Debussy's Corner

Started by Kullervo, December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

John, I want the story on how there's a Pelléas et Mélisande Symphonie . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on March 02, 2012, 05:38:46 AM
John, I want the story on how there's a Pelléas et Mélisande Symphonie . . . .

I'll have to read up on it in the booklet, Karl, but there might be some information here:

http://www.amazon.com/Debussy-Nocturnes-Pelleas-Melisande-Symphonie/dp/B001HBX8VO/ref=sr_1_8?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330703294&sr=1-8

Karl Henning

Hm, thanks, John. Seems like it's just the orchestral interludes strung together.  Interesting that (FWIW) Hurwitz doesn't seem to think much of Märkl with Debussy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on March 02, 2012, 07:25:53 AM
Hm, thanks, John. Seems like it's just the orchestral interludes strung together.  Interesting that (FWIW) Hurwitz doesn't seem to think much of Märkl with Debussy.

No problem, Karl. Yeah, Hurwitz doesn't think too much of Markl's Debussy series, but his opinion isn't the only one. As I have said before (somewhere), Markl will not replace Martinon or Boulez for me, but it's so nice to have such a comprehensive set in my possession. This said, I do think Markl is a good conductor.

Karl Henning

Oh, I've differed with Hurwitz more than once, myself.

I could see such a "symphony" of the orchestral interludes for concert programming purposes, but I wouldn't beat a path to own a disc with it. (YMMV, of course.)  I could probably program a playlist from one of the recordings I have of the opera, and experience it in that wise . . . .

The thought of orchestrating piano études strikes me as . . . profoundly eccentric. Fair disclosure:  I'm not crazy about the orchestration of Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit, either.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on March 02, 2012, 07:50:52 AM
Oh, I've differed with Hurwitz more than once, myself.

I could see such a "symphony" of the orchestral interludes for concert programming purposes, but I wouldn't beat a path to own a disc with it. (YMMV, of course.)  I could probably program a playlist from one of the recordings I have of the opera, and experience it in that wise . . . .

The thought of orchestrating piano études strikes me as . . . profoundly eccentric. Fair disclosure:  I'm not crazy about the orchestration of Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit, either.

It certainly is an intriguing arrangement. I own two recordings: Abbado on DG and Boulez on Sony. They're both quite good. Abbado recorded the Pelleas et Melisande Suite (arr. Leinsdorf), but I do not own this recording. I did enjoy this arrangement on Naxos though. Is it something I'm going to listen to very often? No, probably not.

madaboutmahler

I finally feel qualified to join in this thread! :D

Recently, I have been exploring this brilliant set of the Debussy orchestral works, as you may have seen on the listening thread. I have enjoyed every second of it, it was my first proper exploration into the work of this incredible composer. And, gosh... the performances... :o Simply divine! I doubt they can get much better than these...
[asin]B000BL99UK[/asin]

La Mer and the Prelude of course, with the Nocturnes (Fetes is so brilliant!) and Images were obviously amazing. But, also one of the pieces I really really came to adore was Printemps, absolutely beautiful! La Boite a joujoux was certainly an interesting, amusing work, though with many moments of absolute beauty. The Children's Corner Suite orchestration was charming, what a delightful piece! What a great work Khamma is too, many thrilling moments. The Rapsodie for Saxophone and Orchestra is so brilliant, absolutely love this piece. You may have seen my post expressing my happiness about playing in the orchestra for a concert performance of it not so long ago. Was great fun! The Fantasie pour piano et orchestre was absolutely gorgeous, a beautiful work. I really enjoyed the two shorter concerti works too, the harp pieces, and also the cimbalon piece, what a great instrument! And the Tarantelle styrienne.. what a brilliant way to end of the set! Highly enjoyable music.

So Debussy is now a definite favourite of mine, I shall definitely be keen to hear more recordings and pieces, although this Martinon set I can imagine being very hard to beat!
Thank you so very much again to John for very kindly giving me this set!  :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Daniel, the real question now remaining is: are you madaboutdebussy? ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on March 29, 2012, 01:06:30 PM
Daniel, the real question now remaining is: are you madaboutdebussy? ; )

I suppose I am, Karl! ;)

If I had to give a top 5 favourite composers list right now, it would probably be Mahler, R.Strauss, Elgar, Debussy and Prokofiev. I'm really madadboutmahler, madaboutstrauss, madaboutelgar, madaboutdebussy, madaboutprokofiev... I think I'm just generally mad.  ;D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Bonkers, but agreeable : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 29, 2012, 01:04:02 PM
I finally feel qualified to join in this thread! :D

Recently, I have been exploring this brilliant set of the Debussy orchestral works, as you may have seen on the listening thread. I have enjoyed every second of it, it was my first proper exploration into the work of this incredible composer. And, gosh... the performances... :o Simply divine! I doubt they can get much better than these...
[asin]B000BL99UK[/asin]

La Mer and the Prelude of course, with the Nocturnes (Fetes is so brilliant!) and Images were obviously amazing. But, also one of the pieces I really really came to adore was Printemps, absolutely beautiful! La Boite a joujoux was certainly an interesting, amusing work, though with many moments of absolute beauty. The Children's Corner Suite orchestration was charming, what a delightful piece! What a great work Khamma is too, many thrilling moments. The Rapsodie for Saxophone and Orchestra is so brilliant, absolutely love this piece. You may have seen my post expressing my happiness about playing in the orchestra for a concert performance of it not so long ago. Was great fun! The Fantasie pour piano et orchestre was absolutely gorgeous, a beautiful work. I really enjoyed the two shorter concerti works too, the harp pieces, and also the cimbalon piece, what a great instrument! And the Tarantelle styrienne.. what a brilliant way to end of the set! Highly enjoyable music.

So Debussy is now a definite favourite of mine, I shall definitely be keen to hear more recordings and pieces, although this Martinon set I can imagine being very hard to beat!
Thank you so very much again to John for very kindly giving me this set!  :)

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the music, Daniel. Debussy is definitely in my top 10 favorite composers no doubt. I would say that the Boulez Debussy recordings or the Nash Ensemble set of Debussy/Ravel chamber works would be in order next.

Edit: Check these recordings out sometime:

[asin]B000002C00[/asin]

[asin]B00000632A[/asin]

Unfortunately, this Nash Ensemble two CD set is out-of-print, but you should be able to find it used on Amazon MP. It's definitely worth the trouble to find it because the performances are just exquisite.

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2012, 01:55:33 PM
Unfortunately, this Nash Ensemble two CD set is out-of-print, but you should be able to find it used on Amazon MP. It's definitely worth the trouble to find it because the performances are just exquisite.
It's included here:
[asin]B005AAVFIG[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on March 29, 2012, 01:46:56 PM
Bonkers, but agreeable : )

:D

Thank you John and Karlo. I shall make sure to pick these up at some point!

Or considering the Boulez orchestral music recordings, would it be a better idea to wait for the DG Debussy/Ravel box set which is coming out in April? This is a set I would certainly want to own, I have been wanting many of these performances for ages!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

North Star

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 30, 2012, 07:00:36 AM

Or considering the Boulez orchestral music recordings, would it be a better idea to wait for the DG Debussy/Ravel box set which is coming out in April? This is a set I would certainly want to own, I have been wanting many of these performances for ages!

If you can wait 2 days  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 30, 2012, 07:00:36 AM

Well, for me, I like urgency of Boulez's earlier recordings more than I do his later ones, but he still made some fine recordings for DG. It's really up to you. I still think Debussy's chamber music is essential listening for anyone interested in the composer.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2012, 08:00:10 AM
Well, for me, I like urgency of Boulez's earlier recordings more than I do his later ones, but he still made some fine recordings for DG. It's really up to you. I still think Debussy's chamber music is essential listening for anyone interested in the composer.

Ok, thank you John! I certainly would want the Boulez DG Ravel recordings at some point though.

Quote from: North Star on March 30, 2012, 07:54:40 AM
If you can wait 2 days  8)

hmmmm... ;)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Writing something on this thread is dutiful as this year is the 150th anniversary of Debussy' birth....

I've already mentioned that on Ravel's thread....Claude Debussy in one of my absolute favourite french composer, along with Hector Berlioz and, of course, Maurice Ravel.
His music has always impressed me very much, it's incredibly beautiful and evocative, incredibly poetical and powerfully emotional; like Wagner, he seems to express a sort of continuous melody in his compositions, extremely enchanting, less locked up to the harmonic tonality, but equally moving and impressive. Moreover, it shows a colourful orchestration, a brilliant chromaticism and great harmonies rich of shades, with chord progressions often using dissonances without resolution, absolutely wonderful.
La Mer is one of my favourite Debussy' works, so striking with its ethereal, expressive melodies depicting the sea. Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune is another favourite work of mine, very charming, with amazing chromatic descents and ascents. Though, Nocturnes and Printemps are certainly beautiful as well.
About the piano music, I particularly appreciate Clair de lune, Préludes, Images, Valse Romantique and Children's Corner.

Karajan made some of the most impressive recordings of Debussy' pieces I've ever heard, as well as Martinon. :D

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Another very beautiful description, Ilaria! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

mc ukrneal

A remarkable number of multi-disc sets coming out this month (not to mention a number of single and double dics releases):
Debussy/Ravel Boulez (DG, 6 discs)
Debussy Complete Piano Gieseking (EMI, 4 discs - SACD)
Debussy Piano Edition (Decca, 6 discs)
Debussy Samson Francois (EMI, 3 discs)
The Debussy Edition (DG, 18 discs)
The Dubssuy Edition Pascual Roge (Onyx, 5 discs)
Debussy, The Piano Works. Philippe Cassard (Decca, 4 discs)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!