Russian pianist school and big sound

Started by mikkeljs, December 24, 2007, 06:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkeljs

Thiese two things seems to be connected.

Since I´m a pianist, of cause I´m a fan of systematical enlargement of the technique rather than enlargment only by need . But I have always liked better to listen to a performance by a bit colder and calmer sounding pianist than the ones with a great and big sound. I don´t know, if I´m right, but when I have listened to pianist compertitions, it often seems to be the pianists with the more cold sound, that have the greatest precision and musicality, and they perform a very mature and finished work of art, than the "russians" (sorry  ;D).

Others in here that feel the same way? 

I was wondering a lot, especially because I have to use the experience directly, if perhabs the sounding potential of a piano is growing exponentially with the degree of loudness, so that the greatest part of the sound spectrum is between pp and mp, and not between p and fff...? What do you think about that?

Or is the tendency of better pianists among the cold pianists a question about control difficulty with the bigger sound?   

springrite

I am not sure if Russian and Big Sound necessarily go hand in hand. Richter certainly has the big Sound. But he also has one of the most delicate pianissimmo.

mikkeljs

Quote from: springrite on December 24, 2007, 06:58:42 AM
I am not sure if Russian and Big Sound necessarily go hand in hand. Richter certainly has the big Sound. But he also has one of the most delicate pianissimmo.

I know. It´s just a dogma of it.

Holden

Quote from: mikkeljs on December 24, 2007, 07:01:50 AM
I know. It´s just a dogma of it.

Gilels is another case in point. He certainly had a sound that could fill a concert hall yet there was nothing bombastic about his playing. His performance of K365 is evidence of this. Interesting that both Richter and Gilels had the same teacher - Heinrich Neuhaus.
Cheers

Holden

orbital

Quote from: mikkeljs on December 24, 2007, 06:54:38 AM
Thiese two things seems to be connected.

Since I´m a pianist, of cause I´m a fan of systematical enlargement of the technique rather than enlargment only by need . But I have always liked better to listen to a performance by a bit colder and calmer sounding pianist than the ones with a great and big sound. I don´t know, if I´m right, but when I have listened to pianist compertitions, it often seems to be the pianists with the more cold sound, that have the greatest precision and musicality, and they perform a very mature and finished work of art, than the "russians" (sorry  ;D).

Others in here that feel the same way? 

I was wondering a lot, especially because I have to use the experience directly, if perhabs the sounding potential of a piano is growing exponentially with the degree of loudness, so that the greatest part of the sound spectrum is between pp and mp, and not between p and fff...? What do you think about that?

Or is the tendency of better pianists among the cold pianists a question about control difficulty with the bigger sound?   
I am with you on this (well, sort of). I've noticed that most of my favorite pianists have a cooler approach towards music (Michelangeli, Francois, Sofronitsky, etc). That does not always have to be subtle sound though (Weissenberg is a good case in point  >:D )

sidoze

Quote from: Holden on December 24, 2007, 11:31:20 AM
Interesting that both Richter and Gilels had the same teacher - Heinrich Neuhaus.

I would say it's more a coincidence than anything. After all Igor Zhukov studied with Neuhaus too, and he probably had the biggest piano sound of all.

By the way, Michelangeli had a blazing hot approach if you hear his recordings from the '50s.