Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on January 29, 2020, 01:07:27 AM
My impression is that there are quite a lot of good renditions of the Debussy/Ravel quartet pairing.

There certainly are and the discography for both SQs is staggering. I'll never collect them all, but I wouldn't really want them all either. I know you're not one that likes to duplicate works in your collection, but I strongly recommend this recording:

This is one of those 'desert island' recordings for me.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2020, 08:30:59 AM
I never cared for the Quartetto Italiano's Debussy/Ravel SQ recording, but this one from Quatuor Hermès looks rather good. The Dutilleux seems to be a popular coupling for both the Debussy and Ravel these days.

Nice to get a third SQ on these Debussy-Ravel SQ discs - Faure is probably my favorite addition but others add variety.  This morning I listened to the two sets below on Spotify and really enjoyed the Eroica Quartet over the Quartetto Italiano - interestingly, the latter group recorded these works twice, in the 1950s w/ mono sound and then in 1965 (the recording below) - the reviewer in the attachment seemed to prefer the earlier Q. Italiano recording - I've not listen to both to even offer an opinion.  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 29, 2020, 08:52:44 AM
Nice to get a third SQ on these Debussy-Ravel SQ discs - Faure is probably my favorite addition but others add variety.  This morning I listened to the two sets below on Spotify and really enjoyed the Eroica Quartet over the Quartetto Italiano - interestingly, the latter group recorded these works twice, in the 1950s w/ mono sound and then in 1965 (the recording below) - the reviewer in the attachment seemed to prefer the earlier Q. Italiano recording - I've not listen to both to even offer an opinion.  Dave

I see the Eroica Quartet's recording is only available as a download or streaming --- this is pretty disappointing.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2020, 09:01:49 AM
I see the Eroica Quartet's recording is only available as a download or streaming --- this is pretty disappointing.

Yep - noticed that the other day - the MP3 is $7 USD at Amazon USA - at Chandos, the 16-bit FLAC is about twice that amount and a well done booklet is available (see below) - purchase or just rely on using Spotify?  Dave :)

San Antone

I bought the CD, but it was a few years ago. No matter how you listen to it, the Eroica recording is a real treat. These works come alive with the gut stringed instruments.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 29, 2020, 10:01:52 AM
Yep - noticed that the other day - the MP3 is $7 USD at Amazon USA - at Chandos, the 16-bit FLAC is about twice that amount and a well done booklet is available (see below) - purchase or just rely on using Spotify?  Dave :)

Thanks, Dave. I don't do downloads or streaming as I'm still a stickler for the physical media.

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2020, 08:40:10 AM
There certainly are and the discography for both SQs is staggering. I'll never collect them all, but I wouldn't really want them all either. I know you're not one that likes to duplicate works in your collection, but I strongly recommend this recording:

This is one of those 'desert island' recordings for me.

Duly noted. The more practical outcome is likely to be keeping an eye out for that quartet in other repertoire.

I have the Faure work as well, coupled with Magnard. The name of the players currently escapes me.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aukhawk

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2020, 08:30:59 AM
I never cared for the Quartetto Italiano's Debussy/Ravel SQ recording, but this one from Quatuor Hermès looks rather good. The Dutilleux seems to be a popular coupling for both the Debussy and Ravel these days.

It just happens to fit duration-wise and nationality-wise, but I think it's stretching a point to find any real relationship between the Dutilleux and the other two.  Faure or Saint-Saens would be a more obvious fit, though really of course the whole point is that the two masterpieces by Debussy and Ravel are unique unto themselves.

Jo498

Actually, the Ravel and the Debussy are each unique, so I think it is somewhat detrimental that for 50 years or so since the LP days they have been coupled so frequently as if they somehow belonged together. It would have been better to have either equally likely coupled with Fauré or d'Indy or Berg or whatever.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

aukhawk

The modern-day advantage of downloads and ripping music to files - the old tyranny of couplings - still more, inappropriate couplings - is long gone.  My collection has three separate recordings - Debussy (Hermes), Ravel (Hermes), Dutilleux (Hermes) - and I no longer have to wake up at the end of any one of those to prevent hearing the start of another.

Herman

Quote from: Madiel on January 29, 2020, 02:55:11 PM
Duly noted. The more practical outcome is likely to be keeping an eye out for that quartet in other repertoire.

I have the Faure work as well, coupled with Magnard. The name of the players currently escapes me.

Probably the Quatuor Ysaye.

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on January 29, 2020, 02:55:11 PM

Given your interests and your commitment to non-duplication, this would probably be the one of most interest to you
[asin]B00QJLCZ2U[/asin]

This one I found worthwhile
[asin]B00A6KGDDM[/asin]

They've done the Faure Quintets with Le Sage on Alpha, and their first CD on Mirare was devoted to Haydn.  They've also done Brahms, Schubert, and Mozart

They've also done several CDs in conjunction with jazz and pop musicians, which I'll leave you to decide if you're interested in.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ratliff

Quote from: Jo498 on January 30, 2020, 08:17:33 AM
Actually, the Ravel and the Debussy are each unique, so I think it is somewhat detrimental that for 50 years or so since the LP days they have been coupled so frequently as if they somehow belonged together. It would have been better to have either equally likely coupled with Fauré or d'Indy or Berg or whatever.

In my view, they do belong together. Ravel took the form of the Debussy quartet and imbibed it with his own style. I find it interesting to contrast them.

Quote from: aukhawk on January 30, 2020, 08:24:40 AM
The modern-day advantage of downloads and ripping music to files - the old tyranny of couplings - still more, inappropriate couplings - is long gone.  My collection has three separate recordings - Debussy (Hermes), Ravel (Hermes), Dutilleux (Hermes) - and I no longer have to wake up at the end of any one of those to prevent hearing the start of another.

Tyranny of couplings? Every CD player I've had going back to 1986 had the ability to program an arbitrary sequence of tracks.

aukhawk

You still had no option but to buy a CD with (for example) Beethoven and Berg violin concertos when in all probability you'd be more interested in one of those than the  other.

This follows concert-programming practice of course, where typically the audience is subjected to an unwanted 'commission' sandwiched between two popular warhorses - but the motivation in the case of CDs is mere marketing whereas in the concert hall it's - well, I don't know what it is really.  Allegedly a leg-up for struggling young artists but I don't really buy that.

Anyhow - I just had a listen to this, via Spotify:

The Ravel I found a bit too soft-edged for my taste, moved on after the first track to the Debussy, which is an excellent alternative view to other recordings I've heard (all 4 of them).  The reflective 3rd movement in particular was a revelation, though ultimately during the finale I felt it was all just lacking a bit of forward propulsion.  Partly I suspect because the cello sounds a bit under-powered (that is, gorgeous but under-powered), it could have done with a little bit of help in the mix.

I'm cerainly glad I listened to this, thanks to this thread.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Currently greatly enjoying this CD with impressively remastered sound:

Highlights are Ravel's beautiful Shéhérazade and a very powerful and eloquent 'La Mer' to which I think Ansermet brings a special insight.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Herman

Quote from: Madiel on January 30, 2020, 12:31:40 PM
That's the one.

The same Quatuor Ysyae (now defunct: they were teaching more than they were performing) has a great live cd in the Wigmore Hall series with Stravinsky, Fauré and Debussy.

Mandryka

The Beroff is a major achievement, one of the very few sets of preludes which I enjoy these days. There's a reason - there is no attempt whatsoever to play them « hammerlessly » I think that makes the music much more thrilling. Both books.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 01, 2020, 12:39:57 AM

The Beroff is a major achievement, one of the very few sets of preludes which I enjoy these days. There's a reason - there is no attempt whatsoever to play them « hammerlessly » I think that makes the music much more thrilling. Both books.
Can you explain this a little more?

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 01, 2020, 01:31:35 AM
Can you explain this a little more?

No. Just listen -- ideally thtough a system which will let you hear all the transients in the attacks of the piano. Just playing this youtube through my computer speakers made me realise how much of the interpretation is lost without that.

https://www.youtube.com/v/SEPK-iLV2-k
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen