Peteris Vasks (born 1946)

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2007, 07:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 14, 2021, 02:06:40 PM
I would go with the Rowland - his recorded version was the first I heard, and I was really impacted by it. I thought the Storgårds was excellent, although you probably can't go wrong,  PD 🙂

Kremer and his Kremerata Baltica on Teldec (Warner now of course) is worth hearing, too. There are many excellent performances of Distant Light, though. I haven't heard a bad one yet.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on September 14, 2021, 06:28:08 PM
I received these two CDs about a week ago.

Except for Distant Light (which gets an excellent performance here) and Voices, everything on them were first encounters. I have to admit the three Musicas didn't enthuse me.

Anyone else have these CDs?

On a different tangent, in looking for the Second Symphony, the only recording I can find is the Storgards on Ondine, which is priced like an OOP item on Amazon. Is there another recording? Is it, like Symphony 1 aka Voices, known under a different name?

I don't know those BR Klassik recordings, Jeffrey, but this label has been hit/miss for me. I only know Musica Adventus, which isn't featured on that second recording of course. I do own two recordings of Musica Dolorsa, but I haven't heard either one of them: one on ECM and the other on BIS. As for the Musica Serena, this BR Klassik must be the world premiere recording as I can't find any other recording of it. I've got Musica Appassionata in this recording:

But I haven't heard it and I have no idea where the disc is at the moment, so I'm not worried about that one. :) Viatore and Symphony for Strings, "Voices" have received a few recordings and I like both of these works. Of course, I was talking about the 2nd Cello Concerto last night and it's an exquisite piece.

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on September 14, 2021, 06:28:08 PM
I received these two CDs about a week ago.

Except for Distant Light (which gets an excellent performance here) and Voices, everything on them were first encounters. I have to admit the three Musicas didn't enthuse me.

Anyone else have these CDs?

On a different tangent, in looking for the Second Symphony, the only recording I can find is the Storgards on Ondine, which is priced like an OOP item on Amazon. Is there another recording? Is it, like Symphony 1 aka Voices, known under a different name?
Jeffrey, there's another recording of Symphony No.2 here. This is a marvellous CD in all respects. For personal reasons I find the Esenvalds work 'Visions of Arctic Night' to be incredibly moving as well. I'm debating whether to get the new recording of Symphony No.3 (actually it's a bit on a one-sided debate  ::)). I already have the Ondine recording. Symphonies 2 and 3 are my favourite works by Vasks. I recently bought the Viola Concerto but haven't listened to it yet. My good friend Johan (Christo of this forum) who is sadly ill at the moment (I send him my very best wishes if he reads this), wrote the excellent notes for the Ondine recording of Symphony No. 2.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 14, 2021, 10:48:43 AM
All fine choices, indeed. 8) Yes, I'll probably agree with you about Distant Light. It seems like one of his signature works and it's certainly the most recorded work, but this of course doesn't mean it's his "best" work, but it does feel like a masterpiece to me.

Probably the Viola Concerto is a close contender, too. This is a remarkably beautiful piece..

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on September 14, 2021, 10:36:06 PM
Jeffrey, there's another recording of Symphony No.2 here. This is a marvellous CD in all respects. For personal reasons I find the Esenvalds work 'Visions of Arctic Night' to be incredibly moving as well. I'm debating whether to get the new recording of Symphony No.3 (actually it's a bit on a one-sided debate  ::)). I already have the Ondine recording. Symphonies 2 and 3 are my favourite works by Vasks. I recently bought the Viola Concerto but haven't listened to it yet. My good friend Johan (Christo of this forum) who is sadly ill at the moment (I send him my very best wishes if he reads this), wrote the excellent notes for the Ondine recording of Symphony No. 2.

Thanks. That's on the list for the next batch of purchases.

Foxandpeng is quite accurate about the Viola Concerto.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on September 15, 2021, 04:06:31 AM
Thanks. That's on the list for the next batch of purchases.

Foxandpeng is quite accurate about the Viola Concerto.
You won't regret it Jeffrey - it's a fine CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 14, 2021, 10:36:06 PM

I didn't realize Johan had wrote the liner notes for that Ondine recording of Distant Light and Symphony No. 2. That is awesome! Yes, I hope he's doing well.

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 14, 2021, 11:55:19 PM
Probably the Viola Concerto is a close contender, too. This is a remarkably beautiful piece..

Yes, that's a fine work, too. Wonderful work.

Symphonic Addict

The world-premiere recording of Vasks' Violin Concerto No. 2 'In Evening Light' to be released on April 26th.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 11, 2024, 06:20:04 PMThe world-premiere recording of Vasks' Violin Concerto No. 2 'In Evening Light' to be released on April 26th.

That definitely goes into the shopping cart. Thank you.

Pohjolas Daughter

I just found his viola concerto on youtube and listened to the third movement (as I couldn't find the first--which I've just run across).  Lovely piece!  Have the first movement on now.  It's with Maxim Rysanov.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 12, 2024, 05:12:14 AMI just found his viola concerto on youtube and listened to the third movement (as I couldn't find the first--which I've just run across).  Lovely piece!  Have the first movement on now.  It's with Maxim Rysanov.

PD
Yes! I have that CD.
As long as you are on YT, there are at least couple of performances of Lonely Angel.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on April 12, 2024, 07:05:01 AMYes! I have that CD.
As long as you are on YT, there are at least couple of performances of Lonely Angel.
Do you have a favorite recording or performance of it?

I've found one on yt with Daniel Rowland which I'll give a shot in a bit.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2019, 10:31:38 PMAmazon (fortunately) tells me that I purchased that CD in 2014. Now I need to locate it ::)
I found this CD very engaging. I already had the highest opinion of Symphony 2 but I found the Esenvalds work to be especially moving.
Did you ever find it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 12, 2024, 07:18:58 AMDo you have a favorite recording or performance of it?

I've found one on yt with Daniel Rowland which I'll give a shot in a bit.  :)
Enjoyed it...though I did feel like comforting that angel.  :(  As if I could....That said, I'd still try.

Currently, checking out his cello concerto--here: 
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 11, 2024, 06:20:04 PMThe world-premiere recording of Vasks' Violin Concerto No. 2 'In Evening Light' to be released on April 26th.

Definitely top of my 'wants' list.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Enjoyed his cello concerto...will have to revisit it soon.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 12, 2024, 08:38:53 AMDid you ever find it?

PD
Yes I did but haven't listened to it properly yet. Thanks for the reminder PD.