Miklos Rozsa

Started by tjguitar, April 22, 2007, 01:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on November 20, 2017, 04:00:25 AM
My nerve went and I've ordered it (your fault). I'm justifying it to myself in that my wife can give it to me as a Christmas present. Having said that she hates giving me 'more CDs'.
::)
[asin]B075DSLWG7[/asin]
It arrived today but conscience makes me keep it as a Chrismas present...for myself of course.  >:D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

I feel Cato's pain.

Man, do I ever.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: tjguitar on November 20, 2017, 08:44:47 AM
El CID happened years ago! And it's amazing.

http://www.tadlowmusic.com/2010/11/el-cid/

There's a cheaper 2 CD version of that 3 CD set that had wider distribution:

[asin]B002Q4TMVQ[/asin]

Quote from: vandermolen on November 21, 2017, 02:20:48 PM
It arrived today but conscience makes me keep it as a Christmas present...for myself of course.  >:D

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 21, 2017, 02:46:46 PM
I feel Cato's pain.

Man, do I ever.

The cure is coming, also as a C h r i s t m a s present!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kyjo

Just discovered Rózsa's stirring Sinfonia Concertante for violin, cello, and orchestra. Much as I like his violin and cello concerti, I think I like this "concerto" for the two instruments combined even more! If you know any of Rózsa's other concert works you'll know what to expect: vibrant Hungarian folk coloring in the rhythms and harmonies (generally closer to Kodaly than Bartok) and exciting, virtuosic writing for soloists and orchestra alike. Next time two big-name soloists are thinking of teaming up to play the Brahms Double, they should consider playing this instead! This Naxos recording, featuring two soloists previously unknown to me, is excellent:

[asin]B000U7V9B2[/asin]

https://youtu.be/xOkjEpOPe5w
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on July 05, 2019, 08:44:32 PM
Just discovered Rózsa's stirring Sinfonia Concertante for violin, cello, and orchestra. Much as I like his violin and cello concerti, I think I like this "concerto" for the two instruments combined even more! If you know any of Rózsa's other concert works you'll know what do expect: vibrant Hungarian folk coloring in the rhythms and harmonies (generally closer to Kodaly than Bartok) and exciting, virtuosic writing for soloists and orchestra alike. Next time two big-name soloists are thinking of teaming up to play the Brahms Double, they should consider playing this instead! This Naxos recording, featuring two soloists previously unknown to me, is excellent:

[asin]B000U7V9B2[/asin]

I remember enjoying this CD Kyle. An encouragement to listen to it again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Just discovered Rózsa's stirring Sinfonia Concertante for violin, cello, and orchestra. Much as I like his violin and cello concerti, I think I like this "concerto" for the two instruments combined even more! If you know any of Rózsa's other concert works you'll know what do expect: vibrant Hungarian folk coloring in the rhythms and harmonies (generally closer to Kodaly than Bartok) and exciting, virtuosic writing for soloists and orchestra alike. Next time two big-name soloists are thinking of teaming up to play the Brahms Double, they should consider playing this instead! This Naxos recording, featuring two soloists previously unknown to me, is excellent:

[asin]B000U7V9B2[/asin]

There's also a recording on CPO.  I have not compared them in a long time, so I forget if I preferred one over the other.

cilgwyn

I recently bought the old Heifetz recording of Korngold's Violin Concerto;and I found myself enjoying the Rózsa Violin Concerto,on the same cd. Closer to Bartok,than Kodaly,yes! Listening to the piece,I was surprised that his concert pieces,don't get a bit more attention on this forum. (Korngold get's allot more! But,perhaps he's more,obviously,tuneful? Less astringent? You,tell me!) I also have a cd-r of orchestral works,conducted by the great man,himself;from an old Lp. These pieces do need stereo sound really. The sound seems to be in rather,dry,constricted mono. But,perhaps it's just my transfers (from one of those Vinyl Lp blogs!) But they are well worth hearing! When I've got a bit more dosh to spare I might explore some more of his music,in,hopefully,state of the art,digital quality,sound. Incidentally,I seem to  have read,somewhere,that Rózsa was one of the few movie composers,to not treat his concert music,as some kind of sideline,to his main career.

relm1

I recently met Rozsa's granddaughter and she's lovely.  She isn't a musician but was tickled by how much I admired his concert music which obviously meant much to him but he was just famous for his film music.  Not that the film music is bad, just that his concert music reveals a more folk inspired craftsmanship ala Bartok.  My friends and I are music geeks so were so joyfully telling her about how much we love various works of his and she said "you are all so cute excited you are by his music" but I thought she was so cute how to us, he was a wonderful and very sophisticated composer but to her, he was just grand dad playing with her.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on July 06, 2019, 06:47:12 AM
I recently met Rozsa's granddaughter and she's lovely.  She isn't a musician but was tickled by how much I admired his concert music which obviously meant much to him but he was just famous for his film music.  Not that the film music is bad, just that his concert music reveals a more folk inspired craftsmanship ala Bartok.  My friends and I are music geeks so were so joyfully telling her about how much we love various works of his and she said "you are all so cute excited you are by his music" but I thought she was so cute how to us, he was a wonderful and very sophisticated composer but to her, he was just grand dad playing with her.
What a lovely experience!
:)

cilgwyn

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 06, 2019, 10:41:23 AM
What a lovely experience!
:)

+1

Thanks for all the replies, guys! It's quite apparent that Rozsa held his concert music in equal (if not higher) regard to his film music, because it is of quite high quality.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

Just discovered Rózsa's stirring Sinfonia Concertante for violin, cello, and orchestra. Much as I like his violin and cello concerti, I think I like this "concerto" for the two instruments combined even more! If you know any of Rózsa's other concert works you'll know what to expect: vibrant Hungarian folk coloring in the rhythms and harmonies (generally closer to Kodaly than Bartok) and exciting, virtuosic writing for soloists and orchestra alike. Next time two big-name soloists are thinking of teaming up to play the Brahms Double, they should consider playing this instead! This Naxos recording, featuring two soloists previously unknown to me, is excellent:

[asin]B000U7V9B2[/asin]

It's a beauty.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

arpeggio

[asin]B000U7V9B2[/asin]

Thanks.  I just added to my wish list.

Daverz

Listened to the Naxos.  I'd have to give the edge to the CPO, which is beautifully recorded and more Hungarian sounding.

[asin]B0008JEKGS[/asin]

kyjo

Quote from: Daverz on July 07, 2019, 04:54:20 AM
Listened to the Naxos.  I'd have to give the edge to the CPO, which is beautifully recorded and more Hungarian sounding.

[asin]B0008JEKGS[/asin]

Good to know, thanks!