Nikolaus Harnoncourt

Started by PerfectWagnerite, December 28, 2007, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Thanks; I'll have to seek out the Biber and the Vivaldi (one of few works that I don't think I can have too many recordings of).

Jo498

I forgot the 4 seasons. This holds up very well despite dozens of other recordings. Back then it must have been the first where one could really hear the dog bark (and there are several later HIP recordings much smoother where one does not hear any dogs...)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

j winter

I think I'm going to order this, just based on Sarge's description of the Mozart Requiem earlier in the thread...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

TheGSMoeller

I recently came across this Schubert symphony cycle with the COE. I had no idea that Harnoncourt recorded this, which would be the third along the RCO and Berlin Phil. which I adore both cycles. Should be arriving soon!

Mandryka

Harnoncourt recorded K 491 with Lang Lang towards the end of his life, I did not enjoy it. But Lang Lang continued to play the concerto with other conductors and the result is some of the most satisfying and performances of it I know. There used to be several on youtube, ones with Manfred Honeck were specially good.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Jo498

Note that the sacred choral box are all "late" recordings and Harnoncourt had recorded the pieces by Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven's op.123 before. I cannot comment on the relative merits as the only of the box I know is the "Creation" (very good, probably better than the old Teldec Vienna Symphony recording, I had heard the "Seasons" in the old recording and don't think it is among his best).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal