Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legoru

I'd be glad if anyone here could help me obtain Debussu's "Le triomphe de Bacchus"

karlhenning

Quote from: DebussyMusic really ought to have been a hermetical science, enshrined in texts so hard and laborious to decipher as to discourage the herd of people who treat it as casually as they do a handkerchief!

karlhenning

Quote from: Paul RobertsWith prophetic discernment he tells Stravinsky: 'You will go further than Petrushka, of course, but you should be proud of what this work achieves.'  What came next, of course, was Le sacre du printemps.  In the summer of 1912 the two composers played through an early version for four hands at the piano (one is reminded of Debussy's formidable powers of sight-reading — he took the bass, Stravinsky the treble).  'We were dumbfounded,' wrote Louis Laloy, in whose house the event occurred, 'flattened as though by a hurricane from the roots of time.'  Debussy wrote afterwards to Stravinsky, 'your Sacre haunts me like a beautiful nightmare.'

Opus106

Claude's ghost is probably happy to see that some "modern" "art music" composers are bringing that to fruition. (That was not directed at you, of course. :)) But as a statement about music in general, that is simply balderdash, in my opinion.
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Quote from: Opus106 on March 11, 2010, 07:00:42 AM
Claude's ghost is probably happy to see that some "modern" "art music" composers are bringing that to fruition. (That was not directed at you, of course. :)) But as a statement about music in general, that is simply balderdash, in my opinion.

What I found interesting, is how certain lurvers of his music, Debussy must have dismissed as part of the herd.

Opus106

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 11, 2010, 07:06:07 AM
What I found interesting, is how certain lurvers of his music, Debussy must have dismissed as part of the herd.

I will not be surprised if that quote was intended especially for those lurvers.
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Quote from: Opus106 on March 11, 2010, 07:15:13 AM
I will not be surprised if that quote was intended especially for those lurvers.

Precisamente!

jowcol

Quote from: Opus106 on March 11, 2010, 07:00:42 AM

As I recall (and I believe the Alex Ross book makes this point) that quote from Debussy about being a hermetic science was very early in is career, and he was on the other side of the fence later on.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Opus106

Quote from: jowcol on March 12, 2010, 04:43:43 AM
As I recall (and I believe the Alex Ross book makes this point) that quote from Debussy about being a hermetic science was very early in is career, and he was on the other side of the fence later on.

That is interesting; and thanks for letting us know about it.
Regards,
Navneeth

Guido

Has anyone ever orchestrated Debussy's Trois Chansons De Bilitis? If not, I fancy it!

EDIT: obviously I mean the songs, not the piece for speaker and orchestra...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Mirror Image

I've been digging more into Debussy's output lately and have found some real gems. In the next couple of months, I'm going to be digging back into the output of Debussy, Ravel, and Faure.

Some favorite Debussy works:

Recently:

Sonata for Flute, Viola, and Harp
Sonata for Violin & Piano
Sonata for Cello & Piano
Piano Trio
Pelleas et Melisande
Rhapsody for Alto Saxophone & Orchestra
Le martye de Saint Sebastien
Fantasie for piano & orchestra

Older favorites:

Images for orchestra
La Mer
Nocturnes
Jeux
Children's Corner (both for solo piano and orchestrated)

Mirror Image

Quote from: haydnguy on February 21, 2009, 10:44:46 AM
I stuck my toe in the water with:

Jean Martinon was such a master of Debussy. I know it's been awhile since you made your post, Haydnguy, but I would love to hear how you're getting along with those recordings?

Mirror Image

What is everybody favorite's recording of Pelleas et Melisande and why?

just Jeff

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2011, 08:36:47 PM
Jean Martinon was such a master of Debussy. I know it's been awhile since you made your post, Haydnguy, but I would love to hear how you're getting along with those recordings?

I just got a hold of the original 6LP Martinon - Debussy set in Mint condition, German EMI / Electrola set of this material from 1974, it's going to sound great.  I can't imagine any digital recording topping this for sound quality.  I'm a analog vinyl lover when you get mint condition and recordings of this stature.

The Martinon - Ravel Orchestral Works set, same period recording is also stunning, and also on EMI.  The Debussy & Ravel sets are kind of like mates in some ways.
20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2011, 07:02:22 PM
What is everybody favorite's recording of Pelleas et Melisande and why?

I've only heard two recordings.  Karajan sucks because he treats Debussy as a Romantic, but Boulez doesn't and so he's my pick:

[asin]B000068UXI[/asin]

Oh wait I'm sorry I just saw you asked in January, so you probably don't care anymore...

Mirror Image

Quote from: haydnfan on April 24, 2011, 07:58:48 AM
I've only heard two recordings.  Karajan sucks because he treats Debussy as a Romantic, but Boulez doesn't and so he's my pick:

[asin]B000068UXI[/asin]

Oh wait I'm sorry I just saw you asked in January, so you probably don't care anymore...

Oh no, I care, if I ever expressed any interest in something, I still care about it. We all go through phases, but I always return to things that I was once interested in at some point or another. Thanks for the recommendation. Boulez seems like a natural choice.

karlhenning

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on December 19, 2007, 06:11:23 PM
The late piano music of Debussy have been unequaled in the piano literature ever since. Discuss.

This post is even funnier, just after making the acquaintance of the Stevenson Passacaglia on DSCH ; )

But what I meant to post was . . . one upside to the recent inflation of interest in Koechlin is, I realize that it is high time that I listen to Khamma (or is it Khâmma?) . . . I mean, a Debussy ballet of almost 20 minutes' duration, and I haven't heard it yet? I hang my head in shame . . . .

karlhenning

For that matter, I think I may never have listened to aught from Le martyre de Saint Sébastien . . . which is also on this Apex disc I'm fetching in with Khâmma.

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 25, 2011, 03:43:53 AM
But what I meant to post was . . . one upside to the recent inflation of interest in Koechlin is, I realize that it is high time that I listen to Khamma (or is it Khâmma?) . . . I mean, a Debussy ballet of almost 20 minutes' duration, and I haven't heard it yet? I hang my head in shame . . . .

Just listened to Khamma for the first time!

Who else knows it?

Mirror Image

Seriously looking forward to receiving this set in the mail...

[asin]B006O51CSY[/asin]

Some here have expressed a disinterest with Debussy orchestrations by other composers besides himself. The reality is these same people don't mind hearing Mahler's 10th completed by someone else or Elgar's Symphony No. 3 which he only left sketches for. So I say what's the big deal? I've come to accept other musicians' intentions as long as they're not self-serving. One of the greatest orchestrations of all-time, in my view, is Ravel's orchestration of Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition.

I should also say that Debussy, in fact, encouraged other musicians to orchestrate his music. That's the beauty of his music, it doesn't matter who orchestrates it, it will still sound like Debussy. Debussy through another lens? Sure, but these are still his own notes at the end of the day.