Northern Irish Composers

Started by schnittkease, July 20, 2017, 02:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

A place to discuss composers from Northern Ireland.

Parsifal

NikF

I can only think of Howard Ferguson.

[asin]B0030UO9R2[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

schnittkease

vandermolen

The only one I know of is Archibald (A.J.) Potter who was a student if Vaughan Williams. I also have a Northern Irish
university friend called Derek Bell but I'm sure that he's not a composer!

There was a fine CD of Potter's music on Marco Polo including his uncharacteristically dark Sinfonia 'De Profundis' rather in the spirit of VW'4th and 6th symphonies. Unfortunately I can no longer find a trace of that CD online. Here is a link to one of the shorter and rather touching folk-music inspired works:
https://youtu.be/19vd0qSuLYA

PS I found the CD on the American Amazon site:

[asin]B00005AULA[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Nice to see Hamilton Harty considered 'Norhern Irish' in retrospect, unlike Protestant Dubliners like John Field and Stanford.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

schnittkease

Quote from: vandermolen on July 20, 2017, 10:49:35 PM
The only one I know of is Archibald (A.J.) Potter who was a student if Vaughan Williams. I also have a Northern Irish
university friend called Derek Bell but I'm sure that he's not a composer!

There was a fine CD of Potter's music on Marco Polo including his uncharacteristically dark Sinfonia 'De Profundis' rather in the spirit of VW'4th and 6th symphonies. Unfortunately I can no longer find a trace of that CD online. Here is a link to one of the shorter and rather touching folk-music inspired works:
https://youtu.be/19vd0qSuLYA

PS I found the CD on the American Amazon site:

[asin]B00005AULA[/asin]

I heard the YouTube video you linked - quite nice. It has a strong French impressionism influence...

vandermolen

Quote from: schnittkease on July 21, 2017, 08:37:33 AM
I heard the YouTube video you linked - quite nice. It has a strong French impressionism influence...
Potter's beautifully atmospheric 'Rhapsody under a High Sky' can be found on this very attractive CD:
[asin]B00000464V[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

lescamil

Quote from: schnittkease on July 20, 2017, 02:39:13 PM
A place to discuss composers from Northern Ireland.

They might not like it, but why not just lump them in with all the Irish composers (sans "Northern")?
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Mapman

I just saw a performance of Joan Trimble's Sonatina for 2 Pianos. It's an impressive work. As the graduate student who introduced the work nicely stated, it has "shadows" of Rachmaninoff and Debussy. The opening theme starts like Rachmaninoff, but has a dissonant twist.

(I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but she was born in what is now Northern Ireland.)

calyptorhynchus

As a footnote to Potter, he was born in Belfast, lived and studied in London and served in the British Army in ww2, then went to live Dublin after the war and stayed there. I think the Northern Ireland description is not very applicable to anything except sectarianism.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton