Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2 & Scriabin Fantasie Op. 28

Started by Zhiliang, December 27, 2007, 08:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhiliang

Hi,

I need help in some recommendations of great recordings for these 2 pieces.

1. Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2 - I already have Li Yundi and Ashkenazy's recordings.

2. Scriabin Fantasie Op. 28 -  I already have Melnikov's recording.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Zhiliang

MichaelRabin

not edward

I think most recordings of the Prokofiev don't dig particularly deep. The two I've heard that do are Baloghova (with Ancerl and the Czech Philharmonic) and Browning (with Leinsdorf and the Boston Symphony).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

BorisG

Quote from: Zhiliang on December 27, 2007, 08:46:07 AM
Hi,

I need help in some recommendations of great recordings for these 2 pieces.

1. Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2 - I already have Li Yundi and Ashkenazy's recordings.

2. Scriabin Fantasie Op. 28 -  I already have Melnikov's recording.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Zhiliang

Demidenko, Paik, for Prokofiev.
For Scriabin, Richter, Sofronitsky, Berman, Hamelin, and Glemser. Glemser is the surprising darkhorse here, so do not spend a lot of money on the others.

sidoze

Quote from: edward on December 27, 2007, 02:49:17 PM
I think most recordings of the Prokofiev don't dig particularly deep. The two I've heard that do are Baloghova (with Ancerl and the Czech Philharmonic) and Browning (with Leinsdorf and the Boston Symphony).

That is my feeling too, and I also think your choices are among the best. Demidenko is very good too, but compared to his last minute appearance--in place of the perennially elusive Volodos--at the RFH a few years ago, I can't listen to the recording without wishing for the live one again. Speaking of Volodos, he might be my first choice -- bootlegs exist, I have one somewhere (not sure where!). Also love the radio recording of Ugorski and his exceptionally introspective coda.

Why are people mentioning Paik?  ???

Daverz

bassio

I guess this one here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exIpzxq-2_I
will put an end to all.

But, alas, where does one find this particular recording. I guess it was (and will) never be published.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: bassio on December 29, 2007, 04:37:32 PM
But, alas, where does one find this particular recording. I guess it was (and will) never be published.

Don't know if this is the same as the Youtube, but look here.

I have the set and enjoy it very much.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Moldyoldie

The Prokofiev No. 2 is a personal favorite, I love the two recordings I have:

Gutiérrez/Järvi/RCO/Chandos
Paik/Wit/PNRSO/Naxos
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

sidoze

I bought the El Bacha set the day it came out -- was very excited given how he played at the QEC all those years ago. Unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations. It's a good set, played well, but honestly there's nothing to distinguish it either in subtlety, insight or virtuosity. I remember that Arrau predicted a great career for this pianist but so far he hasn't quite lived up to it (his Chopin is better than the Prokofiev IMO, but same applies).

The QEC YouTube performance quoted above is available in the big 10 or 15 CD box of the competition. Not sure where to buy it though.

QuoteHas anyone heard Henriot-Schweitzer/Munch?

never heard of the pianist

Zhiliang

Quote from: moldyoldie on December 30, 2007, 03:29:15 AM
The Prokofiev No. 2 is a personal favorite, I love the two recordings I have:

Gutiérrez/Järvi/RCO/Chandos
Paik/Wit/PNRSO/Naxos

How was the Gutiérrez's version? I heard good things about it.

Don

Quote from: sidoze on December 30, 2007, 03:54:03 AM
I bought the El Bacha set the day it came out -- was very excited given how he played at the QEC all those years ago. Unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations.

Why the high expectations?  If I remember right, I have some Schumann and Chopin by the man, and he wasn't very inspiring.

sidoze

Quote from: Don on December 30, 2007, 07:05:53 AM
Why the high expectations?  If I remember right, I have some Schumann and Chopin by the man, and he wasn't very inspiring.

I agree about the not inspiring part, but the Youtube video of the Prokofiev PC 2 above--which I think earned him first prize at the QEC--is a very strong performance for someone just 19 (or so). Years ago he also earned an award for an all-Prokofiev recording of early pieces. So I was expecting more from his new complete recording of the PCs. It's good, just not what I was hoping for (something a bit bolder).

As for the Scriabin, Sofronitsky plays this on a 2 CD Denon set from Japan (which I think is on Vista Vera now).

Moldyoldie

Quote from: Zhiliang on December 30, 2007, 06:44:37 AM
How was the Gutiérrez's version? I heard good things about it.
Absolute dynamite!   Gutiérrez and Järvi make a helluva team here with one of the world's great orchestras, all captured in an outstandingly vibrant digital soundscape.
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

Drasko

Quote from: Daverz on December 28, 2007, 11:55:39 AM
Has anyone heard Henriot-Schweitzer/Munch?

Quote from: sidoze on December 30, 2007, 03:54:03 AM
never heard of the pianist

That is curious one, she made few concerto recordings (Prokofiev 2nd, Ravel G-major, d'Indy) while at the same time I never heard of any solo recordings. All concerto recordings are with Munch and wikipedia says she was his niece (some other gossipy site claims she was his 'niece').
Anyhow, Ravel's G-major is currently available from Rolf's:

http://homepages.ipact.nl/~otterhouse/

greg

Quote from: Manuel on January 03, 2008, 06:26:39 AM
And this one puts and end to yours.

http://www.youtube.com/v/VjJQovEQSxM
wtf that's awful

QuoteI guess this one here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exIpzxq-2_I will put an end to all.
man, that performance just gave me chills
would it be wrong if i clapped for him in my room?....

bhodges

Quote from: moldyoldie on December 31, 2007, 05:49:46 AM
Absolute dynamite!   Gutiérrez and Järvi make a helluva team here with one of the world's great orchestras, all captured in an outstandingly vibrant digital soundscape.

Just as an aside, I have the CD from the same cycle of Gutiérrez in the Prokofiev Third, and it's fantastic.

--Bruce

bassio

No greg it won't be wrong to clap  ;D

Thanks for the other video Manuel. So this is Toradze?!! This is the first time I see him. I haven't listened to his set.

The discontinuation before the reprise is an anti-climactic destruction of the momentary partial release of tension (accompanied with the momentary switch to suspense and anticipation) that will be further heightened to absolute horror when the orchestra makes its re-entrance.

His softer treatment at the beginning too is not my style.

He has some nice ideas though. But his version relays more Confusion. But I don't feel it as confusion here. This is absolute despair of a man .. approaching insanity .. (before being delivered to the deepest pits of hell).
Of course there are other parts of this concerto that certainly expresses "confusion" but not this particular section.  ;)

But it does not beat Abdel Rahman El Bacha's version I posted above in my opinion of course. His version is intriguing indeed .. and not to mention technically superb. There is another Berezovsky version on youtube take a look at it, but it is less interesting and also full of mistakes, when compared to El Bacha.

It appears that E Bacha's recording in this competition has been committed to disc and can be found on amazon.