Olivier Messiaen (1908-1992)

Started by bhodges, January 03, 2008, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I'm finding Osborne almost too perfect in VR... almost, but it's still quite droolworthy,... I do like not hearing any clanking, it's just such a creamy piano image... too good...

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: snyprrr on February 19, 2018, 10:00:16 AM
Having a blast going through the Weir Cycle. I have now had my mind blown by the 'Messe de la Pentecote',

Went and listened to the same. Pretty good stuff, innit?!

Mandryka

Quote from: snyprrr on February 08, 2018, 08:31:37 AM
Messe dd Pentecote
Livre d'Orgue

I have just discovered these two works and realize I have unearthed the "greatest", and, it seems, first Darmstadt influenced organ works. Except for Hindemith (who obviously didn't write Avant-Garde), I can't even think of who may even have contributed to the "Modern" organ repertoire. And these two are THE pieces, apparently!

IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THESE? COMMENT?

And then there's the Meditations (1969), which must be considered THE... well, it's written at the height of the decadent '60s,... I'm just saying it does seem to be scary music, making me think of 'Rosemary'sBaby' and 'The Exorcist',... but, of course, not in an obvious way, but in the way the old generation was reacting to the Leftist takeover of society... blah blah...

ANYHOW, Messiaen's organ works of his maturity don't seem to get talked about much.... :(

Yes the livre d'orgue is worth hearing, and it does sound as though there's not so often any sort of tonal resolution or memorable melody or story like.  I've never heard the messe de Pentecôte. I don't think Livre d'orgue was a mature work, he kind of grew out of modernity into something else, I think the mature works are the meditation sur Le mystère de la sainte trinité, and the livre du saint sacrement.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: snyprrr on February 20, 2018, 03:21:21 PM
I'm finding Osborne almost too perfect in VR... almost, but it's still quite droolworthy,... I do like not hearing any clanking, it's just such a creamy piano image... too good...

I've heard him play it in concert three times! When you hear him he leaves a string impression of being a colourist, timbre is important to him.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

snyprrr

Quote from: Mandryka on February 22, 2018, 04:51:24 AM
I've heard him play it in concert three times! When you hear him he leaves a string impression of being a colourist, timbre is important to him.

Yea...no... I am quite in awe of those super fast tinkling "bird stars" in the...6th??... ,and just his total command of the the tone of the whole thing... BUT he did make me crave Beroff, which I have now promptly acquired.But, those two extremes should fit me for a while.

Osborne does seem to leave Aimard in the dust, eh? Perhaps if Osborne had the Teldec piano image rather than the Hyperion one...??...

BTW-does your Osborne come in one of those odd turn of the century jewel boxes?

SurprisedByBeauty

aukhawk

Welcome new additions to my aviary are the Fauvettes de l'Herault, the last three tracks on this album.

pjme

An unusual "Noêl" from Olivier and Yvonne.

https://www.youtube.com/v/qOPHvlaOCGY

Lovely! Even also rather awkward...not even the faintest smile.

But : "C'est le Bon Dieu qui te réponds".

Maestro267

After 3 years of having the recording, over the last 2 days I've finally listened to the complete Catalogue d'oiseaux for the first time. Hearing the birdsong outside inspired me to give it a go, and it's a very rewarding experience when the mood is right. I broke it up into sections, listening to the first six movements yesterday and the last seven this morning.

CRCulver

There is a new monograph about the Catalogue d'oiseaux written by noted Messiaen experts Roderick Chadwick & Peter Hill. Worth checking out.

Maestro267

I stumbled upon this video, a guide through Des Canyons aux Etoiles. It's in French, but it does contain plenty of musical examples with the orchestra playing. From it, I finally discovered how some of the strange sounds in the fifth movement (Cedar Breaks and the Gift of Awe) are made. I knew from liner notes that somewhere in the piece, a trumpeter blew into a detached mouthpiece, and I thought that was in the second passage. Turns out what that is, is a cello or bass player bowing the bridge of the instrument. The trumpet mouthpiece plays in the next passage, accompanied by just wind machine and suspended cymbal.

https://youtu.be/ios_VJ01bcE?t=1986

bhodges

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 12, 2020, 12:25:24 AM
I stumbled upon this video, a guide through Des Canyons aux Etoiles. It's in French, but it does contain plenty of musical examples with the orchestra playing. From it, I finally discovered how some of the strange sounds in the fifth movement (Cedar Breaks and the Gift of Awe) are made. I knew from liner notes that somewhere in the piece, a trumpeter blew into a detached mouthpiece, and I thought that was in the second passage. Turns out what that is, is a cello or bass player bowing the bridge of the instrument. The trumpet mouthpiece plays in the next passage, accompanied by just wind machine and suspended cymbal.

https://youtu.be/ios_VJ01bcE?t=1986

Thanks for this, which also reminds me that it's been awhile since I have heard much Messiaen, other than the Quatuor.

--Bruce

bhodges

Tonight, a 2015 concert from the archives of Da Camera, based in Houston. Marilyn Nonken and Sarah Rothenberg perform Messiaen's Visions de l'Amen for two pianos, with lighting by Jennifer Tipton. I heard this live and thought it was quite moving.

It's free, with registration (email and password).

https://www.dacamera.com/?event=messiaen-visions-de-lamen&event_date=2020-10-03

--Bruce

bhodges

Photos of the Messiaen are too large to post, so here's my tweet showing Visions with Jennifer Tipton's lighting. Anyone who admires the piece (one of the greats for two pianos) will want to see this at some point.

Recorded in 2015 in Houston, Texas.

https://twitter.com/BruceHodgesNY/status/1312560719649550336?s=19

--Bruce

vers la flamme

What are some of the great recordings of the Vingt Regards? This is a major work of Messiaen's that is totally absent from my library. There are so many out there... I'm curious about Steven Osborne and Pierre-Laurent Aimard.

I always enjoy Messiaen's music but I must be in the mood for it. I have been meaning to explore it all in further depth. All I really know is the Quatuor & the Turangalîla and love both, especially the former.

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 07, 2020, 03:25:26 PM
What are some of the great recordings of the Vingt Regards? This is a major work of Messiaen's that is totally absent from my library. There are so many out there... I'm curious about Steven Osborne and Pierre-Laurent Aimard.

I always enjoy Messiaen's music but I must be in the mood for it. I have been meaning to explore it all in further depth. All I really know is the Quatuor & the Turangalîla and love both, especially the former.

I ordered Håkon Austbø on Naxos. Excited to spend time with the music.

I want to get some more of Myung-Whun Chung's Messiaen. Thoughts on his Turangalîla and Éclairs?

aukhawk

Osborne playing Vingt Regards is on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrOuFIABcDo

I have a recording from BBC iPlayer but I think that's no longer available.  Not sure if the above is the same one or not.  Osborne takes his time - it's the slowest performance of Vingt Regards I've heard and it's wonderful.  I haven't heard the Hyperion recording.
I generally don't like Aimard - I have a few of his Oiseaux but they sound rather heavy-handed to me.

I hope you watched that 'Noel' video in reply #507 a few posts above on this page - that is one of the Vingt (No.13) played for the composer by his wife - as such it's very moving.

MusicTurner

Batagov is highly unusual, actually, if you'll forgive me, with an almost Rachmaninov-like heavy, both emotional and spiritual approach, and getting and hearing that recording completely changed the work's appeal for me. I also have or have had Beroff, Hill (now culled), the early Loriod (which I also liked somewhat), and the old Oliveira on Vox, whose recording I don't remember anything about, but whose 'Catalogue ...' I like.

bhodges

I've only heard two: the landmark recording by Peter Serkin (1975) and Pierre-Laurent Aimard (2000). Even if you like other versions better, Serkin's is a marvel, despite some rather dry sound. (To some ears, that might be a plus.) Aimard's is also intensely spiritual, but with much better sonics.

Looking at versions available, I'm surprised and pleased to find so many. I would imagine both Osborne and Austbø are equally excellent.

Re: the Myung-Whun Chung's recordings, I love them. Turangalîla has lots of competition, but Éclairs, not so much. Sound quality of both is exemplary -- IMHO, a must in these scores.

--Bruce

vers la flamme

Quote from: Brewski on October 14, 2020, 11:26:23 AM
I've only heard two: the landmark recording by Peter Serkin (1975) and Pierre-Laurent Aimard (2000). Even if you like other versions better, Serkin's is a marvel, despite some rather dry sound. (To some ears, that might be a plus.) Aimard's is also intensely spiritual, but with much better sonics.

Looking at versions available, I'm surprised and pleased to find so many. I would imagine both Osborne and Austbø are equally excellent.

Re: the Myung-Whun Chung's recordings, I love them. Turangalîla has lots of competition, but Éclairs, not so much. Sound quality of both is exemplary -- IMHO, a must in these scores.

--Bruce

I think I'll get the Chung Turangalîla—the only recording I have of that work is Ozawa from the '60s on RCA and the sound quality leaves something to be desired.