you like the other performances in that box, GioCar?  Plenty of solo works.
The performances are generally fine, but the main reason for me to buy that box was its completeness. One plus of it is the great number of transcriptions/arrangements by Debussy himself and by Debussy's contemporaries which I found quite interesting to listen to.

GioCar

Quote from: Moonfish on May 13, 2018, 07:27:20 PM
Hmm, interesting viewpoints John! In a sense one can argue for both perspectives: The "complete Warner" to get exposure to more unknown pieces and the DG for the realm of excellence.  I often find it difficult to encounter recordings of the more unknown repertoire of a given composer.  Is a "poor" version of a rare piece better than none at all?
I wouldn't really speak of "poor" versions for that box. 

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 13, 2018, 07:27:20 PM

Given that the Warner set has the likes of Ciccolini, Samson Francois, Aimard, Egorov and Beroff performing piano music, Jordan, Martinon, Cluytens conducting orchestral music, Gens and Souzey as vocalists, I can't see that the Warner set takes a back seat for "excellence." For the primary works I think only the Sony set from a few years go, with Boulez and Munch doing orchestral music, really gives it a run for it.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Moonfish on May 13, 2018, 12:37:46 PM

I have the impression that the "new" DG is another reshuffling of the older DG (the new business model)?

Older DG Box

Interestingly, it isn't. (Much)

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 25, 2018, 03:37:55 AM
Latest on Forbes:

Review: Debussy vs. Debussy -
Complete Works By Warner Classics And Deutsche Grammophon Compared

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2018/03/25/review-debussy-vs-debussy-complete-works-by-warner-and-deutsche-grammophon-compared/#60a1cdcd5e60

QuoteThe DG box contains 19 + 3 CDs (three are a bonus with especially meritorious, more or less historical, recordings) and 2 DVDs and proclaims to have "at least one version of all the composer's music published in his lifetime as well as some posthumously issued juvenilia and fragmentary works". In some ways it is a repeat of DG's excellent 17 + 1 CD  "Debussy Edition" box which came out in 2012 when we celebrated the 150th anniversary of Debussy's birth. But interestingly – as we will explore in greater detail below – the new box has not just had a last few remaining omissions patched, some key contents are considerably different, too! (Which, if you are a collector, is either good news: less doubling up – or bad news: needing to get this edition, too.)

Moonfish

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 14, 2018, 04:22:36 AM
Interestingly, it isn't. (Much)

Such an excellent comparative review of these two recent Debussy collections!  You definitely put much work into the comparison, and it clearly shows. I went for the "rarities" aspect, but now realize that I yearn for some of the items in Universal's Debussy catalogue. And it is your "fault"!  >:D  Ha ha!    Hmm, it does sound as if both Warner and Universal put a lot of thought into these two celebratory compilations. Many thanks for sharing your article!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: GioCar on May 13, 2018, 08:29:23 PM
I wouldn't really speak of "poor" versions for that box.

I didn't really mean "poor" in a true sense - I think you know what I meant - more of a off the beaten track kind of recording. Is that a better word choice?  :-\
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Also, let's not forget that Sony also had another compilation back in 2012. I haven't compared - is this a skeleton of the current Warner box?

[asin] B006VKKAXU[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Warner is also releasing an additional compilation very soon (May 18 in Germany & June 8 in the US): "Debussy: His First Performers".
It looks quite interesting.

[asin] B07BYWG7RB[/asin]

It has more of an historical approach. E.g it includes Désormière's rendition of 'Pelléas et Mélisande'.

More details and sound samples (Presto):
Presto: https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8436480--debussy-his-first-performers
JPC: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/his-first-box-set/hnum/8200761

"All the artists who appear in this 10CD set, Debussy: His First Performers, were in some way pioneers in the performance of his music in the first half of the 20th century. All the recordings in this collection provide an authoritative and illuminating point of reference in our appreciation of Debussy.

The roster of performers is led by musicians who knew the composer personally, some of whom gave world premieres of his works. They also made some of the earliest recordings that feature on this set. Covering a period that extends from 1904 to 1963, Debussy: His First Performers also embraces landmark interpretations by artists, born during Debussy's lifetime, who have come to define our understanding of the composer's genius.

Among the most significant names in this collection - which covers piano, chamber and orchestral music, song and opera - are: pianists Ricardo Viñes, Alfred Cortot, Marcelle Meyer, Marguerite Long, Walter Gieseking - and Debussy himself (recordings made on piano rolls); violinist Jacques Thibaud; singers Mary Garden, Jane Bathori, Ninon Vallin, Claire Croiza (accompanied by Francis Poulenc at the piano), Maggie Teyte and Charles Panzéra; conductors Désiré-Émile Inghelbrecht, Arturo Toscanini, Pierre Monteux, Ernest Ansermet, Roger Désormière and Charles Munch."
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 14, 2018, 07:25:08 AM
Also, let's not forget that Sony also had another compilation back in 2012. I haven't compared - is this a skeleton of the current Warner box?

[asin] B006VKKAXU[/asin]

I mentioned it above. No overlap. It has mostly Boulez and Munch for the orchestral music, Crossley for a lot of the piano music, they've thrown in a few "historic" performances like Stern. Sespite not having much pretension to completeness I think it is excellent. (I have Sony and Warner.)

Moonfish

Debussy is certainly getting a fair amount of attention this decade!  :P
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 14, 2018, 07:38:32 AM
Debussy is certainly getting a fair amount of attention this decade!  :P

Indeed and, while my Debussy phase is well over, I came away with a newfound admiration for the composer. The level of consistency in his oeuvre is nothing short of astonishing.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2018, 08:19:20 AM
Indeed and, while my Debussy phase is well over, I came away with a newfound admiration for the composer. The level of consistency in his oeuvre is nothing short of astonishing.

Surely another Debussy phase will return?    ???    Or do you mean that your exploration of Debussy's works has ended? *gasp*
Anna Lappé

Mandryka

This is George Copeland playing his own transcription of Apres Midi d'un faune, I think it's better than the transcription Debussy made

https://www.youtube.com/v/Yn2FbXvsvKE
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 14, 2018, 09:32:31 AM
Surely another Debussy phase will return?    ???    Or do you mean your exploration of Debussy's works?

I'm sure I'll circle back around to the Impressionists at some point, but not right now as I'm basically on a post-WWII modernism kick again.

Mandryka

Quote from: Moonfish on May 13, 2018, 07:05:18 AM
Hmm, I usually listen to Boulez's rendition, but now I definitely have to check out Jordan's!  How do you like the other performances in that box, GioCar?  Plenty of solo works.

The one I like is Serge Baudo,
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2018, 11:52:20 AM
I'm sure I'll circle back around to the Impressionists at some point, but not right now as I'm basically on a post-WWII modernism kick again.

Well.....      ;)

Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Moonfish

Anna Lappé