Author Topic: Schoeck Treatment  (Read 15879 times)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
Re: Schoeck Treatment
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2019, 01:49:17 PM »
Yes, indeed! Really exquisite and sensual weave of notes. I really like it, and it's good to try other Swiss composers like Honegger, Martin, and Andreae, Hermann, Brun, Bloch, Gerber, Flury (some riveting 1st Symphony there!), and Raff, why not.

Worth mentioning are the Cello concerto. Penthesilea and Venus look like two ultra-romantic operas, a sonorities wallow.

Sommernacht is wonderful, as are Elegie, op. 36 (song cycle for baritone and chamber orchestra), and Notturno (song cycle for baritone and string quartet).  But also don't overlook the piano/vocal lieder: over 300 songs.  There is a complete set of recordings, the Jecklin Edition.

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
Sommernacht is wonderful, as are Elegie, op. 36 (song cycle for baritone and chamber orchestra), and Notturno (song cycle for baritone and string quartet).  But also don't overlook the piano/vocal lieder: over 300 songs.  There is a complete set of recordings, the Jecklin Edition.

Interesting suggestions. Thank you.

I don't consider myself a big fan of Lieder/songs, but lately I've come to appreciate them more and more, and Schoeck appears a very promising composer about it.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2020, 07:57:01 AM »
This is something I've long wanted to do, and of course it took several OTHER projects that I should be working on right now for me to finally do that, namely the cleaning, updating, and generally sprucing-up of the Recommended Recordings Sections of the Surprised By Beauty website.

I've started with my favorite-among-favorites, Othmar Schoeck:

Othmar Schoeck - Recommended Recordings

https://surprisedbybeautyorg.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/othmar-schoeck-recommended-recordings/

Very informative, thanks Jens!

Between Schoeck, Schreker and Pfitzner I tread slowly, trying to find music - and recordings - that will stand the test of time (deep seated appreciation vs passing infatuation).

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2020, 02:24:05 AM »
Very informative, thanks Jens!

Between Schoeck, Schreker and Pfitzner I tread slowly, trying to find music - and recordings - that will stand the test of time (deep seated appreciation vs passing infatuation).

Thank you! I'm v. happy if any of this helps anyone else discovering - slowly - some unforeseen beauties!