Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 23, 2021, 06:41:58 PM
Thank you, John. Precisely, yesterday I gave them a listen and my perception of them is different now. It's good when you don't give up trying music that you didn't consider appealing initially.

Unless it's Stockhausen, because then we can just go ahead and throw it in the garbage. :P

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2021, 07:22:36 PM
Unless it's Stockhausen, because then we can just go ahead and throw it in the garbage. :P

I can't argue with that.  :D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

I haven't quite finished my chronological exploration of all the Debussy I can lay my hands on, but my sweet spot seems to be a bit earlier than the Preludes (though I do generally like them). I find myself responding to the trios of piano pieces (like Pour le Piano, Estampes or each set of Images), and a lot of the Verlaine songs, and Nocturnes for orchestra.

I think it's rather difficult to nail one thing down as a 'magnum opus', unless you go for Pelleas in part because it was rare for Debussy to complete something on that scale?

Don't mind me, random incoherent thoughts here. It's an interesting question. I guess I feel as if having a magnum opus is the kind of grand Germanic gesture that Debussy wouldn't go in for.  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 23, 2021, 06:41:58 PM
Thank you, John. Precisely, yesterday I gave them a listen and my perception of them is different now. It's good when you don't give up trying music that you didn't consider appealing initially.
Delighted to hear that you revisited Les Préludes and enjoyed them!  :)  Whose recordings of them did you listen to by the way?

A couple favorite pieces from the two books that I particularly love:  La Fille aux Cheuveux de lin and La Cathédrale Engloutie.  Did any ones in particular strike you SA?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 24, 2021, 03:42:22 AM
Delighted to hear that you revisited Les Préludes and enjoyed them!  :)  Whose recordings of them did you listen to by the way?

A couple favorite pieces from the two books that I particularly love:  La Fille aux Cheuveux de lin and La Cathédrale Engloutie.  Did any ones in particular strike you SA?

PD

I gave the Chandos recording with Bavouzet a listen. I liked these ones the most (from book I): Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir, Minstrels, Voiles and La cathédrale engloutie.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 24, 2021, 05:56:29 PM
I gave the Chandos recording with Bavouzet a listen. I liked these ones the most (from book I): Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir, Minstrels, Voiles and La cathédrale engloutie.

Yes, the Book II is a bit more prickly isn't it? But I do enjoy it but like many I prefer Book I only because I think this is Debussy at his picturesque best.

Madiel

La cathédrale engloutie is just extraordinary.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Does anyone know if Kathryn Stott's Debussy recital on Conifer (recorded in 1987) uses some kind of historical piano? I have the cheapo Sony reissue with no documentation, and the piano has a very special color and sound, including delicate high treble.

Madiel

Various images on Discogs don't seem to give any indication of something special.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Brian on October 18, 2022, 01:20:18 PM
Does anyone know if Kathryn Stott's Debussy recital on Conifer (recorded in 1987) uses some kind of historical piano? I have the cheapo Sony reissue with no documentation, and the piano has a very special color and sound, including delicate high treble.

There's no mention of the piano in the credits on the original recording. This is in the booklet:

https://www.discogs.com/release/5327759-Debussy-Kathryn-Stott-A-Debussy-Collection

Brian

Thanks, folks. A couple online reviewers complain about poor sound, so perhaps I mistook an acoustic fault for an artistic merit. Ignorance is bliss!  0:)

staxomega

Quote from: Madiel on August 24, 2021, 09:38:55 PM
La cathédrale engloutie is just extraordinary.

It's probably my favorite piano to orchestra transcription. There is a recording from Geoffrey Simon that has more atmosphere and build up than any of Stokowski's performances.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: hvbias on October 19, 2022, 02:46:18 PM
It's probably my favorite piano to orchestra transcription. There is a recording from Geoffrey Simon that has more atmosphere and build up than any of Stokowski's performances.
I didn't know that there was an orchestral transcription.  I'll take a look at youtube to see if I can find one.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Madiel on August 24, 2021, 09:38:55 PMLa cathédrale engloutie is just extraordinary.

Quote from: hvbias on October 19, 2022, 02:46:18 PMIt's probably my favorite piano to orchestra transcription. There is a recording from Geoffrey Simon that has more atmosphere and build up than any of Stokowski's performances.

It's tremendous.

https://www.youtube.com/v/mEFuhWLenTA

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on October 18, 2022, 03:28:40 PM
Thanks, folks. A couple online reviewers complain about poor sound, so perhaps I mistook an acoustic fault for an artistic merit. Ignorance is bliss!  0:)

I looked up the Fanfare review (by John Wiser), and his only remark about the sonics is "[...] clean piano sound.  Recommended."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 19, 2022, 11:56:33 PM
I didn't know that there was an orchestral transcription.  I'll take a look at youtube to see if I can find one.

PD

The Geoffrey Simon is very good - I must admit I like all his recordings of Debussy and Ravel which include several unusual orchestrations.  BUT for the Stokowski/Sunken Cathedral alone I love the Kunzel/Cinncinnati Pops on Telarc - for sheer sonic glory!!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 27, 2022, 04:10:08 AM
The Geoffrey Simon is very good - I must admit I like all his recordings of Debussy and Ravel which include several unusual orchestrations.  BUT for the Stokowski/Sunken Cathedral alone I love the Kunzel/Cinncinnati Pops on Telarc - for sheer sonic glory!!
;D

Oh, that was fun!  I found it on youtube.  When I listened to the other recording, I wasn't really that taken with it.  Enjoyed it much more this time around.

I'll have to keep an eye out for more Telarc recordings...had forgotten how good they sound.  :)

PD

p.s.  It's here if anyone wants to listen to it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTgGSWZzHqA
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 27, 2022, 05:46:18 AM
  ;D

Oh, that was fun!  I found it on youtube.  When I listened to the other recording, I wasn't really that taken with it.  Enjoyed it much more this time around.

I'll have to keep an eye out for more Telarc recordings...had forgotten how good they sound.  :)

PD

p.s.  It's here if anyone wants to listen to it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTgGSWZzHqA

Glad you enjoyed it - the whole of that CD - a tribute to Stokowski does fit the "sonic splendo(u)r" definition - optional "u" for American colleagues  ;)

milk

Demus had a magic touch. I don't know enough to say how he compares but I do believe Demus is special.