The Lachenmann Lacuna

Started by not edward, January 03, 2008, 07:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: jessop on November 18, 2017, 05:09:24 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on which is the best recordings of the string quartets?

Also, listening to Ausklang right now.

I am curious to learn more about his compositional process actually........................

Arditti
Calder(?)
JACK

Yes, I'd also like to know...

Quote from: Mandryka on November 19, 2017, 12:27:59 AM
I do like what Arditti do, the timbres, the silences, the recording perspective, the way they build and release tension.

Heard the others? I was tempted to get all three, but,... oy,... yea,... no.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: snyprrr on November 20, 2017, 01:38:02 PM
Arditti
Calder(?)
JACK

I recently compared Arditti with JACK, and although I prefer Arditti I did think the recording quality of JACK was just as good but the interpretation a little less emotionally intense. Softer dynamics were much softer than Arditti though, which I really liked.

snyprrr

Quote from: jessop on November 20, 2017, 03:32:33 PM
I recently compared Arditti with JACK, and although I prefer Arditti I did think the recording quality of JACK was just as good but the interpretation a little less emotionally intense. Softer dynamics were much softer than Arditti though, which I really liked.

lol, that doesn't help my wallet!!!! I need a clear cut victor to save $$$!!!

Lachenmann "emotionally intense"????

Mandryka

Quote from: snyprrr on November 20, 2017, 01:38:02 PM
Arditti
Calder(?)
JACK

Yes, though I should let you know that I'm mostly interested in the second.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: snyprrr on November 21, 2017, 05:42:41 AM
lol, that doesn't help my wallet!!!! I need a clear cut victor to save $$$!!!

Lachenmann "emotionally intense"????

Yes I think Arditti Quartet play with a lot of emotion

snyprrr

Quote from: Mandryka on November 18, 2017, 11:56:23 PM
I'd  be very interested to hear comments on the Diotima Quartet's recording of the 2nd, which I'm thinking of buying,

whoops, forgot to tell you this has been my go-to recording for quite some time. Better than Arditti/Montaigne (don't know about Kairos), and the Nono is the best I've heard. MUST HAVE!!!!

Mandryka

Quote from: snyprrr on November 26, 2017, 07:35:31 AM
whoops, forgot to tell you this has been my go-to recording for quite some time. Better than Arditti/Montaigne (don't know about Kairos), and the Nono is the best I've heard. MUST HAVE!!!!

I have it now, I'm not ready  to say how I feel about it, and I've not had the chance to hear the Nono, but thanks for making me aware that Arditti have  recorded the second quartet twice. It's a very impressive bit of music (the Lachenmann)

I also have a concert recording of Diotima playing the third quartet, problematic sound (it cuts out) so I find it a bit painful to listen to - I hope they'll release it though.

Mandryka

Quote from: jessop on November 21, 2017, 01:09:12 PM
Yes I think Arditti Quartet play with a lot of emotion

Yes, or I'd put it a bit differentlyly - what they do is sensual rather than conceptual. (More so than eg Diotima, and this ,any be a reason why I will end up prefering Arditti (Kairos)

bhodges

Fresh from New Year's Day, here's the world premiere of Marche fatale (2017, version for large orchestra), which anyone who loves Lachenmann needs to hear. I will be doing some research, trying to ascertain exactly what is going on here, but in the meantime...

http://www.youtube.com/v/K6QWUHbNHAw

--Bruce

Joaquimhock

"Dans la vie il faut regarder par la fenêtre"

amw

Quote from: Brewski on January 09, 2018, 07:37:02 AM
Fresh from New Year's Day, here's the world premiere of March fatale (2017, version for large orchestra), which anyone who loves Lachenmann needs to hear. I will be doing some research, trying to ascertain exactly what is going on here, but in the meantime...

http://www.youtube.com/v/K6QWUHbNHAw

--Bruce
Welllllll. That's 7 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.

Brian

Quote from: amw on January 09, 2018, 05:57:23 PM
Welllllll. That's 7 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.
;D ;D ;D ;D

I kept waiting for the plot twist. There...wasn't one. It wasn't painful, but it was peculiar.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on January 09, 2018, 06:17:10 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D

I kept waiting for the plot twist. There...wasn't one.

Yes there is, at 4,34.

Mandryka

I listened to it again. It is listenable, nicely made and diverting. The problem is that moment at 4,34.
It's so shocking at that point that after it it's hard to see see the piece as just a diversion, it's as if the 4,34 incident seeks to give it a "meaning" and not just be a nice bit of music to listen to.  A similar thing happens in Finnissy's last quartet, where this time the semantically loaded event is bird song.

It's tempting to say that these pieces -- both the Lachenmann and the Finnissy -- are pretentious, and vacuous. But these guys are serious musicians so I don't want to dismiss them, I'd rather believe that the fault is my own lack of imagination.

amw

Quote from: Mandryka on January 10, 2018, 10:52:48 AMBut these guys are serious musicians so I don't want to dismiss them, I'd rather believe that the fault is my own lack of imagination.

I personally think it's utter garbage. Serious musicians do write utter garbage sometimes, for profit or political motives or simply having a deadline and no inspiration (anyone listened to Der glorreiche Augenblick lately??)

Specifically, it's the kind of garbage a very self-important and clever third-year conservatoire student would come up with accompanied by an explanatory note about how the music represents the decadence of late stage capitalism, or the omnipresent kitschification of the classical canon, or whatever, but who has no actual ideas for what should be the alternative to capitalism or the classical canon, and to some extent still wants to participate in those things, just in a postmodern and ironic sort of way. It's garbage because it's essentially parasitic, an empty critique that offers nothing. It's the same as all those guys like Sørensen and Pesson whose music is just commentaries on the state and history of classical music, filled with lots of special effects but which with enough exposure starts to come across as though what they really want to write is string quartets and symphonies in F major in 4/4 time with cadences, but they also don't want to lose the respect and cachet that comes from associating with the Darmstadt Ferienkürse and the Donaueschinger Musiktage and the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival and the Gaudeamus Muziekweek. Like, if you genuinely believe music history is over and just want to write whatever classical canon inspired stuff or Brahms collages or Sousa marches, at least do the intellectually honest thing (like Valentin Silvestrov, who just writes pastiches now, some of which are actually quite charming) and stop trying to suck Paul Griffiths' dick. End of rant.

blablawsky

Quote from: amw on January 12, 2018, 02:00:27 AM
I personally think it's utter garbage. Serious musicians do write utter garbage sometimes, for profit or political motives or simply having a deadline and no inspiration (anyone listened to Der glorreiche Augenblick lately??)

Specifically, it's the kind of garbage a very self-important and clever third-year conservatoire student would come up with accompanied by an explanatory note about how the music represents the decadence of late stage capitalism, or the omnipresent kitschification of the classical canon, or whatever, but who has no actual ideas for what should be the alternative to capitalism or the classical canon, and to some extent still wants to participate in those things, just in a postmodern and ironic sort of way. It's garbage because it's essentially parasitic, an empty critique that offers nothing. It's the same as all those guys like Sørensen and Pesson whose music is just commentaries on the state and history of classical music, filled with lots of special effects but which with enough exposure starts to come across as though what they really want to write is string quartets and symphonies in F major in 4/4 time with cadences, but they also don't want to lose the respect and cachet that comes from associating with the Darmstadt Ferienkürse and the Donaueschinger Musiktage and the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival and the Gaudeamus Muziekweek. Like, if you genuinely believe music history is over and just want to write whatever classical canon inspired stuff or Brahms collages or Sousa marches, at least do the intellectually honest thing (like Valentin Silvestrov, who just writes pastiches now, some of which are actually quite charming) and stop trying to suck Paul Griffiths' dick. End of rant.
I hope this is not the direction Lachenmann continues in. There's a haunted carnival sort of thing going on in this piece that I wouldn't mind listening to while reading something 'creepy' but I don't expect him to feel genuinely good about this piece. Or I should say, I'm not attracted to this piece.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Damn what a shame I missed out on that video. It seems to have been promptly taken down. I want to find out what this new style sounds like...........

Cato

Quote from: jessop on January 13, 2018, 03:24:26 PM
Damn what a shame I missed out on that video. It seems to have been promptly taken down. I want to find out what this new style sounds like...........

Here is another version:

https://www.youtube.com/v/u-gI9u-bjHo
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Thanks I 'look forward' to checking this out properly soon...............................