Hello!

Started by Shrunk, April 22, 2007, 12:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrunk

Having lurked here for a while, I'd like to introduce myself.  I'm 42 years old, live in Toronto, Canada, and am a relative newcomer to classical music, being mainly into jazz, rock, blues, hip hop, "world" etc. previously.  I haven't given up those interests, but in the past couple years I've been diving into the classical tradition with a passion, and buying records as fast as I can listen to them.  And when I say "records", I mean just that, the LP being my preferred medium, though of course for recent releases I'll make do with CD's. ;)

Anyway, the level of knowledge on this group seems pretty deep, so I imagine I'll mostly be lurking for the time being, but I hope to be able to make some contribution whenever I can.

Harry

You are most welcome. Beginner or not, try to participate in discussions, that way you learn a lot. :)

Maciek

Welcome!

Do tell us a little more about your likes/dislikes. Any favorite record(s)?

Cheers,
Maciek

SonicMan46

Quote from: Shrunk on April 22, 2007, 12:38:06 PM
Having lurked here for a while, I'd like to introduce myself.  I'm 42 years old, live in Toronto, Canada, and am a relative newcomer to classical music, being mainly into jazz, rock, blues, hip hop, "world" etc. previously. .....

Shrunk - welcome to the GMG Forum - wife & I love Toronto (need to get back to that city!) - plenty here to interest you - there is a 'non-classical musical thread' that you should feel comfortable in posting; hope to see you responding & posting in the near future!  :)

Hollywood

Howdy and welcome to the forum Shrunk.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

knight66

Welcome, I hope you dive right in and enjoy yourself.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Shrunk

Quote from: MrOsa on April 22, 2007, 01:38:11 PM

Do tell us a little more about your likes/dislikes. Any favorite record(s)?

Well, some of my favourite records just off the top of my head (I make no promise that the list would be the same tomorrow!):

Machaut:  Messe de Notre Dame, Hilliard Ensemble
Bach: Goldberg variations, Gould (1955)
Bach: Cello sonatas, Rostropovich
Bach: St. Matthew Passion, Gardiner
Mozart: Don Giovanni, Giulini
Mozart:  Piano concerto's 23 & 24, Curzon/LSO/Kertesz
Beethoven: Symphony #3, PhilharmoniaO/Klemperer (mono)
Beethoven:  Cello sonatas, Richter/Rostropovich
Schubert:  Impromptus for piano, Brendel (Vox)
Schubert:  Die Winterreise, Fischer-Dieskau/Demus
Brahms: Violin sonatas, Suk/Katchen
Bartok:  Concerto for Orchestra, ChicagoSO/Reiner
Shostakovich: Complete string quartets/Fitzwilliam Qt.
Part: Tabula rasa (ECM)

As I look over that list, I realize it's rather light on the Romantics, which surprises me a bit.  I don't know if I would say I have any strong "dislikes" per se,  but I guess I have an affinity for the more tightly structured music of the Baroque and Classical periods, some Modernists, and the more "classically"-oriented of the Romantics, such as Schubert and Brahms.

knight66

Thanks for that, a good crop and not one that looks like a beginners list. In a year you will have caught the fever and it will be a rather longer list.

Cheers,

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Maciek

Yes, I think it looks quite impressive too. Great performances! :D

Haffner

Shrunk

Quote from: knight on April 23, 2007, 03:02:30 AM
Thanks for that, a good crop and not one that looks like a beginners list. In a year you will have caught the fever and it will be a rather longer list.

Well, I don't want to leave the impression I'm a total newb.  I think I've already caught the fever, full on!  It's just that, compared to most the members here, I think I'll be receiving more than I'm giving. 

bhodges

Hi Shrunk, and welcome.  Another hearty "yea" for your good list, and I agree: after awhile it will be considerably longer!

--Bruce