Opera Cats

Started by Sarastro, December 22, 2007, 10:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarastro

knight66

I think there is only one there that stumps me; they are good fun.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Wendell_E

Quote from: knight on February 23, 2008, 11:03:39 AM
I think there is only one there that stumps me; they are good fun.

Mike

I don't know about Mike, but this one stumps me:

Quote from: Sarastro on February 23, 2008, 10:35:09 AM

As for the rest (in a small font so as not to spoil anyone else's fun):

02:34:43 PM Figaro
02:34:58 PM Mewsetta in Bohème
02:35:25 PM Così fan tutte
02:35:37 PM Don Giovanni
02:35:52 PM Fledermaus
02:36:03 PM Lucia di Lammermoor
02:36:14 PM Rigoletto
02:36:25 PM Traviata
02:36:36 PM Tristan und Isolde
02:36:55 PM Turandot
02:37:04 PM Die Walküre
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Sarastro

Cavalleria rusticana

uffeviking

No way! Lola was already married and Santuzza was pregnant. They don't accept them as nuns in  that condition!  :'(

Sarastro

Quote from: uffeviking on February 23, 2008, 07:56:07 PM
No way! Lola was already married and Santuzza was pregnant. They don't accept them as nuns in  that condition!  :'(

This is just a white dress with black corset and mantle. And a Sicilian shawl on the head, as she is in church. :)

Brian

Brian

uffeviking

Let's wait 'till the night shift comes on, maybe they will identify it. Maybe using the elimination process we can solve it.

Sarastro, sorry to disagree with you, but it definitely is not Cavalleria; the woman following the priest is getting married with bridesmaid and witnesses behind her. And the kneeling one does wear a nun's habit. If I knew La Giaconda maybe I could agree with a friend of mine who is working on this too, off GMG, and he claims to know every opera ever written!

Sarastro

First, sorry for disappearance of the images, there are some problems with the server, next tume I would upload them somewhere else. >:(

Quote from: uffeviking on February 23, 2008, 09:32:11 PM
the woman following the priest is getting married with bridesmaid and witnesses behind her. And the kneeling one does wear a nun's habit. If I knew La Giaconda maybe I could agree with a friend of mine who is working on this too, off GMG, and he claims to know every opera ever written!

Let us discuss then. If it is a marriage, why is the bride in light-blue, bridesmaid is in red, and they both in the same-fashion shawls? And they are following the priest... I do not know such a wedding tradition. And I don't remember any marriage in La Gioconda, but I haven't seen it, only audio recordings, maybe I missed that in synopsis.

Sarastro, sorry to disagree with you, but it definitely is not Cavalleria

Well, the artist who created this illustration intended to picture the Easter sacred procession scene from the opera and named the piece "Cavalleria rusticana," I have nothing to do with it!! ;D So this is not my baseless guess, but I took it from the official web-site.
Look for Susan Herbert, she did also a lot of other cats: Shakespeare's Cats, Medieval Cats, Cats from Movies, Cats in Impressionism, etc.
For instance, here:

Sarastro

knight66

Lis, I would have thought that Sarastro would be right; as he has now explained, he is using the artist's designations for the pictures.

I won't get all smart with my titles this time...here are my suggestions. It was the first one that stumped me as there seem to be few visual clues. However, here goes.
Barber of Seville. (We once had a cat called Figaro)
Boheme
Cav
Cosi
Julius Caesar, or Mozart's Tito
Fledermaus
Lucia
Rigoletto
Traviata
Tristan
Turandot
Walkure.

Mike

Wendell_E

Quote from: Sarastro on February 23, 2008, 08:26:29 PM
This is just a white dress with black corset and mantle. And a Sicilian shawl on the head, as she is in church. :)

Well, actually she never enters the church, since she's been excommunicated.  It's a procession outside the church.  Now that you've told us, Cavalleria Rusticana does seem to be a sensible answer, though with the white, it does look an awfully lot like a nun's habit.  Here are some pictures from the Met's current production, with Santuzza all in black:

http://66.187.153.86/Imgs/CavPag0607.htm

Mike's list agrees with mine, except for "Julius Caesar, or Mozart's Tito", which I believe is Don Giovanni and the Commendatore's statue.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

knight66

Quote from: Wendell_E on February 24, 2008, 02:58:54 AM

Mike's list agrees with mine, except for "Julius Caesar, or Mozart's Tito", which I believe is Don Giovanni and the Commendatore's statue.

Oh yes, that's a good idea. I would not have thought of that one. I was not sure it was a statue, but it may well be.

Mike

Sarastro

Quote from: Wendell_E on February 24, 2008, 02:58:54 AM
Well, actually she never enters the church, since she's been excommunicated.  It's a procession outside the church. 

You are right, she is not in the church in the meaning of "building," it seems to me that I used the wrong expression; a pernicious habit to translate some idioms from Russian, I must have said "in faith,"(?) if it fits, or maybe simply "Christian." I just tried to say that she covered her head with a shawl because it is a tradition for the religious, not a nun's habit here.

Anyway, I didn't picture it, and have no idea why Susan Herbert used black-and-white palette. :)

Brian

Let's wait 'till the night shift comes on, maybe they will identify it. Maybe using the elimination process we can solve it.

Sarastro, sorry to disagree with you, but it definitely is not Cavalleria; the woman following the priest is getting married with bridesmaid and witnesses behind her. And the kneeling one does wear a nun's habit. If I knew La Giaconda maybe I could agree with a friend of mine who is working on this too, off GMG, and he claims to know every opera ever written!
For the record, the only reason I picked Gioconda was because of this video...

uffeviking

All the cats identified and even the non-believer uffeviking has been convinced that the artist really had in mind Santuzza!

Thank you, Sarastro for posting those and also for your patience!  :-*

(poco) Sforzando

Without looking at anyone's guesses, here are mine:

1. Brunnhilde
2. Butterfly
3. Macbeth
4. Magic Flute (queen of night)
5. Onegin
6. Rheingold (scene 3)
7. Fidelio
8. Otello
9. Traviata
10. Rigoletto
11. Aida
12. Romeo and Julicat
13. Toscat
14. Turandot
15. Nozze di Figaro
16. Magic Flute (3 ladies and Tamino)
17. Meistersinger
18. Boris
19. Rosenkatalier
20. Rheingold (Freia and giants)
21. Boheme
22. Siegfried
23. Don G. and Zerlina (but a black Leporello? - probably wrong)
24. Catmen
25. Walkuere
26. looks like King Lear and his fool, though there's no standard opera of that name
27. reply 30: ?
28. reply 48: Pagliacci
29. reply 49: ?
30. reply 50: Manon or Manon Lescaut
31. reply 51: Cavalleria maybe, but Santuzza in a nun's habit looks all wrong
32. reply 52: Cosi
33. reply 53: Don Giovanni
34. reply 54: Fledermaus
35. reply 55: Lady Macbeth
36: reply 56: Lucia
37: reply 57: Traviata party scene
38: reply 58: Tristan