Olivier Messiaen (1908-1992)

Started by bhodges, January 03, 2008, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

early grey

Are you saying there are no similarities between the two languages or that I've been misled in this one respect? in which case I apologise. Do you like the music?

North Star

Quote from: early grey on June 03, 2015, 07:13:47 AM
Are you saying there are no similarities between the two languages or that I've been misled in this one respect? in which case I apologise. Do you like the music?
There are no similarities between Finnish and Sanskrit.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2015, 05:32:26 AM
Karjala / Karelia is not 'another name for Finland'. It's a part of Eastern Finland that was mostly stolen by the Soviet Union during & after the wars. In the 18th century and before it was often enough under Russian rule and the culture has always been heavily influenced by the Orthodox Church compared to the rest of Finland.

Calling it stolen is naked aggression towards poor beleaguered Russia.

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on June 03, 2015, 01:06:03 PM
Calling it stolen is naked aggression towards poor beleaguered Russia.
I suppose I should thank Lenin for letting Finland declare itself independent at all. Of course he thought Finland would soon turn into a soviet state out of its own will.

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2015, 04:21:27 PM
I suppose I should thank Lenin for letting Finland declare itself independent at all. Of course he thought Finland would soon turn into a soviet state out of its own will.
Instead a century of Finnish aggression. Probably signed treaties and everything.

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on June 03, 2015, 04:31:00 PM
Instead a century of Finnish aggression. Probably signed treaties and everything.
With some bartender, I should imagine.

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Not sure if this has been posted, but this is a very interesting (though short) guide to birdsong.

http://www.oliviermessiaen.org/messiaen2index.htm

Side-by-side examples (recordings) of actual birdsong with the corresponding Messiaen transcription. I live in the mid-Atlantic (US) and I easily recognize the Baltimore oriole, Virginia cardinal, and wood thrush. In fact, I live by the woods and there is a wood thrush singing outside my apartment every morning (including right now)!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

bhodges

(Also posted in the WAYLT thread)

Recorded just 3 nights ago in Luxembourg, here is Messiaen's Turangalîla-Symphonie with Gustavo Dudamel and the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela, with Yuja Wang on piano, and Cynthia Millar on ondes martenot. So far, fabulous.

http://concert.arte.tv/de/gustavo-dudamel-dirige-la-turangalila-symphonie-dolivier-messiaen

--Bruce

lescamil

I'm disgusted with Yuja Wang's playing and part of me feels sick that she would attempt a work I love so much, but the other part of me is so curious as to what she and Dudamel can do with it. If Aimard could play the work at 19 and do very well with it, anything is possible.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

snyprrr

Took 'Les Canyons...' (Chung) for a spin. Yea, this whole piece is somewhat spare, and I'm starting to enjoy the solo piano sections better.I a way, I CAN see the moonlit, starry skies in the music, though, moreso in the "spaces". tHE WHOLE PIECE KIND OF ALSO REMINDS ME OF A 70S SCI-FI.... MAYBE 60S iTALIAN SCI-FI.... 9ack) but it's all very angular, modern, and yet very controlled and polite, though jarring....

why am i writing this??? oy vey

WHAT IS THE SINGLE BEST INTRO TO HIS PIANO MUSIC? PLAYER AND SOUND OF UTMOST IMPORT.

EigenUser

Quote from: snyprrr on January 16, 2016, 07:51:44 AM
Took 'Les Canyons...' (Chung) for a spin. Yea, this whole piece is somewhat spare, and I'm starting to enjoy the solo piano sections better.I a way, I CAN see the moonlit, starry skies in the music, though, moreso in the "spaces". tHE WHOLE PIECE KIND OF ALSO REMINDS ME OF A 70S SCI-FI.... MAYBE 60S iTALIAN SCI-FI.... 9ack) but it's all very angular, modern, and yet very controlled and polite, though jarring....

why am i writing this??? oy vey

WHAT IS THE SINGLE BEST INTRO TO HIS PIANO MUSIC? PLAYER AND SOUND OF UTMOST IMPORT.

Isn't it a wonderful piece? I will admit that I have the opposite reaction that you have. In particular, I feel that the 2nd solo piano movement (movement 9) is painfully long.

That slow (8th) movement, though! One of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. The cover of the scores that I have for the piece depict it so well:
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mandryka

Paul Jacobs playing the Quatre Etudes De Rythme.

Peter Hill playing La fauvette passerinette

Anton Batagov playing the 20 Regards

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dax

Thomas Rajna playingRegard de l'esprit de joie

Yvonne Loriod playing the Preludes

Somebody playing Canteyodjaya

Chronochromie

The early Preludes played by Loriod or maybe Visions de l'Amen for two pianos played by the Labèque sisters.

SimonNZ

The best introduction is straight into the deep end:

Catalogue d'Oiseaux performed by Yvonne Loroid...played so loud its like you're inside the instrument, awash in every overtone and decay

Chronochromie

One must keep in mind that Loriod made two recordings of Catalogue d'oiseaux. The one in the Messiaen Edition is generally slower than the other one that I found on Spotify with this cover:

I prefer this one, but the sound is worse than the one in the Messiaen Edition.

Monsieur Croche

My two cents:

Vingt Regards Sur L'Enfant-Jésus ~ Roger Muraro, piano.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Mandryka

Quote from: Chronochromie on January 17, 2016, 07:20:24 PM
One must keep in mind that Loriod made two recordings of Catalogue d'oiseaux. The one in the Messiaen Edition is generally slower than the other one that I found on Spotify with this cover:

I prefer this one, but the sound is worse than the one in the Messiaen Edition.

Yes I preferred the fast one.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dax on January 17, 2016, 02:57:48 PM

Somebody playing Canteyodjaya

Who? I couldn't think of anyone when I made my list.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dax on January 17, 2016, 02:57:48 PM
Thomas Rajna playingRegard de l'esprit de joie

Never off LP, right?