Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Madiel on January 26, 2020, 01:14:47 PM
Well I'm very happy with the Bavouzet. Indeed in quite a few cases it significantly changed my appreciation of pieces.

I don't know any of the others particularly. I have a recording of Gieseking's preludes (not sure whether it would be the same recording) and couldn't ever really get past the sound quality. But plenty of people can it seems.

Hi Madiel - thanks for your comments - I like both the Bavouzet & Ogawa sets and will probably 'cull out' my couple of Giesenking's discs for the same reason, i.e. 'age of the sound' - in general, I like more modern sound and engineering - for those debating on these more recent performances, a couple of MusicWeb reviews are attached; the reviewer seems to really enjoy Noriko's piano playing, although Jed Distler gave her poorer marks for performance in ClassicsToday (but Jed seems to be disliked often in this forum - ;)) - Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 26, 2020, 11:18:16 AM
Debussy, Claude - Box Set Choices?  Slowly going through my classical CD collection and up to the 'Ds' - not listening to everything but culling out duplicates mainly and replacing some - currently for Debussy's Solo Piano Works, I have the Bavouzet 5 discs (bought as released) and the Ogawa box (replaced some of my previous discs, such as Roge & Ciccolini); also a couple CDs of Gieseking - BUT looking on Amazon today, there are a plethora of Debussy 'complete collections' in this genre; not unexpected.

Now, I do enjoy my current 'holdings' and listening to both now - but would be curious what some of the present thoughts are on the performers shown (or others not down below) regarding your favorites?  Thanks for any comments.  Dave :)

Okay, now this is a topic I know a little about. :) I think as far as complete sets go, it's difficult to beat Ciccolini. I haven't heard nor own all of the complete sets of Debussy's solo piano music. Bavouzet is a pianist who constantly gets praised, but strangely I'm left rather cold by his performances except in Ravel's concerti (how odd is that? :D). I don't know, there's just something missing --- a certain magic I suppose. Ogawa is 'okay' nothing special --- some of her tempi are bizarre like in Études for example. Rogé has never been a pianist I've flocked to. I find his performances rather bland, actually. I don't know Fergus-Thompson, Chaplin, or Rouvier. Personally, I would rather pick and choose in Debussy rather than buy complete sets. Like, I'm not sure how difficult they are to find nowadays, but Paul Jacobs' recordings are absolutely essential and a must for any Debussy collection. I also really like Kocsis (who has recorded a good bit of his music for Philips). Other favorite Debussy pianists: Michelangeli, Kodama, Sasaki, and Egorov.

T. D.

I liked Gieseking's playing but sold the set because I couldn't get over the poor sound.
Got a (used) Kocsis box set and thought it was great, but had to return it because one disc was scratched.
Currently own Bavouzet based on various rave reviews, but have been oddly unimpressed (greatly prefer Kocsis and Michelangeli in the pieces he recorded). Reading recommendations with interest.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

I've ordered the Martinon box set with Ravel and Debussy, very excited to hear it. There is still some orchestral music of Debussy that I've not heard.

SonicMan46

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 28, 2020, 02:42:52 AM
I've ordered the Martinon box set with Ravel and Debussy, very excited to hear it. There is still some orchestral music of Debussy that I've not heard.

Just re-listened to the 4 Debussy discs in the Martinon box a few days ago - excellent as I remembered (been a while since my last encore w/ these recordings) - hope that you enjoy - will listen to the Ravel later.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Just wanted to put a post just left in the 'listening thread' here concerning the Debussy & Ravel et al String Quartets - enjoy the Arcanto Quartett & Quatuor Ebene the most, and may 'cull out' the Emersons?  As stated, a crowded field, so others please post your favorites for others coming to this thread looking for advice - Dave

QuoteDebussy & Ravel - String Quartets - my current three recordings shown below - all quite good, although the Emerson SQ may be my least favorite vs. the newer recordings - of course, this is a very crowded field and I'm sure others have their own top choices - reviews attached for those interested, especially in the latter two groups.  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 28, 2020, 08:28:37 AM
Just wanted to put a post just left in the 'listening thread' here concerning the Debussy & Ravel et al String Quartets - enjoy the Arcanto Quartett & Quatuor Ebene the most, and may 'cull out' the Emersons?  As stated, a crowded field, so others please post your favorites for others coming to this thread looking for advice - Dave

You have two fine performances in both the Arcanto Quartett and Quatuor Ebene recordings. If you want to add a third (to replace the dismal Emerson), then check out Quatuor Debussy on Timpani. I'm not sure whether this recording is still in-print or not, but it deserves a special mention.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 28, 2020, 09:30:08 AM
You have two fine performances in both the Arcanto Quartett and Quatuor Ebene recordings. If you want to add a third (to replace the dismal Emerson), then check out Quatuor Debussy on Timpani. I'm not sure whether this recording is still in-print or not, but it deserves a special mention.

Thanks John - decided to 'cull out' the Emersons - the two recordings are likely enough for me although there are plenty of others, as you mention!  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 28, 2020, 10:00:32 AM
Thanks John - decided to 'cull out' the Emersons - the two recordings are likely enough for me although there are plenty of others, as you mention!  Dave

Yes, indeed. 8)

vers la flamme

I like the Keller Quartet best of those I've heard. Great performance. You can never go wrong with a Hungarian string quartet in my book.

Ratliff

The quartetto italiano is my reference recording of the Debussy and Ravel quartets.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Ratliff on January 28, 2020, 11:46:12 AM
The quartetto italiano is my reference recording of the Debussy and Ravel quartets.

You won't go far wrong with the Quartetto Italiano playing anything!!

Ratliff

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 28, 2020, 01:51:59 PM
You won't go far wrong with the Quartetto Italiano playing anything!!

No argument.

I'm struggling to remember what other recordings I've listened to. Recently it was the Leowenguth quartet, a mono recording from the big DGG Mono box. I enjoyed it quite a lot, despite the limitations imposed by the audio quality. I also have the Belcea.

San Antone

The most impressive recent Debussy/Ravel (with Faure thrown in) quartets was by Quatuor Ébène

Also, the Jerusalem Quartet in this series is very good

But my all time favorite is the Eroica Quartet on period instruments

SonicMan46

Quote from: San Antone on January 28, 2020, 02:19:15 PM
The most impressive recent Debussy/Ravel (with Faure thrown in) quartets was by Quatuor Ébène

But my all time favorite is the Eroica Quartet on period instruments

SonicMan46

Quote from: San Antone on January 28, 2020, 02:19:15 PM

But my all time favorite is the Eroica Quarteton period instruments

Thanks San Antone for the comments & recommendations - for those interested, go back to my post w/ the PDF attached - has reviews of the Quatuor Ebene & also the Arcanto Quartett, a great review.  NOW, I've not heard about the Eroica Quartet - Debussy & Ravel on gut strings? - OK I'm a BIG period instrument fan, but apparently from the review attached, the composers likely heard their string works on these instruments - the recording is available on Spotify, so I'm going to take a listen!  Dave

aukhawk

The Eroica recording of the 'original version' Mendelssohn Octet is very good indeed.

My current go-to for Debussy and Ravel is Quatuor Hermes, brash and modern, though I agree that the Quartetto Italiano is an enduring classic, and a more polite delivery.

Madiel

My impression is that there are quite a lot of good renditions of the Debussy/Ravel quartet pairing.

The only one I own is the Melos Quartet, which was a common recommendation at the time.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: aukhawk on January 29, 2020, 12:43:10 AMMy current go-to for Debussy and Ravel is Quatuor Hermes, brash and modern, though I agree that the Quartetto Italiano is an enduring classic, and a more polite delivery.

I never cared for the Quartetto Italiano's Debussy/Ravel SQ recording, but this one from Quatuor Hermès looks rather good. The Dutilleux seems to be a popular coupling for both the Debussy and Ravel these days.