Author Topic: Olivier Messiaen (1908-1992)  (Read 98156 times)

snyprrr

Re: Olivier Messiaen (1908-1992) STEVEN OSBORNE VINGT REGARDS
« Reply #500 on: February 20, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
I'm finding Osborne almost too perfect in VR... almost, but it's still quite droolworthy,... I do like not hearing any clanking, it's just such a creamy piano image... too good...

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
Re: Olivier Messiaen (1908-1992) ORGAN MUSIC: MESSE & LIVRE-
« Reply #501 on: February 21, 2018, 07:56:04 AM »
Having a blast going through the Weir Cycle. I have now had my mind blown by the 'Messe de la Pentecote',

Went and listened to the same. Pretty good stuff, innit?!

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Olivier Messiaen (1908-1992) THE DARMSTADT ORGAN WORKS
« Reply #502 on: February 22, 2018, 05:50:08 AM »
Messe dd Pentecote
Livre d'Orgue

I have just discovered these two works and realize I have unearthed the "greatest", and, it seems, first Darmstadt influenced organ works. Except for Hindemith (who obviously didn't write Avant-Garde), I can't even think of who may even have contributed to the "Modern" organ repertoire. And these two are THE pieces, apparently!

IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THESE? COMMENT?

And then there's the Meditations (1969), which must be considered THE... well, it's written at the height of the decadent '60s,... I'm just saying it does seem to be scary music, making me think of 'Rosemary'sBaby' and 'The Exorcist',... but, of course, not in an obvious way, but in the way the old generation was reacting to the Leftist takeover of society... blah blah...

ANYHOW, Messiaen's organ works of his maturity don't seem to get talked about much.... :(

Yes the livre d'orgue is worth hearing, and it does sound as though there's not so often any sort of tonal resolution or memorable melody or story like.  I've never heard the messe de Pentecôte. I don't think Livre d'orgue was a mature work, he kind of grew out of modernity into something else, I think the mature works are the meditation sur Le mystère de la sainte trinité, and the livre du saint sacrement.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #503 on: February 22, 2018, 05:51:24 AM »
I'm finding Osborne almost too perfect in VR... almost, but it's still quite droolworthy,... I do like not hearing any clanking, it's just such a creamy piano image... too good...

I've heard him play it in concert three times! When you hear him he leaves a string impression of being a colourist, timbre is important to him.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

snyprrr

« Reply #504 on: February 22, 2018, 02:06:43 PM »
I've heard him play it in concert three times! When you hear him he leaves a string impression of being a colourist, timbre is important to him.

Yea...no... I am quite in awe of those super fast tinkling "bird stars" in the...6th??... ,and just his total command of the the tone of the whole thing... BUT he did make me crave Beroff, which I have now promptly acquired.But, those two extremes should fit me for a while.

Osborne does seem to leave Aimard in the dust, eh? Perhaps if Osborne had the Teldec piano image rather than the Hyperion one...??...

BTW-does your Osborne come in one of those odd turn of the century jewel boxes?

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
Re: Olivier Messiaen (1908-1992)
« Reply #505 on: December 10, 2018, 01:49:45 AM »

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #506 on: December 10, 2018, 02:30:41 AM »
Welcome new additions to my aviary are the Fauvettes de l'Herault, the last three tracks on this album.

Offline pjme

« Reply #507 on: December 26, 2018, 01:27:27 AM »
An unusual "Noêl" from Olivier and Yvonne.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qOPHvlaOCGY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qOPHvlaOCGY</a>

Lovely! Even also rather awkward...not even the faintest smile.

But : "C'est le Bon Dieu qui te réponds".

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #508 on: April 02, 2020, 02:53:20 AM »
After 3 years of having the recording, over the last 2 days I've finally listened to the complete Catalogue d'oiseaux for the first time. Hearing the birdsong outside inspired me to give it a go, and it's a very rewarding experience when the mood is right. I broke it up into sections, listening to the first six movements yesterday and the last seven this morning.

Offline CRCulver

« Reply #509 on: April 02, 2020, 04:38:43 PM »
There is a new monograph about the Catalogue d’oiseaux written by noted Messiaen experts Roderick Chadwick & Peter Hill. Worth checking out.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #510 on: September 11, 2020, 11:25:24 PM »
I stumbled upon this video, a guide through Des Canyons aux Etoiles. It's in French, but it does contain plenty of musical examples with the orchestra playing. From it, I finally discovered how some of the strange sounds in the fifth movement (Cedar Breaks and the Gift of Awe) are made. I knew from liner notes that somewhere in the piece, a trumpeter blew into a detached mouthpiece, and I thought that was in the second passage. Turns out what that is, is a cello or bass player bowing the bridge of the instrument. The trumpet mouthpiece plays in the next passage, accompanied by just wind machine and suspended cymbal.

https://youtu.be/ios_VJ01bcE?t=1986

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #511 on: September 12, 2020, 04:32:24 PM »
I stumbled upon this video, a guide through Des Canyons aux Etoiles. It's in French, but it does contain plenty of musical examples with the orchestra playing. From it, I finally discovered how some of the strange sounds in the fifth movement (Cedar Breaks and the Gift of Awe) are made. I knew from liner notes that somewhere in the piece, a trumpeter blew into a detached mouthpiece, and I thought that was in the second passage. Turns out what that is, is a cello or bass player bowing the bridge of the instrument. The trumpet mouthpiece plays in the next passage, accompanied by just wind machine and suspended cymbal.

https://youtu.be/ios_VJ01bcE?t=1986

Thanks for this, which also reminds me that it's been awhile since I have heard much Messiaen, other than the Quatuor.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY