Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Anybody know the single discs from thos series? Are they really good (as opposed to just good)?

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Quote from: James on February 26, 2012, 05:23:52 AM

Int. Release 02 Apr. 2012
6 CDs

Thank you James. I had been wondering how long it would take before DG got around to this.

North Star

Quote from: James on February 26, 2012, 08:04:56 AM
I foresee others in the future, like one for Mahler ..
The Mahler seems likely
[asin]B004NO5HLG[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Quote from: North Star on February 26, 2012, 09:52:28 AM
The Mahler seems likely
[asin]B004NO5HLG[/asin]
Interesting label and release date:

Audio CD (December 31, 2020)
Number of Discs: 1
Format: Import
Label: Roc-A-Fella
ASIN: B004NO5HLG

North Star

Quote from: The new erato on February 26, 2012, 10:35:42 AM
Interesting label and release date:

Audio CD (December 31, 2020)
Format: Import
Label: Roc-A-Fella
ASIN: B004NO5HLG
;D

Hadn't seen those before, here's what it says on the UK site:
Audio CD (4 Mar 2013)
Label: Decca (UMO)

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

But why on Decca? Something's strange is going on here.

North Star

Quote from: The new erato on February 26, 2012, 10:39:22 AM
But why on Decca? Something's strange is going on here.

Well, the UK site's information isn't any better, it's just less obviously fake.

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on February 26, 2012, 02:20:52 AM
Anybody know the single discs from thos series? Are they really good (as opposed to just good)?

I haven't received the set yet, erato, but I listened to a few performances via YouTube and they're really good. Markl a dedicated, passionate Debussyian.

kentel

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2012, 05:40:08 PM
I haven't received the set yet, erato, but I listened to a few performances via YouTube and they're really good. Markl a dedicated, passionate Debussyian.

Given the fact that he has not the Berliner Philharmoniker nor the Cleveland SO at hand, this is really an impressive interpretation : neat and flowing, you hear everything and that does not sound dry. "La Mer" and "Jeux" especially are splendid, much better than Boulez actually, who did something very blurred and flabby there (and he DID have the Cleveland SO).

I also loved the idea of recording the "Pelleas & Melisande symphony" since the most interesting part of the opera is its orchestral score (the libretto is ridiculous and the soloists parts sound forced and unnatural IMO). As you do, I've nothing against the orchestrations : Koechlin, Caplet and Roger-Ducasse were brilliant orchestrators (probably even more than Debussy himself).

However, my favorite "complete orchestral Debussy" is undoubtedly Martinon's with the ORTF (Emi), and my favorite "Mer" is undoubtedly Karajan's with the BP. Markl is great, but he has not the right orchestra.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kentel on February 29, 2012, 02:40:29 PM
Given the fact that he has not the Berliner Philharmoniker nor the Cleveland SO at hand, this is really an impressive interpretation : neat and flowing, you hear everything and that does not sound dry. "La Mer" and "Jeux" especially are splendid, much better than Boulez actually, who did something very blurred and flabby there (and he DID have the Cleveland SO).

I also loved the idea of recording the "Pelleas & Melisande symphony" since the most interesting part of the opera is its orchestral score (the libretto is ridiculous and the soloists parts sound forced and unnatural IMO). As you do, I've nothing against the orchestrations : Caplet and Roger-Ducasse were brilliant orchestrators (probably even more than Debussy himself).

However, my favorite "complete orchestral Debussy" is undoubtedly Martinon with the ORTF (Emi), and my favorite "Mer" is undoubtedly Karajan's with the BP. Markl is great, but he has not the right orchestra.

I think the orchestra are right for the interpretations that Markl set forth in these recordings. I never understood the mentality that this or that orchestra was the orchestra for this or that composer. Hell, I've got a set of Shostakovich symphonies conducted by Oleg Caetani with an Italian orchestra! The orchestra doesn't matter that much to me, because a good conductor, like Markl, can get good results. I'm not looking for a replacement for Martinon, who is my favorite Debussy conductor, but I'm looking for an alternative. Boulez, for me, was an alternative, Tortelier was an alternative. For me, it's all about finding the right balance and hearing different views on the music that I love so dearly. In closing, a great conductor can make a third-tier orchestra sound magnificent.

kentel

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 29, 2012, 02:49:08 PM
I think the orchestra are right for the interpretations that Markl set forth in these recordings. I never understood the mentality that this or that orchestra was the orchestra for this or that composer. Hell, I've got a set of Shostakovich symphonies conducted by Oleg Caetani with an Italian orchestra! The orchestra doesn't matter that much to me, because a good conductor, like Markl, can get good results. I'm not looking for a replacement for Martinon, who is my favorite Debussy conductor, but I'm looking for an alternative. Boulez, for me, was an alternative, Tortelier was an alternative. For me, it's all about finding the right balance and hearing different views on the music that I love so dearly.

To me, Lyon's brass are far too weak (in La Mer that's obvious), the sound of the strings is too thin, it has no density : compare with Karajan and the BP, the richness of the bass string sections, the colours and the deepness of the orchestral textures is beyond comparison. Here I sometimes feel like I'm hearing a chamber reduction (with baroque brass instruments). Incidentally, the general shyness of the orchestra allows one to hear neatly the harp, which is quite rare.

However, I agree with your three other statements : 1- less famous orchestras can be very good (this is not, to me, the case of the Lyon NO) AND good orchestras can be disappointing (Boulez and Cleveland) 2- Martinon, yes, no question there and 3- Yes, Markl is definitely very good.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kentel on February 29, 2012, 03:01:51 PM
To me, Lyon's brass are far too weak (in La Mer that's obvious), the sound of the strings is too thin, it has no density : compare with Karajan and the BP, the richness of the bass string sections, the colours and the deepness of the orchestral textures is beyond comparison. Here I sometimes feel like I'm hearing a chamber reduction (with baroque brass instruments). Incidentally, the general shyness of the orchestra allows one to hear neatly the harp, which is quite rare.

However, I agree with your three other statements : 1- less famous orchestras can be very good (this is not, to me, the case of the Lyon NO) AND good orchestras can be disappointing (Boulez and Cleveland) 2- Martinon, yes, no question there and 3- Yes, Markl is definitely very good.

Are you French per chance?

kentel

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 29, 2012, 03:08:52 PM
Are you French per chance?

I'm Breton :)

but by necessity, and until an hypothetic secession I do have a French passport  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: kentel on February 29, 2012, 03:13:52 PM
I'm Breton :)

but by necessity, and until an hypothetic secession I do have a French passport  :D

Oh, that's awesome. Is Breton a difficult language to learn? I've read a good bit about this language. It's derived from a Celtic language correct?

kentel

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 29, 2012, 03:21:51 PM
Oh, that's awesome. Is Breton a difficult language to learn? I've read a good bit about this language. It's derived a Celtic language correct?

Correct  :).  I wouldn't say "difficult", but certainly very different from what people are used to.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kentel on February 29, 2012, 03:28:42 PM
Correct  :).  I wouldn't say "difficult", but certainly very different from what people are used to.

Do the Breton people feel any kind of connection with the rest of France or is it a case like Quebec and the rest of Canada?

kentel

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 29, 2012, 03:32:32 PM
Do the Breton people feel any kind of connection with the rest of France or is it a case like Quebec and the rest of Canada?

That's a quite complicated matter (maybe we could open a new thread in the back room to discuss this topic ?)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kentel on March 01, 2012, 02:34:16 AM
That's a quite complicated matter (maybe we could open a new thread in the back room to discuss this topic ?)

Yeah, I shouldn't derail this thread any further...

Back to Debussy! :D

kentel

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 01, 2012, 06:55:37 AM
Yeah, I shouldn't derail this thread any further...

Back to Debussy! :D

I posted an answer in the back room.